Ernesto Valverde - V1

xXKonan

The 3-4-2-1 with De Jong, playing as a Sweeper/DM role in the back three.

It looks actually not bad on paper but it's a very risky lineup, however, I'm not really a fan of De Jong, playing the sweeper role. Seems like a total waste of his abilities to be wasted in a role like that. And it also lacks a bit of pace in that lineup. Bar Alba, the rest of the team aren't known for being pacy.

George_Costanza

The 3-4-2-1 with De Jong, playing as a Sweeper/DM role in the back three.

It looks actually not bad on paper but it's a very risky lineup, however, I'm not really a fan of De Jong, playing the sweeper role. Seems like a total waste of his abilities to be wasted in a role like that. And it also lacks a bit of pace in that lineup. Bar Alba, the rest of the team aren't known for being pacy.

I don't think Valverde understand what's sweeper is and even if he does, I don't think he is capable of employing such tactics/formation and mentor FDJ to be the next Franz Beckenbauer.

clemente

What a perfect time for the boot, I don't understand why he's still here, new manager would have 2 weeks to get used to the squad.

Messigician

I don't think Valverde understand what's sweeper is and even if he does, I don't think he is capable of employing such tactics/formation and mentor FDJ to be the next Franz Beckenbauer.

He doesnt have to, as I am someone who has coached before this is just what I would play. In glad at least a couple of people understand the philosophy behind playing De Yong a as a sweeper.

Raketa10

He doesnt have to, as I am someone who has coached before this is just what I would play. In glad at least a couple of people understand the philosophy behind playing De Yong a as a sweeper.

Coaching a team in FIFA 18 and 19 does not count. :rofl1:

Dude that formation is beyond awful. You have 2 CB, 2 DM players, 2 fullbacks and a sweeper, not to mention you have 3-4-1-2 system without a proper midfield so this would basically be 5-2-1-2. :facepalm: No to mention some players you chose are not even suitable for that "system" of yours. I won't go further since this is really absurd.

Last edited:

BBZ8800

You're all probably the same people who didnt understand why Lucho switched to 3-4-3 amateurs!

Because a 3 man midfield without a help from young Messi, Pedro, Etoo, Henry and a RB Dani Alves as a silent midfielder is often being outrun in current times?
Especially when Lucho had 3 grannies Iniesta, Busi, Raki without a help from attackers and Dani Alves.

And Valverde continued with a 4men midfield from the same reasons.
Then he switched to a 3men granny midfield this season again. We sucked and now he is back with 4 midfielders currently.

George_Costanza

Because a 3 man midfield without a help from young Messi, Pedro, Etoo, Henry and a RB Dani Alves as a silent midfielder is often being outrun in current times?
Especially when Lucho had 3 grannies Iniesta, Busi, Raki without a help from attackers and Dani Alves.

And Valverde continued with a 4men midfield from the same reasons.
Then he switched to a 3men granny midfield this season again. We sucked and now he is back with 4 midfielders currently.

EV sucked with 4-3-3 cuz he doesn't understand how to implement the system. It's an amateurish mistake to have a double pivot in a 4-3-3 system. Two destroyers will only work in 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2, not a 4-3-3 system, we won't have the balance needed. Like I said before, you have to have one DM (destroyer), one passer/holder and one trequartista or creative player for the 4-3-3 system.

Givenchy

What a perfect time for the boot, I don't understand why he's still here, new manager would have 2 weeks to get used to the squad.

depressing part of this is, i haven't even seen a single rumour our board are considering replacing him... he'll probably get lucky again with a league/copa and get a contract extension :lol:

MTL_Barca

Playing De Jong there would be fine because he's like the perfect player for that role but overall that lineup still looks not very good imo.

The whole team would be slow as hell and especially the center. Playing Busi on top of 2 CB + De Jong seems pointless as Busquets usually is best when he can drop in that area as well. Playing him higher up doesn't give you anything and you don't need 4 players in CB/DM area to build up, and then there is Arthur as well who is mostly there for holding possession and making safe passes in build up this far. We would still apply zero pressure on the wings as there would still only be Alba there and Roberto just isn't good enough to play a role like Alves.

Looks like the Valverde version of a 3-4-3 tbh. I'm sure Pep would never play it like that if he had that squad.

Edit: I still think the problem with 4-3-3 in our squad is Messi or the strikers in general. Suarez is too slow and bad with the ball to play like Villa/Henry, Messi doesn't play a proper RW and our RBs aren't Alves who could almost play for 2 in his prime. Unless you can sort that out the midfield doesn't matter because it already fails at getting a 3 at front.

Only way i could see is dropping Suarez and going back to false 9 Messi, unless we do that we'll be stuck with awkward formations. Or we miraculously discover a young Alves, but i guess chances of that happening are similar to finding another Xavi or Iniesta.

Last edited:

George_Costanza

Edit: I still think the problem with 4-3-3 in our squad is Messi or the strikers in general. Suarez is too slow and bad with the ball to play like Villa/Henry, Messi doesn't play a proper RW and our RBs aren't Alves who could almost play for 2 in his prime. Unless you can sort that out the midfield doesn't matter because it already fails at getting a 3 at front.

Only way i could see is dropping Suarez and going back to false 9 Messi, unless we do that we'll be stuck with awkward formations. Or we miraculously discover a young Alves, but i guess chances of that happening are similar to finding another Xavi or Iniesta.

The 4-3-3 besides having balanced midfielders as I explained before, it also requires such a discipline from the forwards. The wider players on the wing have to track back and help with the defense (think of Pedro's energy under Pep), the central forward has to take regular possession of the ball from the midfield. Suarez was able to do it a few years ago but not anymore. This task should be handled by Messi. Then you have to question Suarez role. Is he the best fit for Left forward? Or could we replace him with younger and more energetic left wing like Malcom or Dembele? I don't have Suarez heat map to see how would he function as LW.

For me this is ideal 4-3-3 formation

Semedo-(Pique???)-Umtiti-Alba
-----Busquets (Vidal)----
Arthur-------
----------------------Coutinho
Malcom----Messi-----Demeble(Suarez)

Vidal natural position isn't 6 but I think he can cover for 6.

BarçaBarça

The 4-3-3 besides having balanced midfielders as I explained before, it also requires such a discipline from the forwards. The wider players on the wing have to track back and help with the defense (think of Pedro's energy under Pep), the central forward has to take regular possession of the ball from the midfield. Suarez was able to do it a few years ago but not anymore. This task should be handled by Messi. Then you have to question Suarez role. Is he the best fit for Left forward? Or could we replace him with younger and more energetic left wing like Malcom or Dembele? I don't have Suarez heat map to see how would he function as LW.

For me this is ideal 4-3-3 formation

Semedo-(Pique???)-Umtiti-Alba
-----Busquets (Vidal)----
Arthur-------
----------------------Coutinho
Malcom----Messi-----Demeble(Suarez)

Vidal natural position isn't 6 but I think he can cover for 6.

Fine lineup, imo.
The problem right now is that Suarez is too slow, although he can provide crucial goals, still.
I don't know if Malcom is ready to start, and take his role in attack, he would need to be disciplined and work defensively for it to work (unlike Suarez).
I still wish Griezmann would have come, we need to look for a Suarez-replacement soon, so we can be ready when he turns into a turtle for good.

Home of Barca Fans