Paulinho

Joan

I get what you're saying but just watch him when Messi tries to find space... He somehow always draws defenders away from Messi which allows Messi to have a run at the defense. It's not coincidence that Messi's dribbling/take on figures are through the roof this season.
Agree on this part. Also, the way he bullies the defence and opens space preventing them from organizing is another aspect of his game which is underrated. Best example is vs. Madrid, even in the first half when we struggled to keep the ball and create anything he had a few chances and if it hadn't been for Navas' brilliant save, he would've scored there.
But it's not about scoring, it's about his influence. That might have something to do with him being a new signing and that teams don't know how to defend him yet. We'll see how that developes.
Many don't agree with me but with Messi's current influence I'd like a return to 4-3-3 False 9 with Paulinho/Roberto as the box to box, Coutinho/Iniesta as your creative outlet in midfield depending on the opposition. Of course I also understand that it's difficult to make that decision now with the way Rakitic is performing as part of a double pivot.
This wouldn't work for us, clearly. Barca has its own stlye and there is no chance this setup (with Coutinho, possibly Iniesta) would be able to control the rythm of the game. With Coutinho and Roberto in the middle we'd be driving the ball forward all the time, losing it quite often, riskig defensive stability...
Also, if Messi really played as a false 9, not as an AM, Suarez would be forced to play more on the left, Coutinho would be occupied with midfield work.. with this setup you just wouldn't get the most of our squad... besides Dembele, maybe. I think Valverde is dealing with the problem very well.
By the way, what position would you say Messi occupies now and how is it different from the false 9 you have in mind?

Last edited:
M

MessiCam

Agree on this part. Also, the way he bullies the defence and opens space preventing them from organizing is another aspect of his game which is underrated. Best example is vs. Madrid, even in the first half when we struggled to keep the ball and create anything he had a few chances and if it hadn't been for Navas' brilliant save, he would've scored there.
But it's not about scoring, it's about his influence. That might have something to do with him being a new signing and that teams don't know how to defend him yet. We'll see how that developes.

This wouldn't work for us, clearly. Barca has its own stlye and there is no chance this setup (with Coutinho, possibly Iniesta) would be able to control the rythm of the game. With Coutinho and Roberto in the middle we'd be driving the ball forward all the time, losing it quite often, riskig defensive stability...
Also, if Messi really played as a false 9, not as an AM, Suarez would be forced to play more on the left, Coutinho would be occupied with midfield work.. with this setup you just wouldn't get the most of our squad... besides Dembele, maybe. I think Valverde is dealing with the problem very well.
By the way, what position would you say Messi occupies now and how is it different from the false 9 you have in mind?

Messi is basically doing the same thing a False 9 would do but the reason I prefer 4-3-3 is due to the 3 central midfielders and the midfield overload the full backs and Messi would present. Also there’s width on the right which is severely lacking.

I am not a fan of this 4-4-2 for various reasons but most of all it’s because we play with only 2 central midfielders in Busquets and Rakitic. It also allows teams to play out easier from the back.

Anyway, Suarez has been playing as a left inside forward a lot already. Against Celta, Sociedad, Levante... Messi almost picks up the more central position which is exactly what you want in my opinion.

Windhook

He is always doing a lot of dirty work, one moment he is pressing together with Suarez upfront, the next moment he is helping RB to defend.

This is his profile - a box-to-box midfielder. The reason why Barca signed him, the reason why everyone (except the Brazilians) here was mad at Barto this summer.:bartomeu: Before Neymar left, of course.

Sorin

He was useless today. He was stepping on the toes of everyone out front, because he isn't a CM. He's mostly a forward who makes runs for Messi's passes. Today we had Suarez, Messi, Coutinho, Iniesta...all very offensive minded. Paulinho was just another player overcrowding our attacks.

Anyway, hope Valverde sees that he isn't a fecking CM.

5ergio_Busquets

This guy gets praise for an average performance and no criticism for a bad one just because of the low expectations and his tap-in goals. People need to remember that he is a midfielder and he should show some discipline with his positioning.
Even Pique and Umtiti would Score those tap-ins if they forget their position on the field and run forward on every attack.

Ritchie

A poor signing because we needed a proper CM. He did well early season by scoring goals. He doesn't really do anything generally.

Another plodder really along with Gomes, Arda, Denis etc.

Sorin

This guy gets praise for an average performance and no criticism for a bad one just because of the low expectations and his tap-in goals. People need to remember that he is a midfielder and he should show some discipline with his positioning.
Even Pique and Umtiti would Score those tap-ins if they forget their position on the field and run forward on every attack.

Spot on. He is excused while others are shat on everytime they are not world class. This guy has been average way too long w/o much criticism.

Another thing I don't understand is how can people think that he brings stability in defense? On every other opponent attack he is caught way up around their area but he is praised as a box to box. Fecking hell even Messi is sometimes caught around our box, that doesn't mean that he puts a good defensive shift.

FinBarcelonafan

A poor signing because we needed a proper CM. He did well early season by scoring goals. He doesn't really do anything generally.

Another plodder really along with Gomes, Arda, Denis etc.

He is still much better than those guys. Not close. His finishing ability is worth more than those guys combined.

Sorin

And when he isn't finishing, he's worse than almost all of them.

So what? Does that mean that he shouldn't be criticized as the others are?

BusiTheKing

He is still much better than those guys. Not close. His finishing ability is worth more than those guys combined.

He's got different strengths, but I can't see how his overall level is unquestionably higher when he puts in absolutely useless performances like tonight. His finishing isn't even very good.

CatalinR10

Ah yes , paulinho haters get out of their cave after 6 months to complain about a bad game of his. Good for you to get outside and take a breath of fresh air <3

Home of Barca Fans