Ernesto Valverde - V1

jamrock

Let's me 100% clear about something right now defending is the easiest thing to do in football, there is a reason why the sport is so low scoring and damn near every manager in the world develops a defective approach first.

So to praise him for improving the defense isn't say much especially given the fact that it as come with a back word step in attack & by playing a bunch of work horse in midfield it really isn't anything special. If you can keep a clean sheet and have Messi & saurez being effective you will win most of your games.

The fact that he cannot integrate what are cleary better player while maintianing a good defensive shape speaks to his limitations as a manager, because there is nothing that Gomes & Paulinho can do defensively that dembele & coutinho can't, because all the do is basically absolutely nothing anyways, maybe help on corns that's about it.

People act as if we lost the league last season by a million points, we were a few points behind even with Luis fuck ups,the man is just a timid little man who is afraid if risk.

JamDav1982

Could argue the risk is continuing to play likes of Paulinho and Gomes when gets crucified if dont win when they play.

He isnt playing it safe. If anything playing it safe is doing what majority seem to want and would get less flack if goes wrong.

Yesterday folk act like Barca parked bus vs Atletico while City v Chelsea played like some side that has perfected the game but Barca created more chances against a better side that was on form.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Barca weren't even defensive in the first half, only in the second half when atletico started pushing many men forward. Valverde then smartly played on the counter and Barca could have won by 3-0 or more if Suarez and Messi didn't ruin every counter attack.

Nothanks

defending is easiest thing to do in football apparently, we let in goals and decided not to defend in big crucial games like in super cup or bayern munichs 7-0
or PSG's 4-0 defeats because we forgot to turn on the easy light switch of defending overpoweredness

jesus :cheers:

defending is easiest thing to do in football apparently, we let in goals and decided not to defend in big crucial games like in super cup or bayern munichs 7-0
or PSG's 4-0 defeats because we forgot to turn on the easy light switch of defending overpoweredness

We didn't lose 7-0 to Bayern or 4-0 to PSG because we played attacking football, but because we played "wtf are we even on the pitch?" football.

Unless you want to call a million lethargic passes between Bartra and Pique as we barely managed to get out of our own half, let alone create chances, "attacking football."

Inb4 muh poseshun.

Last edited:

xXKonan

I wasn't on this forum at the time but I remember the thrashing we got from Bayern pretty well.

Me and a buddy of mine (who's also a member on here) were on a chat and I just remember how brutal both ties were. we had a lot of problems that season despite the huge lead in the league, Tito got sick we racked up a lot of injuries and overall the state of team wasn't that great especially coming into the second half of the season.

I didn't feel as confident after we got Bayern but I didn't expect us to get demolished that bad as we did. the chat in both legs was pretty surreal during it happened and just the aftermath after we talked about it.

henias

Defending isn't the easiest thing to do. Cant just defend without attacking and expect to somehow magically win games. With Messi in your team, maybe. Same thing, cant attack without defending.

jamrock

It isn't name Anything in the outfield that's more difficult, the easiest thing one can do in football is organize a defense, oh let's throw 10 men behind the ball & what would be a 3+ goal defeat becomes a 1 goal defeat

Where do you put your worst players when picking your Sunday team? Is it in Midfield? Attack? Nope defense.

The nature of the sport leads itself to that, the average football game ends 2-1 it's simple logic to know that this is because breaking down a defense (attacking) is way more difficult that stopping a team from scoring (defending).

Home of Barca Fans