Matthijs de Ligt

El Gato

Villarato!
It is as clear as day, isn't it?

Playing time: He himself said several times keeping playing is very important to him. Koeman also said that's what De Ligt told him, he needs to keep playing.

Money: He hired Raiola and gave him a free reign to get the fattest contract there can be. So far Juventus' reported or rumored offer, at 14m net, is the highest, more than what PSG and we offered him. And Juventus is most likely (90%, 95%, take your pick) where he will be.

Putting 2 and 2 together.

Playing time I'm not disputing. Any player wants that at this level.

Money though?
How much do you know of his reasons for agreeing to be managed by Raiola? At 16-18, or however old he was when they started working together?

Is Mkhitaryan motivated by money? Are all Raiola clients motivated by money? At any age?

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Playing time I'm not disputing. Any player wants that at this level.

Money though?
How much do you know of his reasons for agreeing to be managed by Raiola? At 16-18, or however old he was when they started working together?

Is Mkhitaryan motivated by money? Are all Raiola clients motivated by money? At any age?

I'd say so, because Raiola is known for maximizing monetary gains for players he represents. If they didn't hire him because of that, what for?

To me age doesn't matter. Young kids these days are as money crazed as adults and older people.

El Gato

Villarato!
This is this silly conversation where we just assume something about every player regardless of the age, influence of his parents etc. etc. In this case we assume they're making it a conscious decision to be a mercenary from an early age. Lol. Ok. Whatever.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
This is this silly conversation where we just assume something about every player regardless of the age, influence of his parents etc. etc. In this case we assume they're making it a conscious decision to be a mercenary from an early age. Lol. Ok. Whatever.

So at what age is one held accountable for making his or her own decisions?

Nobody was pointing a gun at him to hire Raiola.

El Gato

Villarato!
So at what age is one held accountable for making his or her own decisions?

Nobody was pointing a gun at him to hire Raiola.

Don't know. Merely pointing out you've assumed lots of things and essentially given him a label on the grounds of agreeing to work with a particular person. But sure, you're one to like labels (traitors, mercenaries etc). Any reason to categorize somebody I guess.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Don't know. Merely pointing out you've assumed lots of things and essentially given him a label on the grounds of agreeing to work with a particular person. But sure, you're one to like labels (traitors, mercenaries etc). Any reason to categorize somebody I guess.

Just calling what it is. Plus, nothing wrong with wanting money, most players want money.

I never called anybody a mercenary, did I?

Givenchy

as said in the Neymar thread. imo the moment our board got wind of Neymar wanting to leave PSG, we dropped operation De Ligt like a brick.

i don't think the wages for De Ligt will be as high as people are predicting either, we most likely lost out due to Barto not showing enough intent

Arizona Scott

It actually may be very wise for De Ligt to play vs the strikers in Serie A or non-PSG opponents in Ligue 1. It would be much harder for him to look bad, get his confidence shaken, or has his place taken away than if he played for Barca or Liverpool or City. More money and less stress and pressure for a 19 year old, I get it and would not begrudge him for it. Just hope it is negotiated in such a way if at some point he is ready for a step up in weekly competition he is able.

Home of Barca Fans