Jorge Cuenca

Messi983

Officially sold to Villarreal for 2,5m and 4m in variables. Barca also have a buy-back option and 20% sell-on fee. Not a bad deal.

https://www.fcbarcelona.es/es/futbo...l-villarreal-para-el-traspaso-de-jorge-cuenca

Good luck Jorge, hope we'll see you play in La Liga soon.

Also, looks like he was a Villarreal fan as a kid.

https://twitter.com/VillarrealCF/status/1308341570907836418

Eigpn53XkAA_sU8

Andresito

Staff member
I'm seeing a lot of praise for him. But then again it could be the usual La Masia hype trolls on Twitter.

He looked like a bum whenever I watched him at Barca B so an improvement isn't unrealistic. Question is if it's enough for us to touch that buy back clause.

Messi983

I think Villarreal will give him a chance next season and then we'll have a better opinion if he can possibly make a jump back to Barca. And after seeing how fast and well Pedri has fit into the team I won't doubt there are possibly other players doing well in a good Segunda team who could at least play some role in our current rebuilding team. Especially if it's someone who has already played for Barca B and knows our system.

That said, I don't think he could be worse than current version of Umtiti. Can't see him becoming anything more than a 3rd/4th CB though and we already have likes of Mingueza and incoming Garcia for that role so not sure we need another player with around similar quality/potential. Araujo has the best chance to establish himself as a longterm starter as long as he can stay healthy but I still think we'll have to get another starting quality CB over the next 2 years.

What could play in Cuenca's favour is he's left footed so if/when Umtiti and Lenglet will leave and if Koeman/next coach will want to have at least one leftie in the team we could bring him back if he'll develop well enough.

FC433

^
+1 we have got too many young CBs (Araujo, Mingueza, Todibo, CL kind of, Mingo, Marmol starting to like him a lot, and Garcia).
do we have a buyback option?

This is what I would like to see next season: Araujo, Garcia, Pique, and CL. Mingueza as a versatile player to cover any defensive position. Bring in a new CB only if we manage to sell CL or Pique decides to leave.

At LB, I would keep Miranda at Betis for now, and try to replace Firpo with Gaya.
At RB, Dest and Emerson should be enough.

Porque

I think that the main issue with Cuenca is the mental side. As talented as he has looked in games, coming back here will probably eat him up. A bit like how Denis Suarez could look good elsewhere but struggled here and same with Deloufeu. You may say those two lacked the footballing ability, which is true but compared to someone like Mingueza you can see how important the mental side is.

May be a long shot, but I am high on Mingo and prefer to invest our efforts in him so lets see how he returns from injury and hopefully earns a first team (B) spot back. He was Koeman's initial choice before converting to Mingueza. Mostly in my opinion because having a right sided CB and a player who also could cover RB was a bigger priority.

FC433

^
I was never impressed with him, honestly. Seems to have a similar profile to Pique, Stones, P. Torres. Smart, but not strong, and a bit too soft. Needs to be exceptionally smart to make it. Should follow him regardless though!

JamDav1982

Need to get these players out the B team and away on loan much sooner to show what they can do outwith the safe space of La Masia.

For too long Barca have believed La Masia created Xavi and Iniesta as pure Barca examples of ability, patience and choir boy attitudes. In reality they were two geniuses who found their way into the system.

Need more players to go out and see how they get on in real world with more individual responsobility and varied tactical approaches... Unless they can step into first team squad which for vast majority is not the case.

Too many hyped up humble, system players that look lost when comes to reality of top level football in recent years.

Think this change may have already occured and why players with more physical traits in Fati/Ilaix etc are getting pushed through earlier whereas sure in past it would be Jandro type players being given chances.

khaled_a_d

^
I was never impressed with him, honestly. Seems to have a similar profile to Pique, Stones, P. Torres. Smart, but not strong, and a bit too soft. Needs to be exceptionally smart to make it. Should follow him regardless though!

Mingo? Or Cuenca?

khaled_a_d

Need to get these players out the B team and away on loan much sooner to show what they can do outwith the safe space of La Masia.

For too long Barca have believed La Masia created Xavi and Iniesta as pure Barca examples of ability, patience and choir boy attitudes. In reality they were two geniuses who found their way into the system.

I think the problem wasn't "too long believe" but rather being reactionary when a new plan we do fails.
I think around 2014& 2015 we had that loan strategy, with players like Halilovic, Denis, Deulofeue going on loan after short stint with Barca B in Segunda, Samper would have been there too if it wasn't there for relegation.
My guess is that after the "failure" of this strategy, we have dismissed it rather than trying to improve how we do it.

Messi983

Returning on loan to Getafe it seems. Was expecting Villarreal will keep him given Raul Albiol will turn 37 in two weeks although tbh he's still playing on a high level. It's possible they'll also use Foyth more as a CB this season and Mandi is also still there alongside Pau Torres obviously.

Home of Barca Fans