Matthijs de Ligt

Messi983

img_rbravo_20171111-000958_imagenes_md_otras_fuentes_no_archivables_md11.jpg

MD claims we made an offer for De Ligt and hope to tie up a transfer in January for the Summer.

I'm reading that Ajax doesn't want to sell in January after they've already sold Davinson last summer so they don't need money. If Mina will also come only next summer as it was reported then Vermaelen will probably stay as 4th CB and we'll have to hope he'll be healthy when we'll need him. But we all know he won't be. Maybe Fali or Martinez could step up. :lol:

Also, I was thinking if we are maybe targeting De Ligt because he could also play as DM when Busquets will be rested to get him more playing time. Otherwise I don''t see how we could give all four CBs (Pique, Umtiti, Mina, De Ligt) enough minutes to keep them happy and develop (and also adapt them to Barça in Mina and De Ligt's case) the younger three. Ok, Umtiti and Mina are already at age where I don't expect them to improve drastically (they'll still want to play though) but De Ligt at his age needs to play as much as possible to reach his full potential. If we don't have a clear plan to manage and develop him then it would be probably smarter to buy someone more established (not talking about Vermaelen's or Mathieu's here but a CB around age 23-26) whose ceilling might not be as high as De Ligt's but who we won't need to develop and could give us what's expected of him.

Another option would be to buy De Ligt (whether in January or next summer) and loan him back to Ajax for 2018-19 season (we could possiblly also lower his price for a few millions in that case) and keep Masche for another season while bringing Mina to replace Vermaelen.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Is he right-footed?

We don't really need a CB now but if Mascherano is leaving next summer then place will open up.

Riordon

Who do you rate between him and Dayot Upamecano? I think we should get one of them, but its going to be quite hard to keep Pique, Umtiti, Mina and De Ligt/Upamencano happy at the same time.

In my eyes De Ligt is better with the ball while Upamencano is the better overall defender.

Its was easy having four CB's under Lucho as Mathieu was garbage and Vermaelen always injured.

That being said, from what I have seen of De Ligt he would instantly adapt to the team and the Pique role quite well. About Pique I think he will retire quite early, he has earlier talked about lacking motivation.

Mina for 9 millions is a steal, apparently a lot of clubs are willing to pay 20+ millions.

Last edited:

xXKonan

De Ligt's agent rules out a move in the winter but it seems like he's interested in a move next summer.

I would guess we will try and strike a pre-deal in January and get it all sorted out so come July 1st he will be in Barca.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Would rather not get Mina at all. De Ligt is an awesome talent with a perfect skillset to pair with Umtiti and play in Pique's role eventually. If we are to undermine/disrespect Marlon as any CB transfer would be doing, I'd rather it be De Ligt than Mina.

Mina isn't sure to be the right profile of CB and there's no point in going for another unproven South American prospect when we already did that with Marlon and he proved to be a very good fit, Yerry is redundant. I'd get De Ligt to groom him for Pique's role and bring back Marlon to take up Masche's spot as 3rd CB as he's fully capable of doing.

Nothanks

Would rather not get Mina at all. De Ligt is an awesome talent with a perfect skillset to pair with Umtiti and play in Pique's role eventually. If we are to undermine/disrespect Marlon as any CB transfer would be doing, I'd rather it be De Ligt than Mina.

Mina isn't sure to be the right profile of CB and there's no point in going for another unproven South American prospect when we already did that with Marlon and he proved to be a very good fit, Yerry is redundant. I'd get De Ligt to groom him for Pique's role and bring back Marlon to take up Masche's spot as 3rd CB as he's fully capable of doing.

we paid peanutes for mina, and marlon we are doing good business in getting these "unproven talents" because they show great potential, do they always work? no but regardless we are doing the right thing.
de Ligt for all we know can be a flop.. putting all our marbles in one player isn't too smart.

Messi983

Who do you rate between him and Dayot Upamecano? I think we should get one of them, but its going to be quite hard to keep Pique, Umtiti, Mina and De Ligt/Upamencano happy at the same time.

Didn't watch Upamecano enough to fairly compare between them but I think we have much better chances to get De Ligt. IIRC Upamecano has a release clause around 100M€ and he's under contract until 2021 so I don't believe RBL will consider selling him before 2020. And of course there is no way we should pay 100M (or even 70-80M if they'd be willing to sell for that) for a CB.

On the other hand Ajax is a selling club and while our connections with them are not as strong as they were I think they'll still sell for a fair price, probably somewhere in the Davinson Sanchez price range. Now if we should really pay 40-50M for a CB when we already have a talented CB (Marlon) on loan, another good one coming for a cheap (Mina) and some good talent (Cuenca, Bueno) in B team as well and at the same time we have other needs (especially midfield) is another question. But if they truly believe De Ligt can become Pique's replacement and future Umtiti's CB partner then I have no problem paying for him.

khaled_a_d

Theoretically you are right, but I think it is just a case of the management really rating Mina way higher than Marlon. He also has been much better in Brazilian league than Marlon.
I didn't watch him, but from highlights he seem to have all the needed raw tools to be one of the world best in the position, this combination of speed,length,strength & athleticism is just rare. but obviously those doesn't always translate

Trickykid

Haven't seen anything either, and there's really no indication that a move is feasible before summer either.
There's no doubt that that bald bastard from the Manchester Oil club is out sniffing already, so we'd better be all over this deal ASAP.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Don't think we have scouts in Netherlands. Missed out so many good players from Ajax in recent years.

Home of Barca Fans