Matthijs de Ligt

Zidane82

Big boys! You think we still don't need De Ligt after seeing Umtiti and Todibo last night?

Haha. I'm glad you guys know your football... :'D

Todibo has impressed me each time I’ve seen him

Before tonights game I watched De Ligt again .... I was so disappointed when we missed out on him but I’m thinking he should have stayed at Ajax another year or two ..

Apart from being caught out of position ( ala Roberto) he’s also got this terrible habit of turning his back to block a shot ..did it three times tonight ... third time they scored .

The second goal was totally his fault.. ball over his head into the space ... boom .. goal .

He’s been to blame for goals in just about every game he’s played for Juve so far

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Todibo has impressed me each time I’ve seen him

Before tonights game I watched De Ligt again .... I was so disappointed when we missed out on him but I’m thinking he should have stayed at Ajax another year or two ..

Apart from being caught out of position ( ala Roberto) he’s also got this terrible habit of turning his back to block a shot ..did it three times tonight ... third time they scored .

The second goal was totally his fault.. ball over his head into the space ... boom .. goal .

He’s been to blame for goals in just about every game he’s played for Juve so far

I think you are wearing tinted glasses here, probably taking great schadenfreude in seeing him failing and trying to pick out something wrong in everything he does. I don't think he could have done anything to stop the second goal today. Juventus was playing a relatively high line and they were caught, with Joao Felix being so fast. He did see the ball coming and trying to run but was beaten by Felix. Not many CBs could have done anything differently there, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Zidane82

I think you are wearing tinted glasses here, probably taking great schadenfreude in seeing him failing and trying to pick out something wrong in everything he does. I don't think he could have done anything to stop the second goal today. Juventus was playing a relatively high line and they were caught, with Joao Felix being so fast. He did see the ball coming and trying to run but was beaten by Felix. Not many CBs could have done anything differently there, in my opinion.
Fair enough ...RioF and Jamie Carragher both say that CBs should never be caught out by a straight ball over the top ..

AjaxAmsterdam

He had a bad pre-season and when I say bad i mean really terrible.

Still very far from a finished product but undoubtedly a great talent , the question will be how much of that potential will he reach. He is in no way written off or anything but its gonna a slow introduction and not what he had hoped for.

Ajax misses him but not nearly as much as we miss Frenkie who obviously is much further in his progression plus defined our playing style.

EdmondDantes

Chiellini and Bonucci played.
Rabiot was benched also, but entered in the 63 minute as a CM.

De Ligt didn't get any minutes.

The problem is, once Sarri settles on his 11 -it's like a near death sentence for those not in it.

Matthijs is 'lucky' he's got his reputation/talent/price tage so I presume he'll get some leeway but you never know with that old man.

Andrew M

He isn't the most gifted athletically, but possesses great leadership qualities. Given his age and market inflation I think he'll prove a good signing long term.

EdmondDantes

He isn't the most gifted athletically, but possesses great leadership qualities. Given his age and market inflation I think he'll prove a good signing long term.

Since you brought up his athleticism, is it me or is he looking a bit hefty, as in overweight? I mean, he's always had those chubby cheeks but he may have gained more - unnecessary - muscle in comparison to last season or something.

Home of Barca Fans