Ernesto Valverde - V1

George_Costanza

With Rijkaard in 2006 in CL, we kind of played like we do today with Valverde. I remember a tie with Milan in 2006 which was very much in the vein of what we're seeing here. Cagey games both home and away, in which we suffered and went through with some luck and off some moments of inspiration.

No way this team compared to the entertaining team of 2006! That team played with some pattern in the build-up which doesn't exist with EV's Barca. That football was enjoyable to watch.

serghei

No way this team compared to the entertaining team of 2006! That team played with some pattern in the build-up which doesn't exist with EV's Barca. That football was enjoyable to watch.

Was a bit more enjoyable, but not because of tactics. That team had peak Ronaldinho, and peak Eto'o. Two very explosive players who put on a marvelous show very often. Plus Messi for a while, plus Xavi, Deco and Iniesta. Tactics weren't very different than today in my opinion.

vinni

Lack of system in the current team is concerning.

Looks to me like we got two systems.

One system with a highish press where we try to force a goal.

The other system is usally applied when we got a lead. We will sit a bit deeper and wont do anything to take the ball. When we do get the ball its directly sent to messi, dembele or suarez and we run at goal.

We got a few other systems too. A medium version of the first system where we dont seem to bothered about forcing the goal, but posession is key. Sometimes we also do something else like the last match against real betis.

I dont have a good eye for systems so maybe someone else can elaborate more on our system and tactics.

Last edited:

serghei

Looks to me like we got two systems.

One system with a highish press where we try to force a goal.

The other system is usally applied when we got a lead. We will sit a bit deeper and wont do anything to take the ball. When we do get the ball its directly sent to messi, dembele or suarez and we run at goal.

We got a few other systems too. A medium version of the first system where we dont seem to bothered about forcing the goal, but posession is key. Sometimes we also do something else like the last match against real betis.

I dont have a good eye for systems so maybe someone else can elaborate more on our system and tactics.

The goal here is to get very flexible, switching between different approaches, often during the same match. We are basically applying the same way of approaching the game as Real Madrid, while still maintaining some of our style.

We are a more possession dominant, less deadly on transitions and less reliant on crosses Real Madrid type.

The big challenge will be creating chances against defensively solid teams once we are in a position to chase a game. We will be in that position at some point, and when that happens our issues in build-up against compact teams will be very problematic. We simply don't create enough chances with the amount of possession we have at times.

Zidane82

they played norway, easy now
Spain fielded about 7 second choice players

We’ve played quite a few easy teams yet still looked as dull as dishwater ..
Plus pretty sure we hit the one of the lowest % possession stats in our history quite recently..

EdmondDantes

img_emuntanola_20190327-112034_imagenes_md_otras_fuentes_audi_fcb_2019_25-kWdH--980x554@MundoDeportivo-Web.jpg

The boss picked an electric. I don't know much about cars, what are electric Audis like? Wise choice or not?

clemente

Watching City right now and our "system" is so outdated, we would lose the final 5-0 unless they choke, how in the world did this guy land another year contract for himself, what a waste of squad.

El Gato

Villarato!
Watching City right now and our "system" is so outdated, we would lose the final 5-0 unless they choke, how in the world did this guy land another year contract for himself, what a waste of squad.

'Unless they choke' is a pretty big factor in the equation.

Barcilliant

Let us first get past Utd. With Valverde even that would be a monumental task.

Home of Barca Fans