Paulinho

draconifire

We need him against Chelsea. If they park the bus, he's along with Suarez the only player to break the lines and structure of the opposition.
We need him badly.

Windhook

The injury is not serious, but media suggests it's unlikely for him to be on the flight to Sevilla for the match against Real Betis.

BusiTheKing

If his exact goals this season had been scored by Ronaldo, everybody on here would be talking about tap-ins and insignificance. Take away Paulinho's goals and assists and we would have two points less in the league. That number is the same for Denis, for example.

JamDav1982

If his exact goals this season had been scored by Ronaldo, everybody on here would be talking about tap-ins and insignificance. Take away Paulinho's goals and assists and we would have two points less in the league. That number is the same for Denis, for example.

Doesnt work like that at all in terms of points to goals/assists.

RMU ReBorn

Difference is we are not rating him as the best ever for the tap ins. Scoring Tapins are fine ,but to rate such a one dimensional player as world's best is delusion .

BusiTheKing

No? Why would he be rated the best ever for 8 goals in any case? The principle by which both players are being overrated by their goals is the same. I don't see how the difference in scale negates my point.

JamDav1982

No? Why would he be rated the best ever for 8 goals in any case? The principle by which both players are being overrated by their goals is the same. I don't see how the difference in scale negates my point.

Your point is wrong if trying to claim his goals/assists have only contributed to two points.

Paulinho isnt being over rated he has been good for Barca.

M

MessiCam

I think people underestimate his importance for us. Sure he is not technically gifted or astute in terms of positional play (he's no Seydou Keita) but he offers something that no other player does at the moment... His presence creates a ridiculous amount of space for Messi when he drops deep and basically allows Messi to pick his moment and spots when making those second wave runs. Suarez has also been a benefactor here.

That he scores goals too is just icing on the cake.

He shouldn't start so often though.

BusiTheKing

Your point is wrong if trying to claim his goals/assists have only contributed to two points.

Paulinho isnt being over rated he has been good for Barca.

I was replying to the other guy. And yes, but that's not what I said - i just took the raw number to illustrate a point. And yes, he's been good in some games. He's also been absolutely useless in others. Because quite like Ronaldo, if he doesn't get the right pass, time his run and find his moment, then he might as well not be playing.

M

MessiCam

I was replying to the other guy. And yes, but that's not what I said - i just took the raw number to illustrate a point. And yes, he's been good in some games. He's also been absolutely useless in others. Because quite like Ronaldo, if he doesn't get the right pass, time his run and find his moment, then he might as well not be playing.

But that's secondary in his role. His primary role is being Messi's fascilitator.

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead

He is always doing a lot of dirty work, one moment he is pressing together with Suarez upfront, the next moment he is helping RB to defend.

BusiTheKing

But that's secondary in his role. His primary role is being Messi's fascilitator.
I get that he plays a factor there, but that role being so vague, it's very open to interpretation as to what it actually requires. My evaluation is that the role could be filled just as well by a player who also had the dexterity to engage somewhat constructively in the link-up play with Messi.

Don't know how many times Paulinho has "facilitated" a situation in which Messi could do something only to subsequently fuck the whole thing up because he recevied the ball in a tight space.

M

MessiCam

I get that he plays a factor there, but that role being so vague, it's very open to interpretation as to what it actually requires. My evaluation is that the role could be filled just as well by a player who also had the dexterity to engage somewhat constructively in the link-up play with Messi.

Don't know how many times Paulinho has "facilitated" a situation in which Messi could do something only to subsequently fuck the whole thing up because he recevied the ball in a tight space.

I get what you're saying but just watch him when Messi tries to find space... He somehow always draws defenders away from Messi which allows Messi to have a run at the defense. It's not coincidence that Messi's dribbling/take on figures are through the roof this season.

Many don't agree with me but with Messi's current influence I'd like a return to 4-3-3 False 9 with Paulinho/Roberto as the box to box, Coutinho/Iniesta as your creative outlet in midfield depending on the opposition. Of course I also understand that it's difficult to make that decision now with the way Rakitic is performing as part of a double pivot.

Home of Barca Fans