Ernesto Valverde - V1

Xaviniesta

I'm seeing this image all over twitter :lol:

DrZ0ZhJXgAA7KH1.jpg

Porque

This is going to sound wimbsical because I can't remember any details other than "Arsene Wenger" (and I am not even 100% sure he was the manager).

But I remember a story from the early 2000's about a player who kept getting subbed off after 60/70 minutes by his manager. Frustrated he asked the manager why he never lets him stay on but leaves other players.

The manager turmed around and pulled up some stats explaining how much his output dropped on the pitch for the last 20 minutes compared to the others. The player said he said nothing more and worked his ass to improve his conditioning.

This is from the early 2000s. I remember it being Wenger with possibly Ljungberg or Pires.

The point is with data (and this is the big data era) Valverde can explain and give reason to earlier subs for certain players and rotations. There is no excuse for not having a more economical approach to squad management, and I cant imagine a team like Barcelona not having someone within the coaching team who is focused on crunching the performance numbers- so that we can intelligently peak and rotate.

Valverde is on a good run now and is slowly showing signs of change, Arthur has instantly adapted and Malcom gave a cameo that showed that there are no excuses to not have a start before. But these moves should have already been by design and structure.

Last edited:

raskolnikov

What some other user recently saud is true. His subs seem predetermined.
Coutinho/Dembele/Arthur always get subbed while Suarez/Busi/Rakitic/Messi play ever match 90 minutes. This shows he favours or cant sub the senior players which makes that he sometimes doesnt do what is needed for the natch. Against Rayo both Rakitic and Busquets were terrible but he subbed Arthur anyway.
His rotations/subs/developing players all have been terrible thus far unfortunately.

vlad

The real test comes in KO stages of CL. How will we react and respond when against the ropes.

His development aspect of coaching is terrible. Semedo, Dembele, Paco, Malcom... he has a way of alienating his players and crushing souls. It's annoying.

The only player I could truly see him trying with was Gomes. That one I give him credit for.

About paco, he was called a flop from most of zhe fans here, i wouldnt blame valverde on this one, its really hard to succed in barca, paco just didnt have it, now he is destroying in dortmund because there he isnt feeling any pressure like in barca where its not enough to be great player but also its about mentality

serghei

About paco, he was called a flop from most of zhe fans here, i wouldnt blame valverde on this one, its really hard to succed in barca, paco just didnt have it, now he is destroying in dortmund because there he isnt feeling any pressure like in barca where its not enough to be great player but also its about mentality

Paco couldn't have possibly made it here, and he was too good of a player to be a bench option. MSN were almost never rotated. There was never any clear idea of an attacking trio involving Paco. MSN played whenever they were available almost.

Last edited:

jairzinho

Any decision to keep him on board/extend should be influenced partly by us winning the CL. That is an absolute must.

Home of Barca Fans