Paulinho

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Didn't someone say song was better for barca than this guy?

But what will DonAndres say about his performance today?

Lack of nuance such as this just makes the discussion here much worse I must say.

Feels like nobody bothered to actually read what I posted in the chat or in the threads. I was pretty clear and specific in what my issue was and I don't think it's been contradicted. I have ONLY ever expressed a problem with having Paulinho start in place of a CM such as taking Rakitic/Iniesta's places in the lineup. I've said he does not have the skillset for that role at all and doesn't play like it on the pitch. I don't think this should be surprising to anyone tbh.

EV himself acted in a way that's in line with that thinking. He didn't start Paulinho over Rakitic or Iniesta for the Clasico. If it's a matter of Paulinho vs Deulofeu/Vidal/Denis then the situation is different entirely. That's sacrificing a winger for Paulinho's off ball support defensively and attacking in/around the box. With the current landscape of this squad and considering Deulo really isn't an effective player (especially against a team like RM) sacrificing the width of a mediocre winger is a very worthy risk to take and it paid off. Seeing how establishing control of the midfield and elevating our circulation of the ball is what eventually swung the Clasico in our favor during the 2nd half, no one now should have doubts about how crucial it is for us to emphasize control and not sacrifice it for extra hustle or attacking.

As problematic as Rakitic can be he is still far and away better at taking midfield responsibilities to circulate the ball and establish control over the game than Paulinho and EV seems to agree here. Under no circumstances should Paulinho take his starting place in big games the way things are but he can definitely play alongside them both. Paulinho continuously shows that he's not fit for that role and even in his commendable Clasico performance he had *9 turnovers*, more than the rest of the team COMBINED. That isn't a big problem seeing as he didn't have the ball circulation responsibilities of the other midfielders but there shouldn't be any confusion as to what he is and what he isn't, and that does limit the kind of role he can safely have on this team.

I actually happen to think that, if we buy Arthur and/or Coutinho, I'd rather keep Paulinho in the squad and sell Rakitic. Coming off the bench Paulinho has a much better ability to change the dynamic of the game and the verticality of the attack and that he's wayyy more useful in that role than Raki. He's easily the best rotation player in our midfield for that reason that he actually does bring useful game-changing qualities.

Hamzah you mentioned Song but seemed to forget that I was again making that point to talk about on-ball qualities in the midfield. I even mentioned at the time that Paulinho is definitely the better overall player but highlighted how much he is lacking in that one area of the game. Paulinho can add way more playing in a 4 man midfield as a hybrid secondary striker but there definitely are roles that Song would execute better just because of his greater competence in one area, playing as Busi's substitute for example.

Last edited:

serghei

Lack of nuance such as this just makes the discussion here much worse I must say.

Feels like nobody bothered to actually read what I posted in the chat or in the threads. I was pretty clear and specific in what my issue was and I don't think it's been contradicted. I have ONLY ever expressed a problem with having Paulinho start in place of a CM such as taking Rakitic/Iniesta's places in the lineup. I've said he does not have the skillset for that role at all and doesn't play like it on the pitch. I don't think this should be surprising to anyone tbh.

EV himself acted in a way that's in line with that thinking. He didn't start Paulinho over Rakitic or Iniesta for the Clasico. If it's a matter of Paulinho vs Deulofeu/Vidal/Denis then the situation is different entirely. That's sacrificing a winger for Paulinho's off ball support defensively and attacking in/around the box. With the current landscape of this squad and considering Deulo really isn't an effective player (especially against a team like RM) sacrificing the width of a mediocre winger is a very worthy risk to take and it paid off. Seeing how establishing control of the midfield and elevating our circulation of the ball is what eventually swung the Clasico in our favor during the 2nd half, no one now should have doubts about how crucial it is for us to emphasize control and not sacrifice it for extra hustle or attacking.

As problematic as Rakitic can be he is still far and away better at taking midfield responsibilities to circulate the ball and establish control over the game than Paulinho and EV seems to agree here. Under no circumstances should Paulinho take his starting place in big games the way things are but he can definitely play alongside them both. Paulinho continuously shows that he's not fit for that role and even in his commendable Clasico performance he had *9 turnovers*, more than the rest of the team COMBINED. That isn't a big problem seeing as he didn't have the ball circulation responsibilities of the other midfielders but there shouldn't be any confusion as to what he is and what he isn't, and that does limit the kind of role he can safely have on this team.

I actually happen to think that, if we buy Arthur and/or Coutinho, I'd rather keep Paulinho in the squad and sell Rakitic. Coming off the bench Paulinho has a much better ability to change the dynamic of the game and the verticality of the attack and that he's wayyy more useful in that role than Raki. He's easily the best rotation player in our midfield for that reason that he actually does bring useful game-changing qualities.

Hamzah you mentioned Song but seemed to forget that I was again making that point to talk about on-ball qualities in the midfield. I even mentioned at the time that Paulinho is definitely the better overall player but highlighted how much he is lacking in that one area of the game. Paulinho can add way more playing in a 4 man midfield as a hybrid secondary striker but there definitely are roles that Song would execute better just because of his greater competence in one area, playing as Busi's substitute for example.

Very good post. I think the same about Paulinho. He's a completely reactive player imo, that knows how to speculate when something happens for him on the pitch, but without him causing that change on his own. Which separates him from a midfielder. When is Paulinho good? When the opponent gives him space, when the ball drops around him in good positions, when there is a poor first touch from an opponent player and he can retrieve the ball. Top speculative player who knows how to take full advantage of any defensive mistake done by the opposition. He is an off the ball player, clearly not a CM or AM type. Great on rebounds, attacking the 2nd ball, attacking space frontally etc. A very useful weapon. We lacked a player like this. But he can never play in a 3 man midfield, like a 4-3-3. He can play in 4-4-2, appearing in the space that Messi creates constantly as a 2nd striker, or even appearing in spaces that are typical for Suarez. Paulinho can attack any space vacated by either Messi or Suarez without actually playing there.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Bit of a back track from arrogantly telling us Paulinho has been shit in games he has actually played well in and that Barca mid would get dominated in the classico if he plays.

Nice to see all the things you have been told he actually does bring being recycled though.

Pretty sure same folk mocked Coutinho as being nowhere near worth his price and being massively over rated as well.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Once again you fail to grasp the point. It wasn't that we'd get dominated in the Clasico if he played, but rather if he had taken Rakitic's spot which I'm still certain of. That didn't happen and Paulinho playing over a winger is entirely reasonable. What would we have lost in midfield by keeping the same 3 starters and adding Paulinho to that?? If you're going to create a straw-man, at least make it a rational one. I don't believe in his ability to start in a true 3 man midfield role in any tough contest, not now and not ever. 9 turnovers in a game as an off ball player should be plenty evidence for that. If you seriously believe Paulinho has Rakitic's competence on the ball or even close to it then you're doing a massive disservice to him.

You also fail to recollect me saying repetitively that Paulinho's spot in the squad is no problem and I'm happy to have him for his uses. That being said he should not be a starting midfielder in our best lineup and he does not solve the problems that we, after so many years, still need to address in our mid.

JamDav1982

You slaughtered him in the Deportivo game when a lot of us were saying he played well and brouight many of the things you outlined.

All you kept focusing on was this idea he was worst in league on the ball and mocking anyone that disagreed.

Paulinho has done well for Barca BECAUSE he is something different which was what you seem to be agreeing on now and argued against st before.

He will be useful starter in some games and not in others all need to do is judge him fairly when he plays which has not been the case with a lot of folk on here imo.

He is reacting to Messi and almost is part of attacking three with Messi and Suarez and presses from the front. He will never try to be too clever on the ball.

The team lately has almost been Messi, Suarez and Paulinho backed up by full backs as the more forward thinking players.

Last edited:

Xaviniesta

He is the only midfielder that plays in midfield ( Bob...) who has an eye for scoring and not just trying to find Messi.

Rakitic-goal.jpg

Horatio

You're welcome
Usually never get jersey's with a players name on it, might make an exception for Paulinho. Expect it to become a collector's item.

Home of Barca Fans