Break the bank or keep the money?

Break the bank or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
It's been suggested that the club were willing to, and still would break the bank for Verratti, meaning there are resources available for a big midfield signing.

But since Verratti is definitely not leaving PSG this summer at any price, and has gone to their pre-season tour looking happy(smile or else... :nasser:)

Would you use those funds to make a huge bid and try to sway another established midfielder like Christian Eriksen or Philippe Coutinho, or would you rather not use any of the seemingly available resources on a midfielder not named Marco Verratti?

Neymessi

I would go for coutinhio definitely. We severely lack quality in the midfield and coutinhio would definitely be an upgrade. Wouldn't offer more than 80mil for coutinhio though

And the talk that coutinhio is not a fit is exagerratted. He will adapt to our needs and surely give us immense quality.

A really strong front line of MSN is useless if the gap in quality between mid and forward is that much.

Neeraj

I don't see how Coutinho is within reach. Liverpool and other English clubs are flush with funds, and they all believe they are going to compete for the title with their big name managers on board. There'd be a massive revolt by the fans if they let him go. And it's not like he's been pining to get out. Same with Eriksen.

With the confidence that I have in this board's ability to find a cheap but good young player, I'd definitely say keep the funds in the bank. I'm fairly confident Verratti is going to be available next season; I cannot see PSG doing anything substantial this year and there's no way this circus is going to happen again next season. Even if we don't manage to get him, we can go all out for someone else; there's always a breakthrough player in every position every year in football.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I'd keep the money. While I definitely don't subscribe to "Verratti or nothing", I don't think it makes sense to get another midfielder when there isn't an ideal choice out there. Coutinho would not help us that much with our midfield problem, in my opinion. We shouldn't get a player just to get a player. Of course, if we can find a good alternative, we should go after him this window.

If Verratti is somehow available next summer (I doubt it though), we can still go after him if we have a bit of money left from this year.

hulinat

already enough dead weight in the squad to sign another unnecessary player with high wages. Focus on la masia and developing youth instead for once

khaled_a_d

For me there is a lot of variables that decides the answer:
1-4231 or 433?
If it is the 1st then Messi is a midfielder, we also have Busquets. then we have Rakitic. We don't need Coutnho or Erikssen
2-Who we are gonna sell? We have too many midfielders, we need to make cuts.
3-What is Valverde thinking about some of the players we have?
I mean if we are going for 433,how is rating Gomes/Roberto/Denis? if 4231 how is he rating Gerard and Vidal?

There is a lot of question marks out there tbh. I would only break the bank for a sure starter that fits Valverde plans,otherwise I think our squad right now need more cuts than addition.
And Liverpool didn't make many signings while Spurs just made a world breaking sale for Walker. Neither would sell atm

serghei

1. Verratti is not a question about money.

2. With so many teams trying to become better, it's near impossible to sing a star player from one of them. Top teams need great players more than they need money.

3. The solution is to draw the best talents from the smaller teams who will not hesitate to sell (the Semedo signing is the best type of signing we can make).

4. We need to care more about La Masia and the B team. With talent becoming increasingly hard to acquire, we need to take better care of our academy. That's the key imo.

5. The team is good enough as it is to win every trophy. So, if we don't sign anyone this summer, it's not a reason to feel deflated. Keep going, work hard, be confident and focused every game, and the results will come.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

2. With so many teams trying to become better, it's near impossible to sing a star player from one of them. Top teams need great players more than they need money.

3. The solution is to draw the best talents from the smaller teams who will not hesitate to sell (the Semedo signing is the best type of signing we can make).

4. We need to care more about La Masia and the B team. With talent becoming increasingly hard to acquire, we need to take better care of our academy. That's the key imo.

We will have to sign players from big clubs sooner or later tbh, this is still a key for remaining one of the top 3 teams. RM got Cr7 from Many and Kroos from Bayern. Many clubs would still sell if the players force his way out. we are top 2 clubs atm and we will need to use that. Sometimes you need to act like you are the biggest club to be one. Not saying this should be our focus,but it shouldn't be dismissed. I think in a year or two we will probably be in the hunt for Dybal to replace Suarez

Regarding the academy, I think it has been improving at least with new signing look promising. we are still a bit lost in preparing players for 1st team but hopefully it will be fixed

serghei

We will have to sign players from big clubs sooner or later tbh, this is still a key for remaining one of the top 3 teams. RM got Cr7 from Many and Kroos from Bayern. Many clubs would still sell if the players force his way out. we are top 2 clubs atm and we will need to use that. Sometimes you need to act like you are the biggest club to be one. Not saying this should be our focus,but it shouldn't be dismissed. I think in a year or two we will probably be in the hunt for Dybal to replace Suarez

Regarding the academy, I think it has been improving at least with new signing look promising. we are still a bit lost in preparing players for 1st team but hopefully it will be fixed

I believe the game has changed tremendously in the last 5 years or so. Ronaldo looks to be part of this era, but actually, it's from a past era in football. What we're seeing now, this level of money being invested in football, it will sooner or later lead to a clear conclusion. It's a bit like the economic crysis. Price are going up and up, with a rate that will not be matched by the rate with which normally ran clubs (not oil funded or owned by multi-billionairs) can up their income. This will lead to less star players being moved around between top clubs, and more attention being focused on signing the talents early. Talent stays roughly the same. There are too many big clubs fighting for the same players mostly.

Yes, Madrid managed to land Kroos, but it was a mix of extremely rare and favorable circumstances. Bayern already took note of this and probably now consider not giving Kroos the right money a big mistake. Bayern themselves seem to pay a lot more money for players that they did in the past IIRC. They also sense that these days, you need to pay up, or you run the risk of not signing the players you need.

In this fight for talent, the clubs with great football academies are in a privileged spot, as long as they know how to take good care of their constant source of talent. La Masia won't provide us with Messi and Xavis too soon. But the talent will be there in a lot of players. That much I'm sure of. We will have to give more time to young players in the future imo. A lot of times, the amount of risk that exists in signing a relatively uproven 23 years old from another team is around as high as promoting a Barca B player who you feel can make it. The key in all of this is getting the right manager who knows and feels the right time when you can give a young player a chance. Lucho had awful timing for example. He didn't seem to know which were the games in which he could have afforded himself some luxuries, like trying a young player here or there, and which were the games which should have been approached with a stronger first 11.

Home games against average La Liga teams are golden chances to give players like Palencia and Alena a chance. Just start with a strong team, and include one or two young players on some positions. And see how they react in a comfortable field (Camp Nou), with great teammates around them. They are less likey to be overwhelmed, because the Camp Nou crowd will give them support, and the other players, will surely make their job easier. Put them with teammates who played less (Lucho had this bad habit of breaking the team into two sides), in some away games on a poor pitch with aggresive opponents trying to act like tough men in front of their home fans, and it's a no-go. Developing young players is often a skill in itself. The bad news for us, more than anything else that is happening on the market, is that Zidane seems to have this skill. This is the worst news for us. But I really hope that Valverde has this as well, so we can really see him developing our several young players, like Madrid's manager is doing with Real's squad.

A lot of users here would go to extremes trying to convince anyone that our young players are shit. Which is far from the truth.

Last edited:

Neymessi

I don't see how Coutinho is within reach. Liverpool and other English clubs are flush with funds, and they all believe they are going to compete for the title with their big name managers on board. There'd be a massive revolt by the fans if they let him go. And it's not like he's been pining to get out. Same with Eriksen.

With the confidence that I have in this board's ability to find a cheap but good young player, I'd definitely say keep the funds in the bank. I'm fairly confident Verratti is going to be available next season; I cannot see PSG doing anything substantial this year and there's no way this circus is going to happen again next season. Even if we don't manage to get him, we can go all out for someone else; there's always a breakthrough player in every position every year in football.

Coutinhio is definitely one of the next generation top midfielders and if I was him I would not waste my peak years at liverpool who haven't seen a shadow of silverware for what,10 years? If we contact him and he decides to join us and asks liverpool to sell him, we can definitely get him.

khaled_a_d

I believe the game has changed tremendously in the last 5 years or so. Ronaldo looks to be part of this era, but actually, it's from a past era in football. What we're seeing now, this level of money being invested in football, it will sooner or later lead to a clear conclusion. It's a bit like the economic crysis. Price are going up and up, with a rate that will not be matched by the rate with which normally ran clubs (not oil funded or owned by multi-billionairs) can up their income. This will lead to less star players being moved around between top clubs, and more attention being focused on signing the talents early. Talent stays roughly the same. There are too many big clubs fighting for the same players mostly.

It isn't this or that,big deals between big clubs always happened and will continue to happen and it depends on us to be in which position of the deals.
Juve has just sold Pogba last year and Bonnuci this year,the later to their rival. English clubs do deals between each other too,we have signed Suarez recently.
It isn't youth vs big signing. It is about the right balance,mix and timing. following one strategy only won't work. You can't just rely on La Masia, you can't just rely on signing players from smaller clubs nor you can sign only from big teams. This has been the case most of the times.
And it isn't like smaller clubs sell for cheap now, Semedo has only one season under his belt and we might end up paying 45M for him,making him 2nd to Walker only for most expensive FB. the list of expensive players from smaller clubs are growing as time goes too,and then you have players who don't want to move directly to big club like Dembele. Add that to the fact that we don't even have control in keeping our prospects thanks to Spanish rules.
Again, it can't be one type of strategy, if we keep that we will end up finding our stars handing requests to join other big clubs.

Centauri B

Find and buy a top-notch midfielder at all and any cost. We are wasting the best front-three in the history of the game with our weak midfield.

Home of Barca Fans