Champions League 2017/18

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I cannot fucking believe that people still rate the league above Cl. The league is difficult to win no doubt but the CL is even harder to win.

Different styles of play, more intensity, more unpredictability plus you need a super strong mentality to deal with all the random variables.

Of course the CL is much more prestigious but the talks that some had about giving up on the league is sheer craziness. The league the foundation, the CL is the icing on the top.

Centauri B

Preference has nothing to do with it. It's about strenghts and weaknesses. Madrid have problems with motivation and consistency in the long run (they do eventually regroup, but it's already difficult for La Liga once that happens), Barca have problems matching their peaks with the period in which CL top games are played.

This.

For some reason, we play our best football in the first half of the season, and tend to diminish afterwards. This has been true since Pep days.

serghei

The sense I get from browsing multiple forums is that general football fans watch much less La Liga than some had expected, I think it wouldn't be far off base to claim very few outside Spain watch any La Liga game without one of the big three playing. And seriously, nobody really cares about how many league titles we won (still less than Real Madrid by the way). CL is where the eyes are.

Seems odd to me. In my country it's very popular. They are weekly talk shows about every round, tactics analysis, extensive coverage before every derby, interviews. Probably in Latin and South American countries La Liga is very popular. Probably Germanic people watch less of it. Don't really know about other continents.

Of course the CL is much more prestigious but the talks that some had about giving up on the league is sheer craziness. The league the foundation, the CL is the icing on the top.

That's how every club bar Madrid see it probably.

Last edited:

kattanib

Very true.

If Barcelona beats Madrid on aggregate this year in La Liga, then Barca is better (not objective, check your logic)

If Barcelona and Madrid play against the same exact teams, but overall Barcelona performs better, then Barcelona is the better team (not objective, check your logic)

If Barcelona play a set of teams and Madrid plays another set of teams that are completely different and Madrid end up going further in the compition, then Madrid is the better team (very objective statement, don't dare to say otherwise or else you are delusional)

Can any of you clowns logically argue against this sarcastic post? Didn't think so

hellsangel1

But yeah, there is something about La Liga that for even me as a supporter is like "aaah, we can afford to pick and choose when we want to win it, so long as it doesn't seem like we don't care about home trophies". There's no obsession as much as there is about CL. CL results and prestige go global. If you embarrass yourself in the CL the whole world sees it, not so much with the league. Less consequential to have no regularity.

That sentiment has changed because of how the quality of La Liga has declined from what it used to be in the late 90’s up until 2008. If this were 2010 or the first 2 Mourinho years where Real were all hung-ho for the League, I would really savor this League title but quite frankly this is the most dissapointing Barca squad that I’ve seen in well over a decade. This feels more like things coming to an end with Iniesta surely gone and an aging Messi,Suarez and Busquets. Pique isn’t getting any younger either and given the additions we’ve made the last few years, i’m not very confident that our current leaders will make the greatest of decisions going forward.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Very true.

If Barcelona beats Madrid on aggregate this year in La Liga, then Barca is better (not objective, check your logic)

If Barcelona and Madrid play against the same exact teams, but overall Barcelona performs better, then Barcelona is the better team (not objective, check your logic)

If Barcelona play a set of teams and Madrid plays another set of teams that are completely different and Madrid end up going further in the compition, then Madrid is the better team (very objective statement, don't dare to say otherwise or else you are delusional)

In the Guardiola era we were clearly the better team, after that it has been quite even. I don't think Real Madrid is necessarily better than us, and I don't think we are necessarily better than Real Madrid right now. But in the eyes of your average football fans and experts etc. Real Madrid is definitely more prestigious than us. Actually, no one team comes close.

kattanib

In the Guardiola era we were clearly the better team, after that it has been quite even. I don't think Real Madrid is necessarily better than us, and I don't think we are necessarily better than Real Madrid right now. But in the eyes of your average football fans and experts etc. Real Madrid is definitely more prestigious than us. Actually, no one team comes close.

I hear you. As a Barca fan, it feels like there is no need for the team to prove that they are a better team than Madrid since we've beaten them left and right and won more La Ligas over the past few years. The only true enemy we need to overcome is our own fuckups.

Last edited:

Givenchy

agree that most football fans see Madrid as more prestigious and thats fair enough, its a fact they've won more in total. tonight though, most fans and other forums I've seen are wondering how Madrid just beat Bayern 1-2 playing like that :lol:

serghei

There's no doubt Madrid is the most prestigious club. It's pretty much a fact.

The conversation becomes more interesting when you talk about teams, since many teams from many clubs have been amazing during their peak years.

barcafan161

For club teams, perhaps. The fact is that Real Madrid and Barcelona start in 3 comps each year, so why should the CL count more than league + CDR? It shouldn't, because Real Madrid lost 2 competitions, and are currently in the semi's of CL.

It is reguarded the best by pretty much everybody. Winning in europe is the highest honour you can get. Winning league titles is great but for some that means little given the comp.

real clearly care more about CL than league play this year.

KingLeo10

I would hope we became barca fans because we won big trophies and also won them in style. The fact that Madrid has won more than other historic clubs has been the case for decades now...and I don't see it changing. Prestige isn't only about trophy count. In terms of stature in football, Barca is not inferior to Real in any way, or we wouldn't have attracted so many top players over the years. Bayern, I'd argue is also right up there with the Spanish duo and Milan too before they went extinct.

El Gato

Villarato!
not sure you (not you) held the same zeal for CL as a fanbase and team when you guys were struggling between 02-12. or for 30 some years between 60s and 90s. you guys have had your peaks and lows, like every other elite club :lol: the problem is you're at a peak now, hence the "CL is in our DNA" talk and everything else is meh.

Uh, no. Zeal was always there. The two league titles under Capello and Schuster were merely distractions from the curse of 1/8s at the time.

ebc_99

There's no doubt Madrid is the most prestigious club. It's pretty much a fact.

The conversation becomes more interesting when you talk about teams, since many teams from many clubs have been amazing during their peak years.

It's not really a fact, they are more successful than Barca but I wouldn't say more prestigious. Our greatest teams captured the imagination in a way this Real side and others have failed to do.

George_Costanza

lol @ the meltdown in this thread

200w.webp

Home of Barca Fans