Matthijs de Ligt

AjaxAmsterdam

This is mostly true but why are you so invested in this? Why would an Ajax fan care how ungrateful and bitter Barcelona fans are towards their players? And by extension, as a De Ligt fan, it seems that it's best that he chose Juve over Barca since our fans are overly entitled and wouldn't appreciate him. So what't really the problem?

Did you think that when you watched 15 yo De Jong that he'll become one of the best CM in the world and one of the standouts of a CL semi finalist as soon as 21yo? Or that he'll be one of Barca's record signings at merely 22 years of age? Don't lie. :)

First of all, they play different positions on the field and comparing talents this way is faulty at best. For us, De Jong was a much more needed addition than De Ligt and therefore the much bigger prospect. Secondly, a DM/CM is more important than a defender. This has always been the case and will forever be. Why do you think the goats of this sport are all forwards or attacking midfielders? As you advance along the pitch, the position becomes more and more important to a team. Even an outlier like Beckenbauer is barely mentioned as top 10 player of all time. De Ligt could become as good as Baresi for all I care, I would always choose a Modric or Schweinsteiger over him 10 time out of 10, even if in terms of all time status for their respective positions, Baresi is among the greatest while Modric/Schweini are in the second or third tier of CMs. Not even mentioning goat midfielders like Xavi, Rijkard, Iniesta or Matthaus. Of course, this is all assuming that they all stay with us for the same period of time.

I would also like to mention that Xavi at the age of De Jong was good but was never destined to become one of the greatest so how they look at this age has little relevance for how they'll be at 25 or 30. Not saying De Jong will be as good as Xavi, or hell he might not even become as good as Busquets(imo he'll surpass him for sure), but even 70% of Xavi is still better than most of the defenders today and probably even more important to a team than peak De Ligt.

Reason im invested in this is de Jong is my favorite player, and I project as soon as he plays 1 bad game or makes 1 mistake (which he is prone to do since he plays with a lot of risk) all this positive de Jong energy will turn negative.

I agree though different players follow different projections, disagree on the CM/DM part, there was a reason a crappy liverpool defense who was leaking goals turned into a fort( and this happened before allison joined), a leader in the back is worth its weight in gold, although with Barca's needs you probably have that already covered in Pique which is the exact reason why de Jong is more important for the Dutch NT.

My point of who was the bigger talent, was just made to illustrate hoping that de ligt fails probably will be futile.

Ow and about de Jong at young age , he was really good sligtly behind Nouri in what everyone expected to be 2 great CAMs , however de Jong started gaining on him in potential cus he went through a physical transformation (he used to be very sleight and not that quick now hes suprisingly quick).

Last edited:

vlad

Money was definitely the reason he choose juve. But it's cool

Money is always the reason, with every player.

Barca gives best salaries in todays football, do you honestly think players pick barca because history or something, and they are willing to take pay cut just to come here, yeah right.

Sorin

Reason im invested in this is de Jong is my favorite player, and I project as soon as he plays 1 bad game or makes 1 mistake (which he is prone to do since he plays with a lot of risk) all this positive de Jong energy will turn negative.

True but you have to understand the expectation of clubs like us. We pay top wages, top fees and agent commissions for every player, therefore the expectations are also top. It's just the way it is. Is it fair that the player is expected to be perfect 24/7? No, of course not but the player should know what to expect when he comes here. On the other hand, if he succeeds and becomes a legend, he'll be treated like a god by both fans and the club. This also takes me back to your statement of Barca fans fans being the most entitled fans around. Are we the ones turning our backs on a club legend like Casilias? Are we the ones booing a CL match winners like CRonaldo and Bale? Or Zidane a while back? No way, just look at how our legends like Ronaldinho, Xavi, Iniesta, Puyol have been treated by our fans and the festivities organized for them when they've departed. Hell even lesser legends like Mascherano received a better farewell than what RM players had to endure.

Another point, even if you see that some fans are ungrateful to Messi they are probably just 1% of Barca fans around the world. Everyone else treats Messi like a deity and you know it.

I agree though different players follow different projections, disagree on the CM/DM part, there was a reason a crappy liverpool defense who was leaking goals turned into a fort( and this happened before allison joined), a leader in the back is worth its weight in gold, although with Barca's needs you probably have that already covered in Pique which is the exact reason why de Jong is more important for the Dutch NT.

Of course that adding a true leader and great player like Van Dijk is going to make any team's defence more solid. But so does a world class midfielder. Put De Jong instead of Rakitic last year and we win the CL with Lenglet and Bob as defenders. We didn't need a De Ligt or Van Dijk, we needed someone that can hold the ball and escape the pressure in the middle of the park. Also a better manager but that is a discussion for another time.

Also, please consider that De Ligt has to play a few more years until he reaches VVD's current level. He's not going to add the instant impact that VVD had with Liverpool straight away regardless of his leadership. His footballing qualities are not at that level yet.

My point of who was the bigger talent, was just made to illustrate hoping that de ligt fails probably will be futile.

Yeah, I agree. It's delusional to think that a player like him will fail. The only thing he can fail is reach the level of the absolute goats like Baresi, Scirea, Maldini but he'll be one of the very best of the generation without a doubt.

Zidane82

Hello clueless poster.

De Ligt had one training session with Juve before the match, Tottenham started their preseason before Juve and De Ligt, so they are not even near to be matchfit.

Assuming from your post, you have never played football before. So I can tell you that being matchfit is extremely important.

Have a good day clueless poster.

Have they let you out of school early or something ?

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Dont bother with barca fans , they didnt get de Ligt so now they are trying to convince themselves that hes crap or that he chose money , (same thing Psg fans do with de Jong now)

Fact is neither chose money , de Jong immediately decided Barca was the right choice AFTER barca finally decided to show genuine interest and came with a plan for him. De Ligt same thing with Juve he saw more opportunities short term and they showed they really wanted him.

On a side not barca fans are prly the most over entitled fans in the whole world, they even shit on messi for having friends in the team LOL (cant imagine the goat playing for my lil team ajax i would be so GRATEFUL) plus any player who isnt a huge fan of the club, and isnt willing to throw all other offers aside, are all pieces of shit right

Anyone who watched Ajax knows de Ligt is the superior talents between him and de Jong and has been since age 12.

I have watched tons of youth games of the dutch NT, and frenkie was already a big talent at 15 however havnt seen a de Ligt in my 20 years watching, only person who comes close to him was clarence seedorf at 16 (obvious totally different players but in the sense of the skillgap between him and the rest of players on the field).

Of course money was the decisive factor. De Jong likes us a lot but he didn’t commit and almost signed with PSG until we came up with an offer that he liked. The same with De Ligt, otherwise why did it take him such a long time to make up his mind? It was not like Juventus presented their plan to him last minute. De Ligt knew what each club wanted to do with him since they approached him. The reason why he chose Juventus was because they offered him the most money and from a playing time-wise they would guarantee him minutes more so than the others, plus other factors (playing CL etc.).

Last but not the least, do you think Juventus didn’t pay Raiola the cut/commission he wanted?

Laplacian

He kinda bottled it against Spurs in the CL and his pre-season hasn't been good so far, granted he's barely trained with the team. I'm just saying, after all the hype and the transfer saga it'd be kinda funny if his streak of fails carried on for the entire season. :lol:

Zidane82

De Ligt had one training session with Juve before the match, Tottenham started their preseason before Juve and De Ligt, so they are not even near to be matchfit.

Assuming from your post, you have never played football before. So I can tell you that being matchfit is extremely important.

He’s as matchfit as everyone else or do you think that only the Ajax players took a break :)

He’s settled in real quick , a poachers goal in his first start for Juve —shame he booted it into his own goal though ..

Zidane82

One thing is very noticeable already and that his choice of pass out of defence isn’t that good at all .. why .. because he’s spent two years having FDJ coming to collect the ball off him and always being available. The Juve midfielders don’t seem too happy with him at times ..

Home of Barca Fans