Ernesto Valverde - V1

Windhook

May be they hope he'll play several good games so they can sell him for a good price.

I doubt this is the motivation behind Valverde's decision to start Gomes. Even if true then this all backfired, his market value continues to drop, currently 22 million €.

George_Costanza

May be they hope he'll play several good games so they can sell him for a good price.

That's not true, he could have started him in less difficult matches, or give him more minutes when they win the game but not against one of the most difficult teams and in Anoeta stadium.

behindbrowneyes

He is still questionable. His decision to play the weakest player in the squad against the strong right side of Real Sociedad is nothing but a bad decision.

"“I thought that it would be better to go with Andre Gomes, because La Real have a powerful right side."

Gomes was actually so weak that we saw Busquets shifting to Gomes side to aid him which created unbalanced midfield.

So what would you have done in EVs situation? Start an even weaker Denis in midfield? Start Iniesta with some discomfort and risk a more serious injury? Switch to 4-3-3 with Dembélé in one of the traditionally most difficult away grounds for Barcelona? That was not the game to make an experiment like this. They ran over our midfield in recent years so it made sense to start with our proven 4-4-2. Take a look at yesterday's bench and tell us what you would've done in given situation with knowing that Iniesta has discomfort.

Starting Gomes was not the reason we struggled at Anoeta. We do it every time we play there and this has nothing to do with one player. In future Coutinho will start but I doubt we could have prevent them to score two in the first half.

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
That's not true, he could have started him in less difficult matches, or give him more minutes when they win the game but not against one of the most difficult teams and in Anoeta stadium.

Gomes played well against difficult team in difficult stadium vs Celta at Balaidos and that was with our B team. I am not a biggest fan of Gomes, but if his choice was between Gomes and Denis, then it was a good decision since Denis barely played and he is not that great either.

FinBarcelonafan

So what would you have done in EVs situation? Start an even weaker Denis in midfield? Start Iniesta with some discomfort and risk a more serious injury? Switch to 4-3-3 with Dembélé in one of the traditionally most difficult away grounds for Barcelona? That was not the game to make an experiment like this. They ran over our midfield in recent years so it made sense to start with our proven 4-4-2. Take a look at yesterday's bench and tell us what you would've done in given situation with knowing that Iniesta has discomfort.

Starting Gomes was not the reason we struggled at Anoeta. We do it every time we play there and this has nothing to do with one player. In future Coutinho will start but I doubt we could have prevent them to score two in the first half.

Great post. I think starting Gomes was the right and pretty much the only choice. We can't risk Iniesta right Now, especially when we have CL games coming soon. We need him there 100%. I would take risk losing points vs Sociedad if we can spare Iniesta from injury. It was smart decision!

Sure If Semedo was fine I would have started him RB and Roberto on midfield.

Messi983

If Iniesta wasn't fit why put him on the bench?

Because maybe EV planned to play him but Iniesta didn't feel well before the game so EV decided not to take a risk which is totally understandable in our current position. Match squad was announced a day before the game and coaches are often making "last-minute" changes to their pre-planned starting XI after talking with players a few hours before the game.

George_Costanza

Do I really need to answer the obvious?! I would have played Iniesta, as he was fine and had medical green light as per Velvarde's own quote: “Andres is fine, he has a little problem, but he’s fine and I preferred that he didn’t play.”

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
Do I really need to answer the obvious?! I would have played Iniesta, as he was fine and had medical green light as per Velvarde's own quote: “Andres is fine, he has a little problem, but he’s fine and I preferred that he didn’t play.”

He isn't fine: "Andrés Iniesta, for his part, has a problem in his right calf and his recovery will determine his return to action for the coming matches."

George_Costanza

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
No special moment for Valverde in his Barca career:

"There's no special moment in my Barça career so far…" There are many moments which have been important…"

"The comeback against La Real, the games against Juve -- the game at home especially because it came early on, it was important and it served to win the group. The away game, too. But I hope the best is yet to come."

(Didn't mention El Clasico win)

Home of Barca Fans