Matthijs de Ligt

abbbs97

Juventus parted ways with Marrotta because they wanted to do this kind of deals. Marrotta was the man of the cheap/smart deals. Paratici is the guy with the more ambitious deal like Cristiano Ronaldo.

So far, Cristiano Ronaldo at Juventus is a success in the marketing/business/brand side of football.

If Juve wants de Ligt, they have to pay. It is as simple as that. And they want him, so they'll pay.
Chiellini doesn't have a lot of years left in football anyway.

I know that but I feel like it is disrespectful that a legend like Chiellini gets paid less than a brand new 19 yr old. I get that de Ligt is a generational talent, but I feel like players like Chiellini would get angry that a teenager would get paid higher than him. This will create a sort of ripple effect with Juve in which all new players will demand high wages like de Ligt.
14m net for a 19 yr old is crazy no matter how you look at it.

Zidane82

I think De Ligt will come to us .

Everything I’ve heard and read about him suggests that he’s not ruled by money ..

Sorin

If he's getting the 12m net + bonuses as reported, imagine his salary in 2 or 3 years when Raiola and De Ligt will ask for the inevitabile renewal. He'll be on close to 20m net as a fucking defender. As a Barcelona fan, no thanks.

Devils

I think De Ligt will come to us .

Everything I’ve heard and read about him suggests that he’s not ruled by money ..

lol that only works if our offer was competitive with the others on the the table, dawg.

If the reports are true, Juve and PSG are offering nearly DOUBLE what Barca is offering !!

Newcomer

If he's getting the 12m net + bonuses as reported, imagine his salary in 2 or 3 years when Raiola and De Ligt will ask for the inevitabile renewal. He'll be on close to 20m net as a fucking defender. As a Barcelona fan, no thanks.

That is not a given.

He gets those wages because of the competition.

When he will renegociate, Juve or his future team will have to give him wages competitive with the other best offer he could get elsewhere. If no one offers him 20 M net, Juve or Barça won't have to offer that much. And i doubt a CB will be able to ask so much more in the future (unless it has become the standard). Offensive players always net more money than defenders.

Dembélé has a big salary and is young too. I doubt you are worrying abut his renewal.

Sorin

That is not a given.

He gets those wages because of the competition.

When he will renegociate, Juve or his future team will have to give him wages competitive with the other best offer he could get elsewhere. If no one offers him 20 M net, Juve or Barça won't have to offer that much. And i doubt a CB will be able to ask so much more in the future (unless it has become the standard). Offensive players always net more money than defenders.

Dembélé has a big salary and is young too. I doubt you are worrying abut his renewal.

If he performs to his potential you can be sure as hell that Raiola will milk the club dry or else he'll look to shop out De Ligt. It's like you don't know Raiola.

With Dembele, he has not performed to his potential, whether due to him, the manager, whatever, so good luck to him trying to renegotiate a much better contract.

Secondly I don't have a problem with performing forwards getting the big bucks because they are the difference makers in this game while the defenders are not as important. If Dembele would have performed like we all expected him to do then nobody would mind him getting 20 net. De Ligt? yeah, no.

Newcomer

If he performs to his potential you can be sure as hell that Raiola will milk the club dry or else he'll look to shop out De Ligt. It's like you don't know Raiola.

With Dembele, he has not performed to his potential, whether due to him, the manager, whatever, so good luck to him trying to renegotiate a much better contract.

Secondly I don't have a problem with performing forwards getting the big bucks because they are the difference makers in this game while the defenders are not as important. If Dembele would have performed like we all expected him to do then nobody would mind him getting 20 net. De Ligt? yeah, no.

Yeah, this is what i said. When he will renew, the team that will get him will need a competitive wage offer compared to the other offers. Juve offered that much because PSG made him a good offer. If no one offers him 20 M, he can shop him around but he won't get that money. If someone offers him 20 M, you can't say anything but pay if you want him. It is how it works with offers and demands.

Sorin

Yeah, this is what i said. When he will renew, the team that will get him will need a competitive wage offer compared to the other offers. Juve offered that much because PSG made him a good offer. If no one offers him 20 M, he can shop him around but he won't get that money. If someone offers him 20 M, you can't say anything but pay if you want him. It is how it works with offers and demands.

Yeah and I'm saying that I believe that there will be clubs willing to offer him a few millions more or Juve will not mind paying him those money if he agrees to a new long term, full proof contract and fair enough. I know how demand and supply works, you don't need to explain it to me, thank you. I'm also saying that I wouldn't want Barcelona to be in that position to have to renegotiate a contract that will possibly have him paid even more. Hell, I wouldn't want Barcelona to pay him this much for a hypothetical new contract in 2 or 3 years, nevermind now.

Basically, I don't care if there is demand for him, I simply don't want Barcelona to be in the middle of a big money war for a goddamn defender. Not now, not in the future.

For example, I wouldn't mind it if it were a war for Mbappe.

Last edited:

xXKonan

Bidding wars+High wages are worth it for certain types of players.

FDJ it was worth it but De Ligt? not really IMO. There are players out there that you feel are worth bidding such as players like Mbappe, a young Neymar, etc. But when it comes to CBs I'm not sure of that. In this day in age where the quality of CBs are getting better and better I think missing out on De Ligt won't be as devastating as missing out on someone like De Jong, Mbappes of the world.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
COPE says we are firm with our offer and will not increase it. Good to hear. Let him go to Juventus.

I was pleasantly surprised that a forumite mentioned Todibo and Konate share the same agent/agency the other day. Let's make sure we do the right things for Todibo, for both his and our benefit (perhaps he will help us land Konate).

Sorin

[MENTION=20446]Sorin[/MENTION] Attackers most important in a team? lol.

Yeah, you have a problem with it argue with every club that has paid world records in transfer fees and wages for the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar, Griezmann, Mbappe, Hazard etc. and not for defenders.

It's a fact that forwards or CAM/CM are more important than defenders. This is not to say that you could get by with some random defenders from segunda because you obviously can't, but you could surely do better with a combination of a world class forward line with a slightly worse defence than vice versa. Ideally you'd have both and that's why I still want De Ligt but if it comes to paying him those huge wages I'd rather us spend it on mids and forwards.

I said it once and I'll say it again. We won several Champions Leagues with the likes of Nando, Juan Carlos, Oleguer, Belleti, Sylvinho or Yaya Toure as starting defenders. Not one of them was a top 10 defender in the world and yet they weren't such a big hindrance in us winning. You know what was the common trait between those teams? World class forward and midfield lines with some out of this world attacking talents.

Look, I want to have both a world class defence and a world class attack and thus I would really want Barcelona to buy De Ligt but certainly not at any cost, and certainly not at the cost of us not being able to consolidate in other areas.

Last edited:

Zidane82

Why are so many absolutely convinced that he will sign for Juve when the ONLY thing the player has actually said is that he would make his decision AFTER he’s had a holiday?!

Seemed quite a reasonable stance for him to take tbh

Andrew M

Yeah, you have a problem with it argue with every club that has paid world records in transfer fees and wages for the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar, Griezmann, Mbappe, Hazard etc. and not for defenders.

It's a fact that forwards or CAM/CM are more important than defenders. This is not to say that you could get by with some random defenders from segunda because you obviously can't, but you could surely do better with a combination of a world class forward line with a slightly worse defence than vice versa. Ideally you'd have both and that's why I still want De Ligt but if it comes to paying him those huge wages I'd rather us spend it on mids and forwards.

I said it once and I'll say it again. We won several Champions Leagues with the likes of Nando, Juan Carlos, Oleguer, Belleti, Sylvinho or Yaya Toure as starting defenders. Not one of them was a top 10 defender in the world and yet they weren't such a big hindrance in us winning. You know what was the common trait between those teams? World class forward and midfield lines with some out of this world attacking talents.

Look, I want to have both a world class defence and a world class attack and thus I would really want Barcelona to buy De Ligt but certainly not at any cost, and certainly not at the cost of us not being able to consolidate in other areas.

I agree with this. Ultimately it is harder to score a goal than stop a goal in a match context. If you did a training exercise of attack versus defence, attack would always win.

Home of Barca Fans