Ernesto Valverde - V1

Hamzah

High Definition Member
There's no obvious candidate out there that is available that can develop young players, have a system that is the familiar barca style, be able to deal with big players and get rid of them/get them to play less, be able to manage in big European games and outwit other managers.

Even if there was, the board wouldn't hire him because they don't recognise the rebuild that needs to take place sooner than later, they prefer to carry on with the complacent senior players who come up short in Europe.

Last edited:
How do you know they wont be a success here though? We will not be able to get world class managers like Pep, Poch and Klopp. Its not going to happen, not this year. So we might as well go with the second best options which is to get a manager who has the potential to do great here which for me is Setien. We might not win the CL but at least we'll be playing much better football than with EV and wont get to see the same old and slow midfield of Rakitic-Busquets-Vidal with Suarez upfront. I'd take that over EV, who does not guarantee us anything in terms of trophies.

Setien flopped with one of the best Betis squads in the last 10 years. A team that should have been fighting for 4th place with the players they had. That's a MASSIVE fail. Put yourself in Pep's shoes, that guy bleeds Barca, he left because he wanted to revamp the squad and it wasn't ready to be revamped. Now it's primed for it. If Barca come begging, give him free reign then can anybody tell me ONE reason why he would stay at a club who he knows is tiny in comparison?

abbbs97

Setien flopped with one of the best Betis squads in the last 10 years. A team that should have been fighting for 4th place with the players they had. That's a MASSIVE fail. Put yourself in Pep's shoes, that guy bleeds Barca, he left because he wanted to revamp the squad and it wasn't ready to be revamped. Now it's primed for it. If Barca come begging, give him free reign then can anybody tell me ONE reason why he would stay at a club who he knows is tiny in comparison?

Pep wouldn't come back here because of the president and the board. If it was under a different president, say Laporta, it'll definitely be possible but not under Bartomeu.

Pep wouldn't come back here because of the president and the board. If it was under a different president, say Laporta, it'll definitely be possible but not under Bartomeu.

Fair enough, they need to go with a begging bowl to Poch then. I know he said he would never manage us, but at that time he probably never thought he'd get the chance. This is the best job in the world in a country he loves and speaks the language. Can you imagine anybody rejecting FC fking Barcelona to stay at Spurs, just so as not to upset a few pericos? Just doesn't make sense.

abbbs97

Fair enough, they need to go with a begging bowl to Poch then. I know he said he would never manage us, but at that time he probably never thought he'd get the chance. This is the best job in the world in a country he loves and speaks the language. Can you imagine anybody rejecting FC fking Barcelona to stay at Spurs, just so as not to upset a few pericos? Just doesn't make sense.

Would love Poch here. He did say he might resign from Spurs if he won the UCL. I agree, opinions change and he's a huge fan of Messi. The board should do everything they can to get him. Although, I did hear Juve want him but who would choose Juve over Barca?

Porque

In Setien's defence he was screaming for a striker over both markets and never got one. The team had nobody to put away the chances created.

Pochettino on the other hand has reached the CL final, but his Spurs side have also lost 18 games so far for their season. That is simply horrible.

I can't stand Valverde, but when you look deeper at other options, the grass (unfortunately) is not always greener on the other side.

Maybe someone like Koeman can be looked at. His record leaves a lot to be desired, but knows the club, attempts a more pleasing style and will bring an injection of hardwork to start with. Until atleast it inevitably ends in tears.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
I think this forum in general needs a reality check as well. A manager change won't fix Barca's problems. If the manager is an improvement, it still won't be enough to win a CL with the squad as it is. The ship has probably sailed on Messi winning another CL, he is turning 32 in a few weeks. Even if a manager came in right now (he won't because it seems barca are sticking with valverde), by the time the team is built Messi will be too old. The best Barca can hope for is a couple more Liga titles and cup titles before Messi leaves/retires.

It's only after Messi leaves that the board will truly begin a new era for barca, however good or bad that might be. Barca will need to suffer for some years before a good post Messi team is built, I wonder how many of the fans on here will stick around for that.

xXKonan

The grass may not be greener on the other side.

But even I think Unzue would be an upgrade in terms of the quality of Football, and I'm not joking. He got Celta to play some pretty good stuff during his time there. (Not that I'm advocating him for the spot).

Koeman seems to suit international football. He's iffy on the tactical front but like Lucho, he has an IDGAF what you're thinking mentality though, and perhaps even more abrasive to an extent. :lol:

Porque

But even I think Unzue would be an upgrade in terms of the quality of Football, and I'm not joking. He got Celta to play some pretty good stuff during his time there. (Not that I'm advocating him for the spot).

Koeman seems to suit international football. He's iffy on the tactical front but like Lucho, he has an IDGAF what you're thinking mentality though, and perhaps even more abrasive to an extent. :lol:

Don't get me wrong, I am all for getting Ernie out because of those CL exits, but it could equally put us in a worse position with the wrong choice. I imagine Setien would get us playing some beautiful football, but also pander to the seniors like a fan girl and have us leaking goals akin to our Van Gaal days.

On Koeman. At the very least Koeman would do two things. He wouldn't take shit from the seniors and with his playing career credentials and being a club legend would have enough respect to enforce his ideals (to an extent).

The second is that he would surely make sure to make de Ligt and de Jong integral on both his lines.

Another interesting point is that he actually has a crossover with Pochettino having taken over Southampton from him, and Koeman has a better performance percentage at that club.

At the very least, for me he is an interesting candidate who ticks a lot of boxes.

Although I am mainly looking at one box.

[v] Balls of Steel

Last edited:

jairzinho

Whether a new coach comes or not, the squad needs an overhaul.

Not a complete overhaul in one season but tangible changes this season and the next.

The squad is ageing and we need to evolve if we want to compete in Europe.

IMO the jury is still out on Valgreen leaving this season. That Copa game could surprise alot of people.

Last edited:

Tackle

Right now as rigid and pragmatic as Valverde's system may seem he is consistently delivering on the domestic stage. I will concede the CL might be too big for him, but it also seems like the CL is too big for our squad in general.

Is is worth throwing all this guaranteed domestic success away in the hopes a new manager would magically be able to push an older Messi centric team to another CL title?

Saying Valverde has nothing to do with our domestic success and Messi is doing everything on his own is quite simplistic and isn't actually the case. Valverde is the one providing the platform for Leo to shine so brightly. He's made the midfield compact, defense sturdy and handed the keys over to Messi to produce most of our attacking output. This system is brilliant for domestic competitions since Messi is the most consistent player in history and on most nights his production is more than enough for us to scrape results.

This obviously isn't a good game plan for the Champions League, but is it worth disrupting everything at this point when a full scale rebuild is only a few years away? Might as well stock pile the domestic titles while we can.

Valverde is the perfect manager to finish the existing core's cycle. He understands the severe limitations of the team and fragility of the egos in the dressing room. Messi himself likes the comfort of having familiar faces like Suarez, Alba, Busi, Pique and Raki in the team and despite his hunger for the Champions League values the comfort of familiarity and domestic stability over that. When people talk about the seniors supporting Valverde they never mention Messi, when in reality he is quite content with situation at the club and wants to conquer Europe again with his own generation that he already has chemistry with. He's almost 32, if we wanted to start a new era with Leo it should have been done after the 16/17 season. It's too late now.

I'm not opposed to starting a fresh cycle, with completely new players and a more ideological, inspiring manager, but I'm not sure that trying to put bandaids on the current situation is the solution. I'd rather we keep Valverde, stockpile titles, sign some promising youngsters to play smaller roles for the next few years and then rebuild the entire team. Hopefully by that time a few of Dembele, De Jong, Arthur etc. have shown that they are ready for core roles in the new generation.

Last edited:

Givenchy

Whether a new coach comes or not, the squad needs an overhaul.

Not a complete overhaul in one season but tangible changes this season and the next.

The squad is ageing and we need to evolve if we want to compete in Europe.

IMO the jury is still out on Valgreen leaving this season. That Copa game could surprise alot of people.

I just can't see a club as big as Barca, 2 seasons in a row bottle jobs, continuing with this guy.. i just cant imagine that in my mind. i still have maybe 1% hope left that everyone is keeping it 'professional' and will part ways at the seasons end

Messigician

In Setien's defence he was screaming for a striker over both markets and never got one. The team had nobody to put away the chances created.

Pochettino on the other hand has reached the CL final, but his Spurs side have also lost 18 games so far for their season. That is simply horrible.

I can't stand Valverde, but when you look deeper at other options, the grass (unfortunately) is not always greener on the other side.

Maybe someone like Koeman can be looked at. His record leaves a lot to be desired, but knows the club, attempts a more pleasing style and will bring an injection of hardwork to start with. Until atleast it inevitably ends in tears.

He lost 18 games but has like only 1 draw to make up for it

Home of Barca Fans