Would you be happy with status quo?

Would YOU be okay with keeping the same squad?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
If the club fail to land any of their top targets which seem to be Marco Verratti and Hector Bellerin + Possibly Ousmane Dembele, and lose out Dani Ceballos to Real Madrid, and have no other alternatives in place or don't rate the other options on the market or players available, would you be happy with a status quo, essentially keeping the same squad as last season?

It means continuing with Sergi Roberto or Aleix Vidal as RB. Iniesta/Roberto - Busquets - Rakitic as the midfield and MSN up top.

Alternatively, Roberto/Rakitic - Busquets in MF, Messi as CAM and Neymar, Suarez and Aleix Vidal/Deulofeu in attack.

I guess it's still very early, but those three top targets seem unlikely to happen with every day as PSG don't sell players they rate as with Thiago Silva and Marquinhos previously, Arsenal and Wenger are in pressure after dropping out of CL places and could risk a backlash if they sell fan favourites like Bellerin and Dortmund who insist on Dembele staying and have proven to be stubborn when they made Lewandowski stay out his contract duration and handed Aubameyang an ultimatum to find an offer that satisfies their demands.

Or would you rather they test the market when it comes to a RB signing and go for a different profile of midfielder?

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I would be happy if we played Palencia as RB and Vidal as RW. Roberto partnering Busquets in 2 man midfield guarding Messi who assumes full central role.
That being said, there would need to be a plan behind it. Go back to La Masia roots and save the cash for the stadium.

Just please no more half assed signings like Turan, Gomes or Paco.

DonAK

That's the main concern. That they'll waste more money if they cannot get their priority signings. Which in that case there's an argument made for keeping the same squad, perhaps tweaking it a bit by getting rid of Arda to free up wages for 2018 and promoting Palencia and Marlon.

However, in that case Robert's position have to be untenable. You don't get months to plan the next season and end up with nothing because you lack any proper alternative or planning.

JamDav1982

I want Messi back on the RW a new RB and more technical ability in a more fluid midfield.

Dont want to see Busi, Iniesta and Raki midfield three or Messi at AM unless proper RW player bought. Even then not sure Messi will play AM as any more than a second striker which dont think will work.

JamDav1982

How do you imagine Messi would play RW? It's not 2009.

Like he did in 2015 and for a lot of the next season. Starting wide right more and still freedom to come more central at times.

Dont like him centrally unless he changes the way he plays it. In particular v the bigger teams it is a bit too predictable if they sit deep and defend well.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Okay then. We just need to get another donkey then (as Messi won't cover that right side) and continue with broken midfield. Sounds like a plan.

JamDav1982

Okay then. We just need to get another donkey then (as Messi won't cover that right side) and continue with broken midfield. Sounds like a plan.

Dont agree with that at all.

Would rather approach it with midfield that keeps ball better.

Vidal RW? That sounds like a plan..

Vidal RW and Palencia RB would be awful and completely broken.

khaled_a_d

That's the main concern. That they'll waste more money if they cannot get their priority signings. Which in that case there's an argument made for keeping the same squad, perhaps tweaking it a bit by getting rid of Arda to free up wages for 2018 and promoting Palencia and Marlon.

However, in that case Robert's position have to be untenable. You don't get months to plan the next season and end up with nothing because you lack any proper alternative or planning.

With Segura promotion Robert situation is very unclear now and it is annoying.
I liked Barto for the fact that he seem to let the sporting decisions for those with football knowledge, but now he seem to be a guy who take quick decisions.
Zubi was in charge of our summer in 2014,a 4 people team in 2015,Roberto in 2016 and now seem Segura is his boss in 2017.

Anyway back to topic
The easy answer for the question is no,since everyone wants his team to improve in the market,I don't remember any fan before said that he doesn't want signings and he is happy with that. May be accept or content would be better word?
I would say I am neutral at it,right now I think we actually have the 2nd best team in Europe,with good coaching we can take over RM secially in Liga.
Time has proven that wrong signings are worse than no signing. Vermaelen,Song,Arda and the list goes on. Though a decent or no bad signing is better than nothing,Like Digne and Mathieu
Also seem to be that younger players is safer bet. It seem that even Gomes could be sold and get most of his money back,same can't be said about Arda.

So I won't hate it, but I would prefer making additions.

Icarium

Lifestealer
No obviously not. But what can we do? Just have to suffer in silence or in collective and hope for some MSN magic. The current squad is incapable of performing as a team, valverde can try to fix it but without a RB and a midfielder signing it is broke.

hulinat

So far we've only signed Deulofeu so our attack is pretty much set. All we need right now is a quality right back and the pre-season can begin. There is no need to sign another midfielder since we're already stacked there especially with Samper coming back and Sergi moving back to midfield. Rather give some minutes to Alena and focus on our La Masia talents.

DonAK

Well yeah, but I fucked up the other poll thread as I forgot to include the actual poll and had to make a new one quickly.

Home of Barca Fans