Mateu Morey

Vilarrubi

Stop joking, i am serious.

It is obvious that Barto and the board don't count on La Masia anymore. I will judge them on that, but why don't they sign more young players then to aim for the future. Why are trying to sign old useless players.

I agree it's bad to sign useless players as you said. As for La Masia we shouldn't count on it as much as in the past. That was a once in a lifetime miracle that we had so many coming out of it at the right time. Usually academies are lucky if they get 1 player every couple of years out of it.. I get ours is different to normal clubs and it's more important to the club but personally I'd do everything to get Verratti and improve our first team right now.

JamDav1982

Stop joking, i am serious.

It is obvious that Barto and the board don't count on La Masia anymore. I will judge them on that, but why don't they sign more young players then to aim for the future. Why are trying to sign old useless players.

La Masia is counted on and even Lucho who had can be pointed through to having his faults was chosen very much as seen as someone who would take young players through as has Valverde been.

The biggest issue is the quality required compared to one off generations in the past. Due to a number of reasons.

Icarium

Lifestealer
How exactly aren't we planning for the future, if I may ask?

Not trusting La Masia players and also not signing talented young players. All other clubs are doing it. Madrid are definitely doing it, each transfer window it gets harder to sign good players because of inflating cost. So investing in young players is a good way to be sustainable at top level.

JamDav1982

Not trusting La Masia players and also not signing talented young players. All other clubs are doing it. Madrid are definitely doing it, each transfer window it gets harder to sign good players because of inflating cost. So investing in young players is a good way to be sustainable at top level.

There is trust given to La Masia players. More than at any other top club. If they are good enough or seen as good enough by manager and managers have been chosen with that speciifcally in mind.

When young players are promoted or bought and not seen as immediately good enough folk go ballistic about the state of the squad anyway.

Icarium

Lifestealer
I agree it's bad to sign useless players as you said. As for La Masia we shouldn't count on it as much as in the past. That was a once in a lifetime miracle that we had so many coming out of it at the right time. Usually academies are lucky if they get 1 player every couple of years out of it.. I get ours is different to normal clubs and it's more important to the club but personally I'd do everything to get Verratti and improve our first team right now.

If we do sign Verratti then i would agree with you, signing him is more important than investing in youth players this window. But if we don't sign him, instead of signing average players we should invest in youth players. But the board is not ready to do that. They are more willing to sign another Gomes and Arda.

La Masia is counted on and even Lucho who had can be pointed through to having his faults was chosen very much as seen as someone who would take young players through as has Valverde been.

The biggest issue is the quality required compared to one off generations in the past. Due to a number of reasons.

Yes i am not that critical about not trusting La Masia, but i definitely think it could have managed better. Players are moving not just because of money, they know they will never get a chance. Players Mathieu are Arda will get more chances than them. Quality is not there obviously, but as a squad players they should get more chances. Palencia for example. Anyway i will not tread upon it because Barca B was playing in 3rd division, it is hard for them to get minutes. The jump is too big, but if this continues under Valverde also then something is definitely wrong.

There is trust given to La Masia players. More than at any other top club. If they are good enough or seen as good enough by manager and managers have been chosen with that speciifcally in mind.

When young players are promoted or bought and not seen as immediately good enough folk go ballistic about the state of the squad anyway.

I am using Madrid as a comparison in saying we are not doing enough in that area, which is true. Do you disagree? I mean signing Douglas instead of Asensio that hurts.

Last edited:

GetIn

The future after this club does not look good at all, the least the board could do at this point is surround Messi with some actual talent in the twilight of his prime and help us go on another couple deep CL runs.

Dark times lie ahead...

JamDav1982

The future after this club does not look good at all, the least the board could do at this point is surround Messi with some actual talent in the twilight of his prime and help us go on another couple deep CL runs.

Dark times lie ahead...

The future of the club looks fine and Messi has around him some of the best players in the world.

Midfield needs addressed and a right back and Barca with a new manager with fresh ideas can easily be one of if not top in europe.

GetIn

The future of the club looks fine and Messi has around him some of the best players in the world.

Midfield needs addressed and a right back and Barca with a new manager with fresh ideas can easily be one of if not top in europe.

I have zero confidence in this board being able to sign a compent right back and world class midfielder. If we do somehow manage to get both I will eat my words and admit I was wrong.

Icarium

Lifestealer

I will be happy if we sign a good midfielder and a half decent right back. But it is not looking promise. Let's see. Summer is long.

JamDav1982

I have zero confidence in this board being able to sign a compent right back and world class midfielder. If we do somehow manage to get both I will eat my words and admit I was wrong.

Who would you want in those positions?

Right back is quite difficult as there is no player really out there that screams quality above the rest. In midfield if get likes of Paulinho ahead of someone like Verratti would totally agree but cant see that happening.

GetIn

Who would you want in those positions?

Right back is quite difficult as there is no player really out there that screams quality above the rest. In midfield if get likes of Paulinho ahead of someone like Verratti would totally agree but cant see that happening.

Verratti obviously would be first choice but I wouldn't be absolutely outraged if we ended up with Seri either. You're right that there really aren't any bonafide RB players on the market right now but someone like Pereira or Semedo would do just fine. Wouldn't mind Dembele either if we miss out on Verratti but that looks pretty unlikely as well.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
We signed Douglas, Alex Song and Vermaelen against the advice of the medical staff.

Not sure you can completely rule out Paulinho when even Scolari has said he's open to negotiating his exit if he really want to leave the Chinese money for it.

Let's be realistic here. What are our chances of signing Verratti? It depends a lot on if he doesn't turn up to training and even when PSG might just keep him against his will.

Saul? Already said he's going nowhere, especially with their transfer ban and seeing how Griezmann stayed there.

Who else can we sign? Ceballos? Going to Madrid.

Last edited:

Trickykid

Aside from Grimaldo, which La Masia players who deserved it on footballing merit wasn't trusted?

I suppose you don't really follow Barca news and rumors at all, but we're constantly linked with young players from all over the world, and have bought a few. Bueno looks interesting, as does Yerry Mina (who I suppose we're buying) and obviously Marlon who could to turn out to be a bargain. Supposedly both Gabriel Jesus and Dembele turned us down because they wanted starting XI guarantee, which is what can happen when your starting players in those positions are as strong as ours. We lost the battle for Theo Hernandez, which honestly is a 50/50 when it's Los Merengues you're facing. We obviously fucked up badly on the whole Asensio debacle, and that one is pretty inexcusable. In midfield we're desperately trying to rejuvenate the starting constellation with Verratti, who - if realistic - easily is the best, young option out there.

I've been following the club closely since around 1990, and I've experienced highs and lows and have learned to accept that we can't always be number 1. Our current board is fairly shit to put it mildly, but that doesn't mean that their every single fucking action is designed to grind our club into the ground, and your ridiculous hysteria in this regard is plain laughable

Last edited:

JamDav1982

We signed Douglas, Alex Song and Vermaelen against the advice of the medical staff.

Not sure you can completely rule out Paulinho when even Scolari has said he's open to negotiating his exit if he really want to leave the Chinese money for it.

Bad signings as every club has had. Cant see Paulinho arriving and if he does totally agree it is awful signing for what team needs.

Icarium

Lifestealer
Aside from Grimaldo, which La Masia players who deserved it on footballing merit wasn't trusted?

I suppose you don't really follow Barca news and rumors at all, but we're constantly linked with young players from all over the world, and have bought a few. Bueno looks interesting, as does Yerry Mina (who I suppose we're buying) and obviously Marlon who could to turn out to be a bargain. Supposedly both Gabriel Jesus and Dembele turned us down because they wanted starting XI guarantee, which is what can happen when your starting players in those positions are as strong as ours. We lost the battle for Theo Hernandez, which honestly is a 50/50 when it's Los Merengues you're facing. We obviously fucked up badly on the whole Asensio debacle, and that one is pretty inexcusable. In midfield we're desperately trying to rejuvenate the starting constellation with Verratti, who - if realistic - easily is the best, young option out there.

I've been following the club closely since around 1990, and I've experienced ups and lows and have learned to accept that we can't always be number 1. Our current board is fairly shit to put it mildly, but that doesn't mean that their every single fucking action is designed to grind our club into the ground, and your ridiculous hysteria in this regard is plain laughable

You only gave enough examples of our fuck ups. My question was why? Madrid is doing much better job. If you are following from 1990 then you should know the damage a bad board can do. Obviously the board is full of shit. My question about the future is, immediately after messi what will happen. Will it be the state of United after they lost Ferguson? With the kind of brand and value that was build using the best generation board is wasting it, if we do a setback now they would have failed massively. Obviously we will come back again, maybe have another era in few years.

Bad signings as every club has had. Cant see Paulinho arriving and if he does totally agree it is awful signing for what team needs.

Lets hope that he doesn't, we need a good midfielder. Valverde needs a fighting chance.

Home of Barca Fans