Ernesto Valverde - V1

FinBarcelonafan

Think the lucky draw in London and then big win against not very tactical Girona may have swept problems under the carpet.

True. Girona game made us all feel good, but we were awful.vs Chelsea. I think we will see our real level soon vs Atletico. They are on great form..

I see people still think Atletico is nothing to worry about. They just scored 5 away to Sevilla and are just 4 points behind us as it stands. If we don't beat them on Sunday, La Liga is very much open. And if we lose the derby it's going to come down to the wire, with Atletico having h2h advantage and us having to play Madrid at home at the end of the season.

They have to play Madrid away.

henias

Now people start panicking and realise how tough and hectic the second part of the season is, and EV already running the squad to the ground at the start of the season. People worry so much abt Getafe, Espanyol, Eibar, Alaves but completely forgot we have to face ATM and Madrid again and not mention Chelsea and possibly much tougher CL opponents if we advance.

We have the league cushion to our advantage and we didnt even use it, now it calls for a more stronger and fitter squad in the second part of the season where fatigue starts to heavily set in. So how safe is the "safe way" exactly?

Even if we play like this the next season, its going to be the same. Madrid will have prioritised their games from start and not going to make it easy for us. Even if we secure the double this season, next season might be a different story if we keep going full force in every competition instead of spreading out our energies across the tournaments. Time will tell. Until it calls for better planning, I dont think we can even easily secure any CL or Liga in the next few years.

Zincubus

Banned
Starting to lean towards the camp that feels Valverde's lack of rotations will hurt us in Champions League campaign.

Fatigue was always one of the factors with other like luck, injuries, form, etc.. But this one is most manageable and I don't think Valverde is doing it properly.

What if we didn't have points cushion? Would he play Iniesta in every single match?
More to the point if we lose Messi !!

Neymar out for 3 months per new reports

True. Girona game made us all feel good, but we were awful.vs Chelsea. I think we will see our real level soon vs Atletico. They are on great form..

They will pummel and kick us into submission... and the ref will let them ..

xXKonan

I remember Catalan Journalists talking about one of Valverde's biggest flaws was he rarely wants to rotate. I gave him the benefit of the doubt about that due to Bilbao not exactly having much of a squad to rotate when needed.

However while it's true the squad was hamstrung early on in the season due to Dembele getting injured and us not getting Coutinho. But we brought in the likes of Yerry and Coutinho in January and Dembele is back you would expect more rotations to rest some of the aging players to keep the fresh but it hasn't exactly happened.

The Pique situation is annoying as hell. He has been having problems since that Espanyol match, and yet he has mostly played despite carrying that knee problem. Seriously what is up with this? Is Valverde really that stubborn as fuck to keep trying to shoehorn him in to the side despite not all being that fit?

Neeraj

The weird part about the Pique move is that Pique isn't even the most important player in games like this. He isn't a Messi, who basically makes all our attacks and goals, so that without him, we have a significantly reduced chance of the full 3 points. He's a CB, and against a weak team, especially when you have other CB's in the squad who can easily slot in (not to mention this would be a good time to get them some game time anyway, irrespective of the injury), the decision is inexplicable.

jairzinho

EV seems to want to prioritize winning even if it means using players who are clearly fatigued and in need of a rest.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
ter Stegen

Roberto - Umtiti - Vermaelen - Digne

Dembele - Rakitic - Busquets - Iniesta

Messi - Coutinho

Good lead = Rakitic, Messi and Busquets subbed out.

FinBarcelonafan

The weird part about the Pique move is that Pique isn't even the most important player in games like this. He isn't a Messi, who basically makes all our attacks and goals, so that without him, we have a significantly reduced chance of the full 3 points. He's a CB, and against a weak team, especially when you have other CB's in the squad who can easily slot in (not to mention this would be a good time to get them some game time anyway, irrespective of the injury), the decision is inexplicable.

So much truth in this post. Mina can handle the lower opposition just fine.

serghei

League is over, right guys?

Valverde is an idiot. He has so much firepower to blast these teams away, and he's too chickenshit to use them and instead plays with low-quality players because they work harder.

You put in Coutinho and Dembele when they are cramped in their own box and expect them to save your ass. OK, I understand, Chelsea away, you play it more safe. But this is fucking 18th placed team and you keep 300m. worth of players, well rested, on the bench.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans