Matthijs de Ligt

VN10

Our offer wasn't underpaying. He just believes that he is worth more than De Jong, which he clearly isn't.

Our wages are ridiculous enough as it is, I agree with the board that he wasn't worth more than our offer. Juve went mental on the wages and on commission to Raiola, great for them.
We on the other hand has a wage problem, so we should be more careful, also not to totally wreck the hierarchy in the dressing room by giving him more than Alba/Pique etc. This decision was not arrogance, but very smart and wise. I still blame De Ligt as a player and person for not joining us, but I don't blame the board in this instance (but if the board signs Neymar, then they are truly mental).

:lol:

Messi983

BTW, Juve has just bought another CB (Cristian Romero) for around 20M and they plan to leave him on loan at Genoa. So yeah, they have money. :D

Ajax

don't forget that VVD was 86m at Southampton. Nowdays he is probably worth 140m - 160m or something like that

So a 19y old defender with his experience and future is worth a lot

Salary wise it would be insane to pay him 2nd most of the whole squad. You shouldn't even include Messi in that list as he moves in a different universe (not only on the pitch but also as a brand)

Raketa10

He isn't worth the salary he will be getting from Juve. Surely not now. Will he be worth it or not one day we'll see but the decision not to give him more than we gave to De Jong was the right one.

Last edited:

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
It's a preposterously high salary for a player of his age and position on the pitch. Sure, some clubs are willing to overpay to secure the services of a great talent like his but at what cost to your overall sporting budget nevermind the knock on effect it would have to the squad

Raiola, I'm not surprised but De Ligt? We were led to believe he was level headed but a 19 year old jumping at the paycheck suggests he is incapable of seeing the big picture and that will eventually be quite problematic at any club

Poor_Sunyol

In Lucho we trust!
It's a preposterously high salary for a player of his age and position on the pitch. Sure, some clubs are willing to overpay to secure the services of a great talent like his but at what cost to your overall sporting budget nevermind the knock on effect it would have to the squad

Raiola, I'm not surprised but De Ligt? We were led to believe he was level headed but a 19 year old jumping at the paycheck suggests he is incapable of seeing the big picture and that will eventually be quite problematic at any club

Could they be paying him that much because they reckon that they will sell him next season for a much higher transfer fee than they are paying now?

Newcomer

Could they be paying him that much because they reckon that they will sell him next season for a much higher transfer fee than they are paying now?

No.
It is because Juve is ambitious. They took CR7, they got better deals with Adidas and other sponsors. Now, with this money, they want to make a push for CL while the portuguese is still physically strong.

They also profit from the new tax laws which will allow italian clubs to be very competitive on salary.

The objective of Juventus is not to sell him. But if they have to, they know they'll prolly get back their investment and some more.

abbbs97

I dont see how Juve can win the CL when they still have a relatively weak midfield.

anyway, I'm glad we didnt get de Ligt. Look what Raiola is doing to Pogba now with United. He'll 100% do the same if de Ligt had joined Barca. We should just take Pep's approach and never deal with Raiola's clients. Not worth the hassle.

Andresito

Staff member
I dont see how Juve can win the CL when they still have a relatively weak midfield.

anyway, I'm glad we didnt get de Ligt. Look what Raiola is doing to Pogba now with United. He'll 100% do the same if de Ligt had joined Barca. We should just take Pep's approach and never deal with Raiola's clients. Not worth the hassle.

Liverpool won with an even weaker midfield.

Newcomer

cause they have Klopp. Sarri is good, but he isnt as good as Klopp is.

The truth is you can never really know what will happen in the CL. Except for obvious mismatch like Schalke-City for example, nothing is a given in the knock out phase. It is always a fine margin between squad potential, form on the day, luck, refereeing (+VAR), momentum.

Liverpool was not that much of a juggernaut. They barely scrapped through the group stage with 3 defeats. Napoli missed a golden opportunity to qualify at Anfield despite being utterly dominated too.
Liverpool was a good side but we all know City is better than them. And the same City lost to Tottenham.

There is simply no rule in CL. And this is why we are witnessing so many comebacks lately.

Zidane82

Liverpool won with an even weaker midfield.
Liverpool’s midfield pizzed over ours last season . Rakitic wouldn’t make their feking squad !!

Fabinho, Keita , Wijnaldum plus four England players Lallana Henderson , Milner , AlexOx Chamberlain ..

Don’t even get me started on their front three..

malvolio

Liverpool’s midfield pizzed over ours last season . Rakitic wouldn’t make their feking squad !!

Fabinho, Keita , Wijnaldum plus four England players Lallana Henderson , Milner , AlexOx Chamberlain ..

Don’t even get me started on their front three..

Yeah, that midfield is full of mediocre overachievers. Klopp and the system they play in makes them look like world beaters.
Front three is better, on par with what other elite teams have. Although even here it could be argued they lack a certain glamour, an undisputed worldclass finisher. But since they gelled so well together it doesn't matter.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
No.
It is because Juve is ambitious. They took CR7, they got better deals with Adidas and other sponsors. Now, with this money, they want to make a push for CL while the portuguese is still physically strong.

They also profit from the new tax laws which will allow italian clubs to be very competitive on salary.

The objective of Juventus is not to sell him. But if they have to, they know they'll prolly get back their investment and some more.

All true except longterm my earlier point remains relevant, a starting point like this leaves the player nowhere to go without major drama in terms of his career path. To leave, he'd not only have to have a buying club pay more than the fee Juve pay but better an already unmatchable level of wages. Buyout of 150M won't be the hurdle since it's no guarantee anyone would pay that much for a defender but who would pay those wages, even in a few seasons? He's terrific but he his options would be limited to very few clubs and the wage structure of any of these same clubs is unlikely to accommodate that sort of imbalance to the squad. Player would have to take a massive wage cut. It's such an unlikely scenario, I struggle to comprehend how it can play out other than staying at Juventus. But even Juventus, there's no way they will continue to maintain an imbalanced squad like that longterm - I don't see that either

I also suspect Raiola will assure the player he will get his desires fulfilled the next time he ponders a club transfer since he gets him a great deal now and I'm not sure why the player would doubt him

It does, at worst, shift the balance of football...again. Because now, coupled with the wage bill Barcelona look to be considering it blows the game wide open. Crazy has returned

Home of Barca Fans