Matthijs de Ligt

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
It seems to me that the clients of Raiola always pick the money when they transfer. Maybe it's not the best approach careerwise.

I think he said in an interview lately that Juve were the one top team that made the most effort to sign him. Man Utd were always late to the party and we seemed to focus on Griezmann.

Raiola def thought about double dipping by moving him to Juve and making the big move later, but learning the Italian "Dark Arts" of Defending is a good experience for him.

He'll leave Juventus this or next summer.

DonAK

Might join Real Madrid to replace Sergio Ramos next summer unless we make a move for him.

serghei

I think he said in an interview lately that Juve were the one top team that made the most effort to sign him. Man Utd were always late to the party and we seemed to focus on Griezmann.

Raiola def thought about double dipping by moving him to Juve and making the big move later, but learning the Italian "Dark Arts" of Defending is a good experience for him.

Unfortunately, this could also be seen as money-related. Raiola and he probably had a strategy to start an auction, and bank in on the success of De Ligt. When other teams failed to meet their financial demands, they probably interpreted it as "not trying that hard to convince him".

I'm worried he and Haaland will pull the same trick and make it an open auction.

Richard.H

He has not looked that impressive to me for Juve. I definitely think we got the better young Dutchie. Maybe he's just a bad fit but looks like an average CB to me.

DonAK

He has not looked that impressive to me for Juve. I definitely think we got the better young Dutchie. Maybe he's just a bad fit but looks like an average CB to me.

I wish we got both because Griezmann has been a waste of time and resources so far.

serghei

He's a top CB, but seemed strange to me to move from Ajax style, to a totally different type of team. City, Barca, these would be moves according to his strengths and qualities.

I don't really associate Juventus with skilled, technical defenders who are good in build-up.

khaled_a_d

No way, Juve are too big to allow their top young players to go during a rebuild.

Only way he goes is if they have a record offer for him.

It seems to me that the clients of Raiola always pick the money when they transfer. Maybe it's not the best approach careerwise. De Ligt had better options than Juve I think.

Railoa once said that he creates an auction for his player, and then let his players know the best offers and let them pick it.
That makes it difficult for players to turn down a bigger offer financially.

serghei

No way, Juve are too big to allow their top young players to go during a rebuild.

Railoa once said that he creates an auction for his player, and then let his players know the best offers and let them pick it.
That makes it difficult for players to turn down a bigger offer financially.

Yea, it figures. I doubt Raiola is not doing anything to ensure he gets a fatter commission for what it's worth.

Windhook

Raiola is a great agent, I don't like his persona, clubs I guess dislike him, too, but he always secures the best deal for his clients. Also I don't remember reading a story of any client leaving him. Could be, though.

DonAK

I think it depends on where Juve stand in 2022. If they're nowhere close to being a top Champions League contender anytime soon by then I could see MDL getting impatient. Strikes me as a demanding and very ambitious guy like Frenkie who wouldn't necessarily be around for a long rebuild. Especially at a place like Juventus which isn't as glamorous as other teams, even if they are a quote on quote big team.

He might not take a contract extension/renewal and their financial situation might force them to cash in.

Marshall D Teach

Raiola is a great agent, I don't like his persona, clubs I guess dislike him, too, but he always secures the best deal for his clients. Also I don't remember reading a story of any client leaving him. Could be, though.

Mendes is better for his clients. Raiola really likes to fill his own pockets with commission fees etc.

gregorrin10

His spell at Juve has been a real disaster

That's because he's a ball playing CB, lacks some pace, but still a technical player. His team playing attacking football, keeping the ball is his game. To be a successful CB in Italy though, you have to be a lot more traditional, defending comes first, even if you hoof the ball up the field after. Like Chiellini and Bonucci are. The closest to having the qualifications to be a successful Serie A defender while playing in Spain I'd say is actually playing at Atletico. Where it's DEFENDING, DEFENDING, DEFENDING, and a CB is rated by how long he can stay focused in the back line, while getting attacked by his opponents the majority of the time.

It's a shame really. If only he would've came to Barca alongside De Jong, they both would've fit seamlessly and would be starters by now, and we wouldn't be hurting as much by Pique getting injured, like we are now.

Last edited:

Windhook

Mendes is better for his clients. Raiola really likes to fill his own pockets with commission fees etc.

That's because Man Utd thought Pogba was their messiah and there was that huge pressure on them to sign the Frenchman. Raiola took advantage of the situation.

Mendes has more players on his agency, of course and he is not that greedy. But most of his players, especially those who arrived at Barcelona were not the quality we needed.

Home of Barca Fans