Matthijs de Ligt

VN10

The truth hurts, I know! It's fine either way my biased friends.

Let's compare EL and CL winners again to determine the overal strength of a league. :lol:

soul24rage

Let's compare EL and CL winners again to determine the overal strength of a league. :lol:

Lol you calling people biased while you yourself is biased too.
Then how would you compare the 8-20th team in each league?

Judoman

This article is 6 years old though. Not saying it's not true anymore, just pointing that out.

I know, it was meant as an example of an argument via 5 sec. of google usage, which is still better than "lol-s" or other forms of sarcasm.

Vilarrubi

This article is 6 years old though. Not saying it's not true anymore, just pointing that out.

Correct. It uses the Elo Points System which has the gap a lot wider now.

ESP Spain
Level 1 (20 teams) ⌀1736

ENG England
Level 1 (20 teams) ⌀1709

ITA Italy
Level 1 (20 teams) ⌀1634

GER Germany
Level 1 (18 teams) ⌀1680

FRA France
Level 1 (20 teams) ⌀1580

POR Portugal
Level 1 (18 teams) ⌀1490

http://clubelo.com/

ebieymjunior

de Ligt has one of the most promising future of any CB (including the likes of Varane and Umtiti), would be amazing if we got him.

Next season should be Pique, de Ligt, Umtiti and Lenglet, with Todibo on loan (replacing Pique in the future).

Joan

It won't be. People should forget about De Ligt. His demands (just like his agents') are huge.

ebieymjunior

We should have done what everyone was saying to do, what we did for Arthur: agreement with both club and player to buy next season. We should do that more often too

Cule4life

The Culest

strong-in-this-one-the-irony-is.jpg

Arizona Scott

I think the EPL and La Liga are clearly above the rest, but each is superior in some elements to the other in how you determine what is the "best league". I think that one is an endless debate. The metrics don't converge and an eye test will show players being exposed (and your run of the mill league player being incredibly impressive) in both leagues.

In terms of De Ligt, he is the most promising CB prospect out there, but whether he is worth the cost who knows. (Lucas Hernandez is a couple years older but has cut his teeth in national competitions and with Atletico, with a 90 mil buyout.) I also would severely doubt De Ligt is is ready to be a good consistent player in La Liga or EPL his 1st year. (For instance Daley Blind looks like an excellent player when playing in the Eredivisie) I will be interested to seem him play Real, while their attack has been in shambles this year they still have some pacy and skilled players they have not much to play for this year other than the CL.

Last edited:

Zidane82

Didn't we have all this nonsense years ago ... then wasn't it Athletic Bilbao beat the dominant English team at the time ManU home and away . They even outplayed them in both ties. Bilbao were about 7th place or something at the time

Jair Ventura

To be fair, the original discussion wasn't about whether the EPL were as good as La Liga(it isn't), but whether or not there's a sizable gap between Serie A and the Bundesliga, and Ligue 1.

Home of Barca Fans