Ernesto Valverde - V1

fergus90

Messi, Suarez, Busquets, Rakitic were equally as tired.

EV should have predicted Suarez's injury and sub HIM out of these 4 players?

For example, why not taking off Messi?

That's the point though, by needlessly over playing players when the game is over is bad management of minutes.

Granted injuries happen at any time but this is a situation where you can afford to give players rest.

BBZ8800

That's the point though, by needlessly over playing players when the game is over is bad management of minutes.

Granted injuries happen at any time but this is a situation where you can afford to give players rest.

Wasn't it 1:3 in the 82nd minute?
Which is far from a certain victory?

After 4:1, he made 2 subs right away.

Plus, we have just won a title.
A cautious approach was a winning idea.

FCBfan22

Messi, Suarez, Busquets, Rakitic were equally as tired.

EV should have predicted Suarez's injury and sub HIM out of these 4 players?

For example, why not taking off Messi?

Should have. But he didn't. He should've taken off one of Messi and Suarez. And Suarez was the one that seemed more tired.

fergus90

Wasn't it 1:3 in the 82nd minute?
Which is far from a certain victory?

After 4:1, he made 2 subs right away.

Plus, we have just won a title.
A cautious approach was a winning idea.

It's all opinions but Betis mustered two shots on goal in 90 minutes. We have just played Madrid away twice, Lyon in the Champions league, Sevilla away and have a champions league schedule for which this team is running out on getting a chance to win another.

With 8 minutes to go and 3-1 up, there was every opportunity to sub players in before that. Like I said it's all opinion but last season April was the same, it's all good having a squad of 14 players but when most of them are 30+ who play every minute it takes it toll.

I think the performance was good and I don't criticise Valverde for the sake of it as I think he is doing a good job, but substitutions should and could happen earlier.

Last edited:

Jakabor

From the GOAT himself: "Valverde has designed a perfect plan and we have not suffered at any time. You have to adapt to each game."

All Hail King Valverde!

Cruyffistas still analyzing Setien's pass map.

FCBfan22

I was wrong before the game. Credit where it's due. TBH, it seems that Valverde is much more comfortable playing a 4-4-2 than a 4-3-3. Today, we finally looked balanced on both sides of the attack. Maybe he should try to implement 4-4-2 diamond as our main system. It would mean that Dembele would need to change his position to either RST or RM, but I think he can do that.

Once again, this match has also shown that Messi needs to play as close to the goal as possible.

The problem with Ernie is still his reaction time with the subs.

Try this at the end of Liga campaign:

------------MATS-------------
Semedo-Pique-Lenglet-Alba
-----------Busquets----------
----Rakitić---------Arthur----
-------------Messi------------
-----Dembele---Suarez------

Last edited:

Andresito

Staff member
We played good.

BUT. I must say Betis made a lot of mistakes both in possession and when defending. Giving away a freekick, getting owned by a lone Suárez and giving away lots of space.

My thought in the first half was 'this would never work against a better team, like City'.

And the lack of subs from Valverde, I have no comment for his lack of trust in the rest of the squad.

Home of Barca Fans