Paulinho

God Serena

The fact that you actually ask that shows that you are just another hater, who is enjoying the times the player he hates is having a bad form.

Answer the question. What type of player is he? Just took a look at Opta and his stats are even worse than I imagined. For all the talk about his goals, his 0.3 goals per game don't seem to indicate he's very reliable on the goalscoring front. And for all the talk of how he helps us defensively, he averages .1 tackles, .4 interceptions, and 3 recovered balls... per 90 minutes. Yeah, he literally averages 1 tackle every ten games. :lol:

Offensively he offers .7 shots on target per game (Not even 1 shot per game) and he averages 33.5 passes per game.

These numbers are abysmal. I enjoy pointing out how awful he has been as a way for me to vent, but if he wasn't so bad in the first place I wouldn't need to do this at all.

So please, tell me, what type of player is he, and how am I just a "hater"?

He was so poor last night. Attack - 0. Midfield - 0. Defence - 0. Absolute 0 on the field.

We missed a chance with N'Zonzi last summer. Would've cost as much money as Paulinho but way better at the things a midfielder should do: passing, control a game and defend. Would've helped both Rakitic and Busquets in games like these. He is also a pretty physical guy. And those long legs of his could tackle a player from a mile away.

Nzonzi is what valverde advocates think Paulinho is. But he certainly is not.

FCBfan22

DZpfme4XcAAUxnU.jpg:large

I mean, WTF is this positioning by Paulinho?

LeeRomeno

Answer the question. What type of player is he? Just took a look at Opta and his stats are even worse than I imagined. For all the talk about his goals, his 0.3 goals per game don't seem to indicate he's very reliable on the goalscoring front. And for all the talk of how he helps us defensively, he averages .1 tackles, .4 interceptions, and 3 recovered balls... per 90 minutes. Yeah, he literally averages 1 tackle every ten games. :lol:

Offensively he offers .7 shots on target per game (Not even 1 shot per game) and he averages 33.5 passes per game.

These numbers are abysmal. I enjoy pointing out how awful he has been as a way for me to vent, but if he wasn't so bad in the first place I wouldn't need to do this at all.

So please, tell me, what type of player is he, and how am I just a "hater"?

Oh, so now we are talking about stats. If you bring stats up then how about you also take a look at the alternatives?
Hasnt scored enough? He is still the 3rd best goal-scorer in the team, despite scoring only 1 this year. Shows how important he was during autumn when he was IN-FORM and Valverde didnt have to introduce 2 new players into squad, that have messed up his well oiled maschine. We would not be in such a good situation without his contribution. He has as many goals as all our other midfielders together combined. This clearly shows me that he could easily play the plan B role, which we have not had in our squad since Pep came around. A powerful energetic midfielder, who also is a threat in the box and can head a ball and has good positional sense.
I do not know what stats you follow, but if i look at whoscored, he actually has on average 1 tackle per game. 0,1 seems ridiculous for any player apart from goalkeepers and clearly cannot be correct. With 1 tackle per game he is actually on level with likes of Pique and Vermalen, Gomes, Iniesta and others. Nothing spectacular, nothing too shabby. 0,4 interceptions seems bad, should be better, then again the alternatives like D.Suares has 0,1, Gomes 0,2, Iniesta also 0,4. Only midfielders considerably better than him have been Rakitic and Busi, do not think anyone is denying it that those 2 have been also standout performers defensively this season.
You laugh at his shots per target ratio of 0.7. Do you know who have been better than him? L.Suares, Messi, Coutinho and Yerry Mina with 1 game lol. Everyone else far below from midfield and attack with 0,4 or worse.
Passing, sure, but he was never bought to be some passing midfield maestro.
Difference between haters and others is the fact that while haters find joy in moments where their targets have bad form and use that moment in spreading their agenda and diminishing their role when they actually played well, others rather hope that the bad form can be overcome and player can return to being useful for the benefit of the team in total.
You have stated many times from the beginning that he is flop from England, played in Chinese league blaah blaah blaah, then your mouth was shut during autumn and you are now back to your antics. Remember clearly you actually claimed he has always been as bad as he was in February, only difference was the goals he scored, which is random lie.

5ergio_Busquets

Oh, so now we are talking about stats. If you bring stats up then how about you also take a look at the alternatives?
Hasnt scored enough? He is still the 3rd best goal-scorer in the team, despite scoring only 1 this year. Shows how important he was during autumn when he was IN-FORM and Valverde didnt have to introduce 2 new players into squad, that have messed up his well oiled maschine. We would not be in such a good situation without his contribution. He has as many goals as all our other midfielders together combined. This clearly shows me that he could easily play the plan B role, which we have not had in our squad since Pep came around. A powerful energetic midfielder, who also is a threat in the box and can head a ball and has good positional sense.
I do not know what stats you follow, but if i look at whoscored, he actually has on average 1 tackle per game. 0,1 seems ridiculous for any player apart from goalkeepers and clearly cannot be correct. With 1 tackle per game he is actually on level with likes of Pique and Vermalen, Gomes, Iniesta and others. Nothing spectacular, nothing too shabby. 0,4 interceptions seems bad, should be better, then again the alternatives like D.Suares has 0,1, Gomes 0,2, Iniesta also 0,4. Only midfielders considerably better than him have been Rakitic and Busi, do not think anyone is denying it that those 2 have been also standout performers defensively this season.
You laugh at his shots per target ratio of 0.7. Do you know who have been better than him? L.Suares, Messi, Coutinho and Yerry Mina with 1 game lol. Everyone else far below from midfield and attack with 0,4 or worse.
Difference between haters and others is the fact that while haters find joy in moments where their targets have bad form and use that moment in spreading their agenda and diminishing their role when they actually played well, others rather hope that the bad form can be overcome and player can return to being useful for the benefit of the team in total.
You have stated many times from the beginning that he is flop from England, played in Chinese league blaah blaah blaah, then your mouth was shut during autumn and you are now back to your antics. Remember clearly you actually claimed he has always been as bad as he was in February, only difference was the goals he scored, which is random lie.

"He has as many goals as all our other midfielders together combined"

You said it: MIDFIELDERS, they play in the MIDFIELD and go forward when on some occasions to support the attack, Paulinho plays more like a CF than a midfielder and so he isn't scoring enough and the only really important goal he scored was the one against Getafe.
People keep repeating this POWERFUL ENERGETIC thing without explaining what they actually mean! So WHAT'S EXACTLY THE USEFUL THING HE DOES WITH THAT POWER AND ENERGY?!!
Also he scored just one header and missed some really easy free headers.
Off form? No he isn't, that's his level even when he was scoring he wasn't a good MIDFIELDER and the tap-in goals don't change that.

God Serena

Hasnt scored enough? He is still the 3rd best goal-scorer in the team, despite scoring only 1 this year. Shows how important he was during autumn when he was IN-FORM and Valverde didnt have to introduce 2 new players into squad, that have messed up his well oiled maschine.

He scored goals when he was in form. Nobody is denying this. But that was close to his only contribution to the team back then. The fact that he's only scored once this year and that it was in mid January says it all about how he's not a reliable goal scorer. Also, how have our two new players ruined his "Well oiled machine"? Are you trying to blame Coutinho and Dembele for Paulinho playing like shit every week? Him being the third best goal scorer on the team isn't very impressive when our entire attacking strategy revolves around setting up Messi and Suarez. At one point our 2nd best goal scorer was Fabregas... It just says more about our lack of options attacking wise than it says about the midfielder.

We would not be in such a good situation without his contribution. He has as many goals as all our other midfielders together combined. This clearly shows me that he could easily play the plan B role, which we have not had in our squad since Pep came around. A powerful energetic midfielder, who also is a threat in the box and can head a ball and has good positional sense.

The job of a Barca midfielder is not to score goals. That's the reason why he has more. Iniesta, Rakitic, Busquets... these are all players infinitely better than Paulinho by any metric, who do not score goals. If he's such a threat in the box why has he not scored since January? And what positional sense are you talking about? Do you mean in the box? Because inside the box is the only time Paulinho is in a good position. His off the ball movement is atrocious and usually just involves running towards the opposing box, which is a large part of why he sees so little of the ball, but we'll get to that, because you said something really dumb later on in your post that addresses that.

Whoscored is just about as unreliable as it gets when it comes to stats. On their site, right now, they have Paulinho's strengths listed as through balls, key passes, and passing, while listing his weaknesses as aerial duels. It's like they're a parody website. You must not even watch the games if you think Paulinho averages as many tackles as Pique and Vermaelen. Perhaps you should reconsider your sources for stats? Because you couldn't possibly genuinely believe that. And besides, this isn't a dick measuring contest between him and the other midfielders. Paulinho is supposed to bring something different, that only he can offer, right? If he's producing similar stats to players we already have who offer more in many other aspects of their play, what's the point in playing him?

Once again, trying to measure dicks. It doesn't matter who has better numbers. If you keep talking up how dangerous he is in the goal scoring department, let him be dangerous. Thus far, he is not. Or at least, he hasn't been in a very long time.

This is probably the dumbest thing you've ever said, tbh. You think having 33 passes per game means he's just bad at passing? No, it means he's really bad at movement. He's never in a good position to receive the ball. He has little to no influence on our buildup play. He doesn't have anything to do with retaining and circulating the ball. You'd have been better off saying "He was never bought to be a midfielder" because that's essentially what you did just say.

You do not get to define me or tell me what I do and don't find joy in. You're just trying to take a holier than thou attitude and nobody gives a fuck.

You have stated many times from the beginning that he is flop from England, played in Chinese league blaah blaah blaah,

He is.

then your mouth was shut during autumn

No it wasn't and I have proven so in this very thread.

and you are now back to your antics. Remember clearly you actually claimed he has always been as bad as he was in February, only difference was the goals he scored, which is random lie.

It is my opinion that his goal scoring was the only thing keeping his performances above subpar. Aside from the goals he scored, his passing, dribbling, and off the ball movement were still more or less identical to how they are now. These flaws are just magnified by how he's now incapable of being a threat in the box.

LeeRomeno

He scored goals when he was in form. Nobody is denying this. But that was close to his only contribution to the team back then. The fact that he's only scored once this year and that it was in mid January says it all about how he's not a reliable goal scorer. Also, how have our two new players ruined his "Well oiled machine"? Are you trying to blame Coutinho and Dembele for Paulinho playing like shit every week? Him being the third best goal scorer on the team isn't very impressive when our entire attacking strategy revolves around setting up Messi and Suarez. At one point our 2nd best goal scorer was Fabregas... It just says more about our lack of options attacking wise than it says about the midfielder.

Nice lie, here are some stats for Paulinho before and after we started integrating Coutinho and Dembele:
Goals before 8 (1 every 138th minute), after 0 (519 minutes and ticking)
Assists 2 vs 0
Shots every 40th minute vs 47th
Key passes 8 vs 3
Longballs 15 vs 6
Dribbles 20 vs 3 (massive change here)
Interceptions 11 vs 2
And so on, his role has changed since we have 2 "new" players and he is clearly not comfortable for whatever reason. Nothing new, our entire form has been much worse since the new players and this pretty obvious. Many January transfers mess things up, even with big names. Fabregas was just another scapegoat, joined with massive hype, his profile was never suitable for the team and although he had great start of his last season, his falling off in second half is only thing people remember. Similar to Zlatan and many others. Perfect player for the black and white squad here to flame the blame.

The job of a Barca midfielder is not to score goals. That's the reason why he has more. Iniesta, Rakitic, Busquets... these are all players infinitely better than Paulinho by any metric, who do not score goals. If he's such a threat in the box why has he not scored since January? And what positional sense are you talking about? Do you mean in the box? Because inside the box is the only time Paulinho is in a good position. His off the ball movement is atrocious and usually just involves running towards the opposing box, which is a large part of why he sees so little of the ball, but we'll get to that, because you said something really dumb later on in your post that addresses that.

Says who? We have been searching for Plan B for ages, a scoring midfielder is great to have among the ranks. There are several reasons why he has fallen off. He is getting less chances, but also bottles those. Which for me shows that his role has changed and his form has turned bad. And yes I was referring his positioning in the box as we were talking about goalscoring.

Whoscored is just about as unreliable as it gets when it comes to stats. On their site, right now, they have Paulinho's strengths listed as through balls, key passes, and passing, while listing his weaknesses as aerial duels. It's like they're a parody website. You must not even watch the games if you think Paulinho averages as many tackles as Pique and Vermaelen. Perhaps you should reconsider your sources for stats? Because you couldn't possibly genuinely believe that. And besides, this isn't a dick measuring contest between him and the other midfielders. Paulinho is supposed to bring something different, that only he can offer, right? If he's producing similar stats to players we already have who offer more in many other aspects of their play, what's the point in playing him?
Pretty interesting statement considering the fact that whoscored gets their data from Opta like many other sites. Remember Opta? The source you brought into this? I havent even remotely talked about their player profiles or rankings, which are definitely biased, but the raw stats are not.

Once again, trying to measure dicks. It doesn't matter who has better numbers. If you keep talking up how dangerous he is in the goal scoring department, let him be dangerous. Thus far, he is not. Or at least, he hasn't been in a very long time.
Lol, you brought the stats up, not me, you starting measuring dicks, i just brought comparison into the game.

This is probably the dumbest thing you've ever said, tbh. You think having 33 passes per game means he's just bad at passing? No, it means he's really bad at movement. He's never in a good position to receive the ball. He has little to no influence on our buildup play. He doesn't have anything to do with retaining and circulating the ball. You'd have been better off saying "He was never bought to be a midfielder" because that's essentially what you did just say.
Not really, he was never brought to be a playmaker, which means that he gets less balls because players search Rakitic or Busi for the distribution. He was brought to add tempo and agility to midfield and help with attacking movement. He was brought as a midfielder, but not traditional Barcelona midfielder, which imho makes him such a good asset if used properly.

You do not get to define me or tell me what I do and don't find joy in. You're just trying to take a holier than thou attitude and nobody gives a fuck.
Yes I do, its a forum after all and what you write here gives pretty good clues. It is also pretty hilarious how people who respond in such way claim that noone gives a fck. If noone would give a fck, noone would respond to anything.
He is.
No it wasn't and I have proven so in this very thread.
It is my opinion that his goal scoring was the only thing keeping his performances above subpar. Aside from the goals he scored, his passing, dribbling, and off the ball movement were still more or less identical to how they are now. These flaws are just magnified by how he's now incapable of being a threat in the box.

Sure, just glad your opinion does not really matter.

Felipetonelo

Madrid has Modric, Casemiro, Kroos, Isco... Barcelona has this guy.
This is ridiculous.
Even when Paulinho played here in Brazil, he only looked good because of his physical and stamina. Brazilian players are usually small and run less than any european player.
That's why he seemed good outside of the Europe, but it's an average guy in Europe and not Barcelona quality.

gasgas

Madrid has Modric, Casemiro, Kroos, Isco... Barcelona has this guy.
This is ridiculous.
Even when Paulinho played here in Brazil, he only looked good because of his physical and stamina. Brazilian players are usually small and run less than any european player.
That's why he seemed good outside of the Europe, but it's an average guy in Europe and not Barcelona quality.

Is it truw that he was recommended by Messi?

God Serena

Yes I do, its a forum after all and what you write here gives pretty good clues. It is also pretty hilarious how people who respond in such way claim that noone gives a fck. If noone would give a fck, noone would respond to anything.

I was going to give a full reply as usual but this pretty much ends it here. You're not even capable of having a discussion. I truly do not care what you think about me or your ad hominem, and if not discussing the player at all is what I have to do to to make that clear, I bed thee farewell.

LeeRomeno

I was going to give a full reply as usual but this pretty much ends it here. You're not even capable of having a discussion. I truly do not care what you think about me or your ad hominem, and if not discussing the player at all is what I have to do to to make that clear, I bed thee farewell.

Rofl, yea that is another way to back out of discussion you are constantly losing.

Home of Barca Fans