Ernesto Valverde - V1

M

MessiCam

Passing Map from Girona Match:

by3dH07.jpgf

What the fuck is this?

I also wasn’t impressed with that performance other than the nice little link ups.

Coutinho’s positioning is awful. This is not Liverpool... Dembélé was also very poor positionally.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
What the fuck is this?

I also wasn’t impressed with that performance other than the nice little link ups.

Coutinho’s positioning is awful. This is not Liverpool... Dembélé was also very poor positionally.

oab@fcbarcelona.cat

You can send your Football Manager CV to that mail.

Perhaps they'll fire Valverde and everyone else and hire you :mou:

M

MessiCam

oab@fcbarcelona.cat

You can send your Football Manager CV to that mail.

Perhaps they'll fire Valverde and everyone else and hire you :mou:

Yeah, maybe I should. But seriously, Girona played right into our hands. There was always space and the 2 new boys have a lot to learn I terms of positioning. For a change Messi also stayed predominantly in the centre which made it easier for the Coutinho and Dembélé to play.

The link ups were nice though. Playing this system against Atleti will be a proper test though.

M

MessiCam

Has anybody heard from [MENTION=16942]BBZ8800[/MENTION]? There was only 1 workhorse in the team.

MagIX

Yesterday game was fun to watch, it was a game for entertainment, help player confidence and integrating the new boys (Semedo/Coutinho/Dembele) and the whole moral of the team after underwhelming February
But it wasn't a game to make conclusions unfortunately
Girona played stupid and to helped us to maximize our strength, against tougher teams Coutinho won't have same spaces he had, him and Dembele would be punished for their bad positioning, Semedo attacking would look way worse.
Girona left us space while they are far inferior than us, I really want to say "this is the best formation" etc but the truth is while this is more or less our long term line up it isn't really going to work much this season in tougher games.
Semedo injury also make it worse, was hoping he can stay fit to give us the option of pushing Roberto in midfield when needed

Exactly, I can't believe that it can be seen in another way....

BBZ8800

Has anybody heard from [MENTION=16942]BBZ8800[/MENTION]? There was only 1 workhorse in the team.

Ok, a simplified lesson for you.

I also enjoyed a game, as a fan of 442 and workhorses.
But I hope that more people will realize that there are different levels of opponents and matches in Barca's season.

** This is not a fact. Just my estimation and my way to describe a different levels of our opponents during one season.
Level 1, easiest level:
CDR early matches against weak opponents, both home and away
Home La Liga matches against midtable and bottom table teams.
In matches like this, teams either park the bus, or play extremely scared (not all of them though) or they play stupid.
These are the kind of matches where in general, a more attacking and risky approach is better and will produce more wins and goals long term than a cautious approach.
So, if 433 will work as well yesterday, my vote also goes for: EV, you should play attacking 433 at majority of Camp Nou matches, except against 3-4 strongest teams.

Level 2 are:
Away La liga matches where teams play way better (Sociedad at Anoeta compared to Sociedad at Camp Nou and similar).
In these matches, 433 isn't working as good as on a level 1.
In some seasons, when we are on fire, we are winning even with 433 on away (tougher matches).
But in days when we are not in form, 433 often turns into a horror show in away La Liga matches, where we are outrun in middle and we face lots of counters (and goals and defeats in the end, like spring 2016, and a whole 2016-17 season).
In these kind of matches, imo, we should use a mix of 433 and some more cautious approach, like 442.
We can start a match in 433, and if we suck, we should turn to a more defensive formation.
Or we can start with 442 and if we are not creating chances, we can risk more and play 433.

Level 3:
La Liga matches against RM, Am and similar.
Or HOME CL knockout rounds matches.
At home in a CL, we usually dominate more and we can risk more.
So, more risks and 433 from time to time isn't the end of a world (if the results will be good. If they won't be good, it is time to use something else which is bringing better results).

Level 4:
This is where we get killed usually.
CL knockout stage AWAY matches.
Atletico, Atletico, Psg, Juventus, Chelsea, Bayern and similar matches.

Remember when we played in early Copa rounds and people commented how Denis and players played a wonderful first touch passing football.
Yeah. That's because they played against a 3rd division opponent.
When the bar is raised against La Liga teams or CL teams, Denis is a ghost then.
So, up to a certain level, everything works.
Above that level, you need something better. A lot of guys will finally understand that in 10-20 years.

Also, remember in previous years in Camp Nou La Liga matches:
1. how Bartra looked like a real deal against this level of opponents and in HOME La Liga matches
2. how Sergi Roberto looked like the best CM and CDM in HOME La liga matches 2-3 years ago
3. how even 35 years old Xavi looked like a prime Xavi in HOME La liga matches in his last year, when the opponents are scared

That is not a coincidence.
Again, on a level 1 of matches, Xavi was good back then. Bartra also.
On a level 2 they already struggled.
On a level 3 and 4, they were a horror show.

But also, if we will be able to play this good on a level 1 (in home La liga matches), I am with you: play 433 all out attack against midtable teams at home.
For example, already next week, we will face a tougher task in an AWAY La liga match because opponents usually play better at home.
And the same tactics which worked at HOME often struggles way more in AWAY matches.

But, if 433 will work good both on a level 1, level 2 and level 3, I have nothing against it.
I DO know though that it sucks over and over in Champions league on a level 4 year after year.

The thing is, this season even 442 with workhorses worked better than 433 from Lucho's era.
But if a new 433 with Coutinho (and Dembele) will work better than Lucho's 433, no problem for me.
But again, we will need way more tougher AWAY matches to see a defensive stability of a 433.

On the other hand, a new problem:
EV will probably want to play Iniesta in the next match and we'll probably suck.
He is old and doesn't run as much anymore.
So, a 433 with Iniesta and 433 with Coutinho is not the same.
Also, if Suarez will get rested, we will be way weaker with some 433 without him in attack.

And one more time, I don't have problems with 433 (or Dembele or anyone) if those things produce good results.
I hate 433 because it sucked hard in the last few years on a highest level.
It is a perfect formation though for the weakest level of strength (home La liga matches).

This is something what Pep is doing wrong all the time.
He created a perfect tactics to beat midtable teams both in Barca, Bayern and City.
And then when he faces big boys in a CL, he is knocked out all the time in the same fashion, because he hasn't figured out yet that something what works perfectly against crappy teams, doesn't need to work at all against Big boys in a CL.

In short:
If 433 will work=play it up to a certain level.
On a highest level (CL KO matches)=play a mix of an attacking football when possible and a mix of a more cautious football to get results (when needed)

Last edited:
M

MessiCam

To be honest with you [MENTION=16942]BBZ8800[/MENTION] I don’t know what Valverde played last night... To me it looked an extreme hybrid of the 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3.

And for the record I wasn’t referring to the formation but rather the lack of workhorses in the team. I like this Barça better but we need to test it against Atleti.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans