African Football

khaled_a_d

So can't find a thread for discussing African football. so here is one.
CAF actually made some new changes ACN will be played with 24 teams, but its timing will be in summer to the please of European clubs and displease of players who will have to deal with the heat.
CL will be now played as same season in Europe instead of calendar year, didn't announce when they will apply that rule

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

Rumors that there were discussion about making tournament every four years but has been quickly dismissed (rightfully) but the crazy rumors is that they are seriously thinking about inviting teams from other contents

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Rumors that there were discussion about making tournament every four years but has been quickly dismissed (rightfully) but the crazy rumors is that they are seriously thinking about inviting teams from other contents

Like Copa America then. Don't get this concept. Imagine if Japan or something wins it :lol:

Sounds wrong.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Ah.. The days we cursed the ACN when we had Sammy here. :lol:

Playing during summers is good and bad, depends who you ask. Surely not good for Africans though. Don't know why they kept the every other year format though. Even Copa America moved to every 4 years.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona

Playing during summers is good and bad, depends who you ask. Surely not good for Africans though. Don't know why they kept the every other year format though. Even Copa America moved to every 4 years.

Copa America is a bit of a mess

Next is in 2019 and next one after that seem to be in 2020 :lol:

khaled_a_d

ACN played a huge role in developing the African teams and football in the content and still play such huge role. One of every 2 competition is usually played in a country that has no infrastructure for the tournament and CAF helps them to develop their stadiums through the tournaments and this usually has great effect in the long run for many hosts.
It is essential for the content to be played every two years. And I doubt it will ever became every 4 years as it doesn't profit anyone

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
If they invest in infrastructure (roads, rail, etc.) then that's positive. If it's investing in stadiums only.. Well, we have our own fiasco here in Croatia where we overspent for Handball arenas that are running losses now. I very much think in Africa corruption plays a major role too so they also overspend on those stadium projects that generate no real value.

khaled_a_d

tbh I can't answer that part because Egypt even with its recent struggles is still one of the top African countries in ability to host such event (though safety now rules us out a bit)
But overall many countries has really benefited from it football wise.
And let's be honest, it is a situation were every one wins which make countries in favor it, meaning voters will vote for decision makers who won't change it. This is same situation like increase in participants in Euro, WC etc.

Total-Football

So can't find a thread for discussing African football. so here is one.
CAF actually made some new changes ACN will be played with 24 teams, but its timing will be in summer to the please of European clubs and displease of players who will have to deal with the heat.
CL will be now played as same season in Europe instead of calendar year, didn't announce when they will apply that rule

the bold part seems positive to me.
However, Them corrupt fuckers will never make the AFN a 4 years span competition. When they decided to move the competition to odd numbered years they chose to organize the competition twice in two years inseatd of waiting 3 years. It's so pathetic that it's laughable. I don't Watch that shit and i never will until they make serious reforms.

On the other hand, the champions league is nice with many competitive teams despite the modest Financial capacities.

khaled_a_d

Neither, gave up on local football a decade and half. watch games here and there. Used to be Ahly fan when I was a child.
But those two represent everything that is bad in Egypt for me.

JerseyAddict

Apparently, FIFA will repeat WC qualifying match between South Africa and Senegal because referee made a mistake while giving an un-excitable 11m for South Africa (won 2:1, played Nov 12th, 2016.).

This is really strange. Could they repeat a shit load of games like that? Just an example for EURO Qualifiers in Croatian group. Turkey lost from Ukraine with 2 offside goals and Croatia lost from Turkey while denied clear penalty in the first 10m. Imagine just these two games being repeated.. .what a mess.

khaled_a_d

Apparently, FIFA will repeat WC qualifying match between South Africa and Senegal because referee made a mistake while giving an un-excitable 11m for South Africa (won 2:1, played Nov 12th, 2016.).

This is really strange. Could they repeat a shit load of games like that? Just an example for EURO Qualifiers in Croatian group. Turkey lost from Ukraine with 2 offside goals and Croatia lost from Turkey while denied clear penalty in the first 10m. Imagine just these two games being repeated.. .what a mess.

Apparently he manipulated the result deliberately, either bribe or bets. probably the later as SA wasn't punished

Total-Football

ivory coast are fucking horrible; had we scored the penalty vs mali the last game we could have made it to the world cup already by tomorrow. All the big guns in africa played horrendously and they are all out already.

Home of Barca Fans