Premier League 2017/18

Who will win the league?

• Total voters

FC433

A well-deserved win for Liverpool. They did really want to win and they got what they want. I also believe that it is a healthy loss for City.

Stones? I am not sure, I have always thought he was a very talented CB, but I do not know he still has the same issues.

I do not think there is anything that any manager can do in such pressure, especially a possession type team. Chelsea or Juve might do better, but Barcelona and City, unfortunately, cannot really do anything under massive pressure.

What would you guys do in this case? Personally, I think long balls is the way to go.

El Gato

Villarato!
i also don't think its as universal (that is, widely applicable) as you write. it cannot be instituted just 'anywhere'. it requires highly technically proficient players who are also willing to adapt, and a club with the money to sign such players. he could never, say, manage west-ham and succeed with it there.

Well yeah, but given the right, savvy and trophy hungry dudes he can apply it in any league. Mou teaches transition and instills the feeling of consequence of your lack of effort and mistakes, which is contrary to Pep's dogma. That's where I was going here.

BarcaOG said:
what limits it, as i said, is that it can't work just anywhere. it is precisely that style that allowed spain to dominate international football 2008-2014, barca spain and to a lesser and less consistent extent europe (since you are right to say it is less successful in limited-game club cup competitions), bayern germany (i.e. wrapped up the league in record time but i will concede this isnt a particularly significant example since bayern are virtually guaranteed the league anyway) and now city the PL this year (record point differential etc).

It's not surprising it failed in a team where some players would not concede their habits to implement a style, which only really gives them league consistency. It's something they've had already and weren't looking for that. Bayern officials hired him with the aim to make the European domination a yearly occurrence. Which is a bit silly considering Pep didn't get famous by winning cup competitions.

BarcaOG said:
finally, as an added bonus, pep's style is also WAY more enjoyable to watch and more entertaining, which definitely counts for something-especially since it has roughly corresponded with titles as well.

I agree, but not fully. It's only enjoyable when opposing teams don't have enough to face it. The effect becomes less and less staggering when Pep team struggles to overwhelm others. Today City wasn't especially good to watch for example, Sane's goal was an individual effort, can't even remember the other two but I don't recall some crafty moves. It was always a major criticism that his teams had all the ball, but nothing to show for it sometimes.
But largely yes I guess, it's less prone to point loss and buses break down easier under it. I was however a fan of Mourinho's drilled in discipline on the counter and some pace loaded goals Madrid team provided between 2010-2013. A good passer from #10 position is an asset to that philosophy, same with Benzema who thrived in that setup and had his best years at the time.

Demog

i think it is indicative of city's strength that it ended 4-3 and not 4-1. its not like they bent over and took the defeat, like liverpool did in the 5-0. it means the game could have ended differently on another day and that city will fight to the end. still, sucky for their fans that the undefeated streak is over. but that massive point differential means its basically inconsequential
It's not really a reflection of City's strengths but rather Liverpool's mental weakness when we are leading. We've blown so many leads, including big leads since Klopp has become manager. It's just the nature of the way Liverpool play and lack of leadership in the team. Thankfully Liverpool managed to hold on but we've ended up losing from 3-1 (to Bournemouth) and drawing from 0-3 (to Sevilla) and lots of other near misses. Once we are able to properly kill off a match, we will become serious title challengers.

serghei

21' 4-0. What the hell is happening with this club?

Nothing, as usual they are starting to play great once they blew their chance for any top 4 challenge. Usual Arsenal. Crumble under pressure than flatter to deceive once the pressure is off.

Nobody expects anything important from them this season in PL. 6th spot is where they'll be at.

Last edited:
Nothing, as usual they are starting to play great once they blew their chance for any top 4 challenge. Usual Arsenal. Crumble under pressure than flatter to deceive once the pressure is off.

Nobody expects anything important from them this season in PL. 6th spot is where they'll be at.

They are a great team though. 6th, yes, but behind 5 magnificent teams.

xXKonan

[tw]955149451324264448[/tw]

Watford Sacked Marco Silva today and hired Javi Garcia in the same day. Garcia's Malaga were a pain in the ass to play against when he was there.

khaled_a_d

Watford Sacked Marco Silva today and hired Javi Garcia in the same day. Garcia's Malaga were a pain in the ass to play against when he was there.

Javi Gracia, Javi Garcia was playing today against us IIRC
Grazia is very defensive coach and was amazing with Malaga but failed in Russia. to me this is a weird risk

Home of Barca Fans