Ismaïla Sarr

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Starter for Ligue 1 side Metz.

Don't see him accepting Barca B when Ligue 1 is a great place to be to develop yourself into a better footballer right now.

Gerard Romero been wrong on almost everything this transfer window so this is probably wrong too.

khaled_a_d

Starter for Ligue 1 side Metz.

Don't see him accepting Barca B when Ligue 1 is a great place to be to develop yourself into a better footballer right now.

Gerard Romero been wrong on almost everything this transfer window so this is probably wrong too.

Well he says interest from what I understand,not saying he is accepting.
Agree it is unlikely to happen, may be if he has a promotion clause he might consider it

Messi983

I think he would be too expensive for Barça B and also wouldn't accept to play there. I don't know how good he is and what his potential is but if our scouting team and Robert believe he has great potential and Metz won't ask crazy money for him maybe we should buy him and loan him for a season back to his current team or to another team to keep developing. With prices on the market going more crazy every year I think we should adapt to that and concentrate on getting more those type of 18-20 years old talented players from smaller clubs under our control. That means actually buying them and not just "monitoring" them and wait until another bigger club sign them and their price (at least) duplicate. There are a lot of talented players in mid/lower table La Liga teams and also in Ligue 1. Maybe we could also look for Scandinavian (Ajax have signed a lot of good to potentially great players like Ibra and Eriksen from there) and other smaller leagues in Europe.

I think there are 3 ways to improve and bring young talent to the team relatively cheaply. I believe the club should have 10-20M per season invested in those type of deals.

1. keep bringing fresh talent through all levels of La Masia teams like we already do but maybe we could also improve in that aspect as well. Of course, important thing here would be to also keep most of them until they came to Juvenil A/Barça B but I'm aware that some talented players will leave before that as we can't keep them all.

2. I like how we started to operate recently with players like Marlon and Vitinho. Get talented players (probably mostly from Brazil because their clubs seems the most willing to do those type of deals but we should also looke elsewhere) on loan with buy option. Some of them will work out, others won't but if we can get one Marlon (yes, he still needs to prove himself on first team level regularly but I believe he'll do that) out of 3 or 4 players then that's still better than paying 30 or 40M for a player like him when he'll fully prove himself in another European club (like Davinson Sanchez for example).

3. This is where I think we could improve the most and the reason why I started to wrote this post at all. Start using low release clauses for younger player in La Liga in our favour for once. As said above, there are a lot of talented youngsters in La Liga (and even in Segunda) which we could get for less than 10M. We've missed out on Asensio, Vallejo, Ceballos,... who we could get for a combined of 25M. Sign those type of players when they are still in Mallorca, Zaragoza, Betis, Malaga,... and not wait until they get to richer clubs like Sevilla or Villarreal and not even talk about AM/RM when their release clauses will get much higher or to foreign clubs where those clauses don't exist and clubs can ask for whatever they want.

Also, concentrate on players whose contracts expires in a season and who we can get cheaper because of that. Let's say player's X clause is 8M and his contract expires in one year. If we'll show interest at the right time then it's possible he'll decide not to renew and let his club know that. I know clubs usually don't want to pay buy-out clauses because that could ruin relationships between the clubs but try to negotiate with this player's club instead. Offer them 5-6M and a possibility for player to stay with his current team for another season or two on loan if he's already an important player for them. Will they accept that? Probably not all clubs/players but some possibly will so it's worth a try. It could work well for all parties involved. Barça would guarantee themselves a player for the future and also possibly save some millions if we can get a player for less than his buyout clause by leaving him on loan for a season. Player would get regular playing time and more experience in his current club to get ready for Barça. And his club would get some money instead of risking losing a player for nothing and at the same time they would keep a player for the rest of his current contract (on loan from Barça) or even for a season more if both clubs would agree that is the best option.

Keep using that approach to get as many talented 18-20 years old players as possible under our control and see how they'll develop. Also don't be affraid that this would prevent our own youngsters coming through La Masia ranks to make it into the first team. If they are good enough they'll eventually get a chance and then it's only up to them if they'll use their opportunities to prove themselves. Almost all of our current and former homegrown stars had to compete for their minutes against foreign players at start of their first team careers. So while I absolutely agree that players like Palencia, Alena, Cucu,.. should get a chance to prove them in first team at the same time we shouldn't wait for them for ages and not bring talented players from the outside to compete with them.

People keep talking that we didn't sign Asensio and sign Douglas instead. While that is true in some extent I think the real reason we didn't sign Asensio was because we thought we have the next big stars in Denis, Deulofeu and/or Halilović (who we just bought the same summer so I think it's more fair to say we signed Alen instead of Asensio and not Douglas who is not even playing the same position). While I believe Asensio is somewhat overrated here he's clearly shown the most so far and it seems he has the most bright future from all of them (still there is no guarantee that he'll really develop into a worldclass player most people expect him to). We shouldn't miss out on him just because we didn't want to close the door of the first team to other mentioned players. Sign all young players we could (and that are willing to sign with us under our terms), keep some of them in Barça B (if they accept that) or loan them if there is no place for them in first team and see what future awaits them. But don't be affraid to have more than one or two "big talents" at every position. Not everyone will work out as expected but if we'll develop 2 potentially good to great players in the same position we could always retrain one of them to play in another position (if he's not a GK :)) or sell them for profit if we decide to do that.

Another thing to consider with this approach are wages. If we are signing a player from midtable La Liga club where he's currently paid let's say 0,5M/year (or even less) we can easily duplicate his wages to make him happy but that's still 3-4 times less than what we have to paid to more established (but not neccesary better/more talented) players we sign from bigger clubs. And if we let him on loan then we might just paid half of his wages.

Just an approach I think we should really consider to use. In the coming years I'd concentrate mostly on midfielders and forwards because prices of proven players at those positions are crazier every year and we'll also have to replace almost all of our current midfield/forward starters (and most backups) in a few years. If Semedo will work out good I think we are pretty good set in defense and we also have good talents in both FB positions and have also signed some CB talents (with Yerry Mina also coming next year) so I'm much more optimistic about our defense future than I was 3-4 years ago. Now it's time to concentrate on midfielders and forwards. Well, the right time for CM positions was also 3-4 years ago but we can't change past mistakes and we are paying for them now. But there is still time if we start to look for MSN and Busquets possible successors now. It won't be easy but it can be done. And I'd rather risk to bring 5 or 10 players for 5-10M and let them develop and see what they have than have to pay 100M+ or whatever price ranges will be in 3-4 years when we'll actually need to have their replacements. We'll probably have to pay big money for some of Busi/MSN replacements but if we can get let's say two future starters (and 3-4 potential squad players) out of those cheaper options (including La Masia) I'll find this a success.

FC433

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">DONE DEAL: Rennes have completed the signing of Ismaïla Sarr from Metz on a four-year deal. <br><br>(via <a href="https://twitter.com/staderennais">@staderennais</a>) <a href="https://t.co/43zgNjmwWK">pic.twitter.com/43zgNjmwWK</a></p>— Squawka News (@SquawkaNews) <a href="https://twitter.com/SquawkaNews/status/890219883782434816">July 26, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Icarium

Lifestealer
Apparently he rejected Barca, it is too big of a jump it seems. A young player who actually makes sensible decisions. That is a new. Good for him, hope he does well.

xXKonan

[tw]1002942933904121856[/tw]

Says Barca scouts were watching him play for Senegal vs Luxembourg. Seems like we are still interested in him.

Home of Barca Fans