Champions League 2017/18

Horatio

You're welcome
I am ashamed. That’s all I have to say about that embarrassment. Well, that and Unai Emery should never manage another match for PSG.

Welcome back to the forums. Your honesty is appreciated.

BTW I thought PSG was a joy to watch in comparison to Real. Sometimes it seemed they try to emulate tiki-taka and solve everything through passing but then one player botches it up. But the build-up play was enjoyable and Neymar and Mbappe opened their magic box at times. Unfortunately no efficiency in terms of scoring from both players.

Last edited:

NotInHere

Can't believe PSG bottled this, this Madrid side has been barely hanging on for the last couple of years, I thought a new young emerging team would have knocked them out once and for all

Eyeopener

PSG handed Real the win. Not only that but also a 2 goal lead. Hard to come back from that, no doubt that PSG will score and probably win the tie in Paris but Real wil also score at least one goal.

Liverpool are the dark horses in this years CL campaign. Their attacking trio is the best attack in Europe. Yeah, they can all sudden give away 2 or 3 goals and their midfield is besides hard working nothing special, but on their night they can rip any teams defence to pieces.

That being said, This years CL is Bayern's. It's written in the stars. Struggling first, lose 3-0 to PSG, fire their coach and become the laughing stock of Europe. Out of nowhere the return of Don Jupp Heynckes is announced and suddenly they transform into a team who look like being on steroids. I'm reading alot of comments saying Barca is the only team who can stop Real. Well, i've got news for ya, Heynckes is flying under the radar. You can talk all you want about Guardiola and all those other ''swag'' managers who are loved by the media but none of those guys is on par with uncle Heyckes. Bayern are playing fast, direct, physical German football again and are getting the results. No tiki taka imitation bullshitt but collective good organized calculated proper football. In less than a month this guy had Alaba and Muller, who both forgot how to play football in the 16 months before, back to being worldclass. Boateng is playing better with each week gone by, he returned Javi Martinez back to the midfield where he belongs and even Coman is starting to look like a world beater.

You guys just wait and see. While all the hype and attention seems to be going to Pep, PSG, Messi's Barca and back to back champions Real it's Bayern who are best placed to win this years CL. Bayern will murder City and Real (especially with what happend last year's QF in the Bernabeu) and I fancy them also over Barcelona. A fit Bayern will beat any team this season in a 2 legged tie. One of his quotes in the press since he took over was ''I know how to win the Champions League.'' Indeed, out of 3 participation he reached the final on all 3 and won the whole thing 2 times. That's a warning. Jupp Heynckes is not here to play.

Last edited:

Barcilliant

PSG handed Real the win. Not only that but also a 2 goal lead. Hard to come back from that, no doubt that PSG will score and probably win the tie in Paris but Real wil also score at least one goal.

Liverpool are the dark horses in this years CL campaign. Their attacking trio is the best attack in Europe. Yeah, they can all sudden give away 2 or 3 goals and their midfield is besides hard working nothing special, but on their night they can rip any teams defence to pieces.

That being said, This years CL is Bayern's. It's written in the stars. Struggling first, lose 3-0 to PSG, fire their coach and become the laughing stock of Europe. Out of nowhere the return of Don Jupp Heynckes is announced and suddenly they transform into a team who look like being on steroids. I'm reading alot of comments saying Barca is the only team who can stop Real. Well, i've got news for ya, Heynckes is flying under the radar. You can talk all you want about Guardiola and all those other ''swag'' managers who are loved by the media but none of those guys is on par with uncle Heyckes. Bayern are playing fast, direct, physical German football again and are getting the results. No tiki taka imitation bullshitt but collective good organized calculated proper football. In less than a month this guy had Alaba and Muller, who both forgot how to play football in the 16 months before, back to being worldclass. Boateng is playing better with each week gone by, he returned Javi Martinez back to the midfield where he belongs and even Coman is starting to look like a world beater.

You guys just wait and see. While all the hype and attention seems to be going to Pep, PSG, Messi's Barca and back to back champions Real it's Bayern who are best placed to win this years CL. Bayern will murder City and Real (especially with what happend last year's QF in the Bernabeu) and I fancy them also over Barcelona. A fit Bayern will beat any team this season in a 2 legged tie. One of his quotes in the press since he took over was ''I know how to win the Champions League.'' Indeed, out of 3 participation he reached the final on all 3 and won the whole thing 2 times. That's a warning. Jupp Heynckes is not here to play.

Bayern are a decent team but your hyperbole is over the top. Deep breaths,my friend.

Barcilliant

Here is my 2 cents.

We as a club have underachieved in the cl. I think this is mainly down to our style of play. The build up is too slow and we can be very one dimensional at times. I mean look at all the great players we've had over the years. We should have won at least 2 more cl. The reason we're not as successful is the lack of balance. Not enough goals scored from set pieces and slow build up play combined with defensive frailty.

Our team is old and slow and can't press. Like Liverpool or City. Valverde has to adjust accordingly.

Barcilliant

Psgs problems start from the top. Instead of buying a pub in a competitive league they went and bought a club in a lesser league.

They have spent too much money for too little return. Yes, Emery sucks but the players are indulged to a ridiculous degree. Even if they had a Pep, Conte or Klopp they would still suck. Flat track bullies with no balls. Real were there for the taking but Psg fucked up as usual.

Birdy

Final score last night was VR. Madrid did not deserve the win. (A huge part of fault on Emery's shoulders. Le Celso? And Di Maria on the bench? Seriously?)
Nightmare starting all over again... Madrid to win a 3rd one? They are still lucky as they have always been under Zidane. Winning CLs while playing not well. It can happen again.
But, i don't see Barca as the only team that can stop them:
Bayern most of all has the more balanced squad, and with a good coach eventually the favorites for me since today's bottling of PSG.
Then, other teams can do it. Tottenham did it in the group stage. I suppose a very crude Man Utd can do it as well.. City less likely, because it will play into the hands of Zidane who loves sitting back in crucial games and playing counters..
No Liverpool or Juventus are able of eliminating Madrid, because of lack of quality in md. Modern football is played in md, and liverpool lacks seriously there notwithstanding their good front trio. Juventus? You saw what happened last year in the CL final with Khedira-Pjanic trying to play against casemiro-modric-kroos-isco. We saw yesterday even dembele and eriksen walking through them

QSG actually do have the talent up front to pull off a comeback... but that's all they have. No way they don't concede defending like this.

Maybe if they fire Emery this week.

Last edited:

Sultan

Nosce te ipsum
Hasn't Di Maria been on fire as of late? How the hell do you explain not playing him???

BTW did I saw Lass warming up when they were down 2-1 or was I seeing stuff?

raedkuwait

every one here is talking like the champion league is the only thing that matters in the world, and like its the
whole season, trashing your enemy and rivals and humiliating them 3-0 at there home, while we are
more than 10 points a head of them in the league means nothing to them :). CL has always been about
luck and who you meet, we all know PSG are a fake team with huge bottlers, other wise we would not
have come back from a 4-0 and beat them 6-1 at home, so all of you just chill, and please done start
acting like how it was before we trashed them 3-0 where all of you kept saying they are the best team
in the world and they are better than us.

every one here is talking like the champion league is the only thing that matters in the world, and like its the
whole season, trashing your enemy and rivals and humiliating them 3-0 at there home, while we are
more than 10 points a head of them in the league means nothing to them :). CL has always been about
luck and who you meet, we all know PSG are a fake team with huge bottlers, other wise we would not
have come back from a 4-0 and beat them 6-1 at home, so all of you just chill, and please done start
acting like how it was before we trashed them 3-0 where all of you kept saying they are the best team
in the world and they are better than us.

CL > CDR. Easily.

We should be doing much better than we have in recent years. Sacrifice the CDR like Madrid do if necessary. Can't keep getting knocked out in the quarters.

Home of Barca Fans