Barca pre-season 2017/2018

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
First half impressions:

- The pressing is back! Hope we keep it up
- Neymar was superb
- Messi dropped too deep, he was our only AM (Iniesta was offensively invisible but defensively sound), his touches and passes are still out of form a bit but man he was defending and chasing the ball all the way back to our byline
- The pace is still too slow, don't know if it is just pre-season or this is how Valverde approaches the game
- We had little ideas offensively when we had possession, off-the-ball is still bad, we are relying too much on counter attack
- Defense is still shaky, but everyone got back to help out with the defense that was nice to see

Other than Neymar and Messi, I liked how Digne and Samper had done, not bad!

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Great 1st half and slow 2nd.

What did we learn? Neymar didn't reveal anything. Valverde played 4-3-3. Semedo couldn't show much as the game died out for us and he had Turan in front of him.

Hard to take anything serious as Italians are notorious for taking it easier in friendlies.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Don't know what to make out of the 2nd half. Earlier in the 2nd half we couldn't even penetrate their midfield and our midfielders had almost no touches of the ball, we simply passed the ball back and forth between our defenders. Late we stretched them more open but mostly on counters again. Denis showed moments of brilliance dribbling but his finishing and passing let him down a bit.

Marlon looked a bit nervous to me. Semedo did OK defensively I felt but offensively he didn't show anything, only remember seeing him going forward once or twice, but again it was his first game with the team.

Hope Suarez is OK.

Last edited:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Alena was a new man there and Roberto is not the one to create much. You can count Arda out and that leaves you Denis who did look lively but was let down as you said.

Pressing dropped in 2nd half and for that there is no excuse.

GetIn

I didn't get to watch the match so can someone tell me how we were tactically? Did Messi stick to the wing? Did our midfield create rather than pass to MSN ASAP?

Neeraj

How isn't there more here on Ortola?! His passing was RIDICULOUS! Haha, I don't think he misplaced even ONE pass? Even his long kicks went straight to Barca players! For all the Ter Stegen fanatics, this one half of passing was better than anything I've seen ever from MATS :lol:

Other than that, the drop in quality in the second half pretty much exemplifies what we've known all along that our squad is very poor. Still too early to judge, but I didn't see anything different with respect to shape and ideas in possession. Even in the first half, if was more Neymar and Messi's individual brilliance that got us the goals; didn't see much by way of a dynamic midfield presence. However it's early days, will wait to see more before judging the coach.

Home of Barca Fans