Matthijs de Ligt

Campos

It depends on what systems you play. In systems where you park the bus often and your CBs spend most of their time inside and around their own penalty box, you don’t need a lot of pace and instead positioning and awareness are much more important. Also in compact systems where midfielders and the defenders are not too far away from one another and they cover each other well pace is also not that important. In a system like ours where we play a pretty highline and our defenders and midfielders often push out even to the other half supporting the attacking game pace would be important, as we have often found out in the past that our opponents often hit us in the back via a long pass behind our defenders or they quickly cut through our often non-existent midfield, which resulted in our defenders, especially our CBs chasing the ball a lot. So we would value a pacey CB. Not saying it is more important than everything else but it is important.

Ajax and Barca play the same way. So De Ligt would be a perfect fit. Barca would feel like home to him.
Him and Frenkie could have been a great duo.

But i don't think Juve is a bad choice either. He's outside his comfort zone now. Playing in a different system.
Now he has to pass the ball to Matuidi and Emre Can (both can't do shit with the ball on the feet).... or long balls to CR7 if he's desperate. It will take some time to get used

But in the end, playing a different system will only make him a more complete defender.

Playing for Barca would have been much easier for him. But he chose the harder path. Props to him.

Zidane82

Ajax and Barca play the same way. So De Ligt would be a perfect fit. Barca would feel like home to him.
Him and Frenkie could have been a great duo.

But i don't think Juve is a bad choice either. He's outside his comfort zone now. Playing in a different system.
Now he has to pass the ball to Matuidi and Emre Can (both can't do shit with the ball on the feet).... or long balls to CR7 if he's desperate. It will take some time to get used

But in the end, playing a different system will only make him a more complete defender.

Playing for Barca would have been much easier for him. But he chose the harder path. Props to him.
Fair points

Givenchy

people need to accept Barca aren't the center of the football universe anymore.

its no use saying 'Barca were the obvious choice, ajax connection, style', you are living in a different time zone. today, we have Valverde's version of Barca.. an abomination. no system, no style. add to that a manager with zero personality, seniors deciding on when and who plays the list goes on and on.

I'd say De Ligt made a smart choice joining Juve knowing in a few years time he can get his dream move to the PL if he still wants that (he was never a cule like Frenkie and imo he'll have a journeyman type career)

if Valverde stays on and gets another contract extension midway through the coming season, we will probably see it effecting our transfers

gregorrin10

Oh FFS some of you need to stop being bitter. He signed for Juve and he is a great prospect but we needed De Jong more! Simple as that! So stop being bitter, accept the fact we can't sign every single player and enjoy football!

We're bitter because we were all but confirmed to get him, a great player and a world class talent, a true warrior, who could lead our defensive line at least for a decade, but then Neymar starts crying in the bed he made for himself, and our stupid Board, under pressure to bring us as many attacking flashy new toys as possible to make the glory hunter fans forget last season's humiliation, completely abandoned the De Ligt deal, stopped trying to negotiate, and for what? A transfer we're never gonna get over the line anyway? We'll waste the rest of the summer leaking to the press how unhappy Neymar is in Paris, PSG will say pay 200M cash or fuck you, and we'll hold off on all our other targets because we're gonna be naive thinking as summer draws to a close, PSG will somehow magically settle and drop the price or agree to some swap deal. I'll be happy if we'll at least get the absolutely needed LB backup in Firpo and not botch that one too. As for PSG, I truly believe at this point they would rather swap him to Madrid just for Bale, even if we gave them Coutinho (who is alone a better player and thus a better deal for PSG), and another player or even two more (Raki? Malcom?), just to spite us. It's Thiago Silva and Verratti all over again.

We had a plan, get De Jong in January = DONE, pay the release clause for Griezmann (don't create more drama with trying to bring down the price and piss off Atletico even more than we already did by taking their best player), but even more importantly don't waste time for this deal, just get it done quickly and swiftly, and then focus all your attention to convince De Ligt to come and tie him up before other clubs get involved. You saw how back when we were massive favourites to get De Ligt, no other club even looked at the De Ligt, since they assumed it was more or less a done deal? But then our Board got their heads turned by the Neymar drama, took their eye off the ball, and Juve felt an opportunity opening up, and pounced! And then Bartomeu with his massive ego thought he'd stroll in and steal the deal like he did with De Jong, but he was dead wrong. I'm absolutely certain that at the time he made that interview about knowing where De Ligt will play next season, he was 100% sure that De Ligt would choose us. Now of course Raiola was a pain in the ass too, if it weren't for him, i'm absolutely sure we would've tied up De Ligt back in April or May, maybe even in January already, cause i'm sure Raiola was the one, who gave the advice to De Ligt to wait for a bidding war (transfer and wages wise) in the summer and not make any hasty decisions in the winter, cause he wanted his 10M, but the simple fact is, we didn't try hard enough in the end, we weren't as committed as we were for De Jong, and De Ligt sensed that and chose the other club.

Arizona Scott

people need to accept Barca aren't the center of the football universe anymore.

There never is only one "center" for prospects. Along with $, always depends on language, culture (footy and nation/region), personal experience as a kid, etc.

Barca did just land the best MF prospect in the world and in AG got the best attacking talent who changed teams so far this window. We are not doing too bad.

MDL did well for himself and very good move for Juve. But he was expensive and it is not a sure thing he would have been worth the cost to Barca. Gives him a few years min also before facing EPL or La Liga attacks and attacking players day in and day out (if he ever does this move). The talent around him is far better than any other club in his new league, and that should make it easier for his next stage in growth and he won't get isolated all the much. (would say the same if he went to Bayern or PSG BTW)

Zidane82

There never is only one "center" for prospects. Along with $, always depends on language, culture (footy and nation/region), personal experience as a kid, etc.

Barca did just land the best MF prospect in the world and in AG got the best attacking talent who changed teams so far this window. We are not doing too bad.

MDL did well for himself and very good move for Juve. But he was expensive and it is not a sure thing he would have been worth the cost to Barca. Gives him a few years min also before facing EPL or La Liga attacks and attacking players day in and day out (if he ever does this move). The talent around him is far better than any other club in his new league, and that should make it easier for his next stage in growth and he won't get isolated all the much. (would say the same if he went to Bayern or PSG BTW)
Looks like they’re gonna sell Dybala to Spurs for £80 mill ..

I’d have him in a heartbeat

Saladin

Looks like they’re gonna sell Dybala to Spurs for £80 mill ..

I’d have him in a heartbeat

Dybala has been a 'potential world class player' for three seasons now. Something must be off, since he keeps getting benched on a regular basis by both club and country.

soul24rage

Dybala has been a 'potential world class player' for three seasons now. Something must be off, since he keeps getting benched on a regular basis by both club and country.

Dybala plays like a 9.5 or a second striker which is hard to find a position for in modern formations.

His ideal position is playing as one of the two upfront in a 4-3-1-2. He's just born in the wrong era imo.

Dybala played well vs Chile in that formation in the Copa 19

The problem with Dybala is that he isnt consistent. There are matches where he plays like Messi, then there are games where he plays like Coutinho. Juve really needed him against Ajax last season but he was invisible.

VN10

Big boys! You think we still don't need De Ligt after seeing Umtiti and Todibo last night?

Haha. I'm glad you guys know your football... :'D

Raketa10

Big boys! You think we still don't need De Ligt after seeing Umtiti and Todibo last night?

Haha. I'm glad you guys know your football... :'D

Dude you basically post only in this thread. Just go to Juve forum already if De Ligt is the only reason you came here.

Home of Barca Fans