Premier League 2017/18

Who will win the league?

• Total voters

Centauri B

Of course he would be good there.

But that argument of players going to EPL and doing well doesnt mean much other than outside top three in Spain the teams are losing their best players.

I am saying that Messi would be at least as good there as he is here.

The PL fans like to repeat time and again that their favorite league is in some orders of magnitude tougher than anything else in Europe. This claim is easily annihilated by what I have just pointed out.

The issue of financial disparity between Spanish bottom 17 and their English counterparts is a totally different matter altogether. On this I would say that the smaller Spanish teams have done impressively in replacing the players they have been losing to the ultra-rich EPL clubs.

Another thing, many of the ex-Liga players who are doing great in the EPL, are mostly ex-Barca/Real players who were surplus to their requirements (Morata, Alexis, Yaya, Fabregas, Pedro)

JamDav1982

The PL fans like to repeat time and again that their favorite league is in some orders of magnitude tougher than anything else in Europe. This claim is easily annihilated by what I have just pointed out.

The issue of financial disparity between Spanish bottom 17 and their English counterparts is a totally different matter altogether. On this I would say that the smaller Spanish teams have done impressively in replacing the players they have been losing to the ultra-rich EPL clubs.

Another thing, many of the ex-Liga players who are doing great in the EPL, are mostly ex-Barca/Real players who were surplus to their requirements (Morata, Alexis, Yaya, Fabregas, Pedro)

I would say the EPL is stronger than La Liga outside of top three but Messi would thrive in any team obviously.

Cant really compare those players going to another league and being more central to their teams than were at Barca or Real.

Ken_rosseneri

Man city playing great football nowadays.. reminds me of when Pep coached Barca.. really good.. possession freaks... they've been dominating teams left right and center... still too early but I pick them to win premier league this year

KingLeo10

Man city playing great football nowadays.. reminds me of when Pep coached Barca.. really good.. possession freaks... they've been dominating teams left right and center... still too early but I pick them to win premier league this year

true but pep's barca did it against madrid, united, bayern, arsenal etc. city flatter to deceive in the CL.

Jenks

Why contend the point that Messi wouldn't be as good in England in a thread where nobody is making it?

Centauri B

I would say the EPL is stronger than La Liga outside of top three but Messi would thrive in any team obviously.

Cant really compare those players going to another league and being more central to their teams than were at Barca or Real.

If it is, it's not by any sizable margin. City tearing teams apart is a testament to that.

As for ex-Liga players doing well in the EPL, it's not just former and peripheral Barca/Real players that are doing so. It's across the spectrum.

OMG what happened to the PL, I thought it was the most competitive, therefore best league in the world! What's happening is that the teams at the top are getting better, resulting in more lopsided scorelines, doesn't mean the rest of the teams are getting worse, or the league is in decline.

aaron101

I just realized that both United's fullacks are their former wingers (Young and Valencia).

I was watching the highlights and was confused when the commentator mentioned David Silva and the camera was on a bald guy. Turned out that it's really him lol almost unrecognizable.
Silva.jpg

Last edited:

Centauri B

OMG what happened to the PL, I thought it was the most competitive, therefore best league in the world! What's happening is that the teams at the top are getting better, resulting in more lopsided scorelines, doesn't mean the rest of the teams are getting worse, or the league is in decline.

This is what we were trying to explain to BPL aficianados for years on end. Now, they may realize the reality behind our words. If a team is filled with world-class talent, then a 5-0 scoreline against the league's also-runs will occur from time to time.

JamDav1982

If it is, it's not by any sizable margin. City tearing teams apart is a testament to that.

As for ex-Liga players doing well in the EPL, it's not just former and peripheral Barca/Real players that are doing so. It's across the spectrum.

Plenty have gone there and done poorly as well while players from EPL like Ronaldo, Modric, Suarez etc have gone to La Liga and dominated.

Its like the argument that French league is good as players leave and do well... no it just means a large proportion of the best players are leaving.

Home of Barca Fans