Ernesto Valverde - V1

vinni

one thing that have improved since last year is how we absorb pressure. I dont know if you guys remember, but last year we had a hard time building from the back. I especially remember the away games against celta vigo and athletic. They had us pinned back badly.

This dont seem to be a big issue anymore. Hopefully we can build on this and our attack is sorted for the second part of the season. If Valverde can just get Suarez to score again and Dembele returns in good shape i think we have are on to something.

xXKonan

Assuming this is true what took them this long to realize this?

We needed to get rid of deadweight and bring in a good quality CM this summer but in the end all we brought in is Paulinho and we failed to bring in Verratti and Coutinho. Honestly with Coutinho I thought we may have a shot earlier on in the summer but we waited to long until Neymar left in order to get him.

We need a CB,Striker,and a Midfielder.

Right now the likes of Stegen/Cillessen Roberto/Semedo Pique/Umtiti/Masche Alba/Digne Busi, Paulinho, Messi/Dembele are something we can build on. Iniesta has a place on this team but he's 33 and he won't be around forever and he has his share of injuries.

Huge unknowns for me right now or are sellable Denis,Deulo,Rakitic,Arda,Verm,Rafinha,Gomes,Paco,Suarez,Vidal. We have some players to build on but we also have a lot of deadweight or players that simply do not fit what we need right now.

BBZ8800

He wanted CB last summer, he wanted a midfielder last summer too, other than replacing Suarez he already foreseen our problem but board failed him

Yes, EV wanted a lot of players, and then the board went all in for 150M Dembele and 150-180M Coutinho.
So, we got only a winger who is injured for now.
No Cbs, no midfielders since we went all in for Coutinho, whom Liverpool didn't want to sell.

So, not EV's fault, but the board's fault and Ney's summer fault.

Also, EV didn't sign 5 years extensions with former stars Luis and Rakitic, for example.
Or signing long deals with older players Arda, now Paulinho etc.

Even if EV was a true magician, he can't fix 100s of problems which the board created, just in one summer.

BarçaBarça

To play Busquets, Mascherano and Paulinho is kind of blasphemy in our club, but of course he has all the freedom in the world, when the board has handed him a squad with eye-catching weaknesses and 1000 problems to deal with. A small miracle to be leading the league right now, if he can secure the same lead until january, the sporting sector needs to do the rest.

M

MessiCam

For those who are interested in a balanced analysis of Valverde’s tactics up to this point

Positives
1 - Messi’s central role - I agree
2 - Pressing (Not so sure of this one as the article later states) - At times
3 - More patience and triangles (Uses Espanyol and Juventus games for analysis which we know was 4-3-3 False 9) - I agree when 4-3-3 is used
4 - defensive line pushing up - I agree
5 - Rakitic doesn’t need to compensate for RW Messi drifting centrally - I agree
6 - Right flank as tactical weapon - Hell no. It’s been a hindrance since Dembélé’s injury

Negatives
1 - Suárez’ role and position with Messi in the centre as well the times when a double pivot is played it is far from convincing - I agree
2 - Lack of creativity, only Messi and Iniesta capable of splitting defences - I agree
3 - Speed of the passing and movement - I agree
4 - Issues with static 4-4-2 defensive animation allowing too much space for teams to run at us - I agree (Refer to point 2 of positives)

Messi983

For those who are interested in a balanced analysis of Valverde’s tactics up to this point

Positives
1 - Messi’s central role - I agree
2 - Pressing (Not so sure of this one as the article later states) - At times
3 - More patience and triangles (Uses Espanyol and Juventus games for analysis which we know was 4-3-3 False 9) - I agree when 4-3-3 is used
4 - defensive line pushing up - I agree
5 - Rakitic doesn’t need to compensate for RW Messi drifting centrally - I agree
6 - Right flank as tactical weapon - Hell no. It’s been a hindrance since Dembélé’s injury

Don't agree with that. I think EV is using right side to try out different things which is understandable after his plans to connect Semedo and Dembele were stalled because Dembele's injury. But he did use right flank as a tactical weapon IMO, especially in Atletico game when he subbed on Roberto and Deulofeu. It's obvious we won't totally know what his plans for right wing are and how things will turn out until Dembele will return though.

M

MessiCam

Don't agree with that. I think EV is using right side to try out different things which is understandable after his plans to connect Semedo and Dembele were stalled because Dembele's injury. But he did use right flank as a tactical weapon IMO, especially in Atletico game when he subbed on Roberto and Deulofeu. It's obvious we won't totally know what his plans for right wing are and how things will turn out until Dembele will return though.

I think it's been more of a hindrance than anything else because nobody has nailed down the spot. Against Atleti, Valverde had little choice but to go attacking in search of a goal. I don't know why he thought playing Gomes on the right side of midfield was a good idea. His performance improved dramatically after the substitions.

Alik

I wouldn't consider any right flank with Gomes or Deulofeu a "tactical weapon". Substituting a midfielder into RB to compensate for that doesn't count.

khaled_a_d

I think it's been more of a hindrance than anything else because nobody has nailed down the spot. Against Atleti, Valverde had little choice but to go attacking in search of a goal. I don't know why he thought playing Gomes on the right side of midfield was a good idea. His performance improved dramatically after the substitions.

We really didn't have any right side in past year, it was Roberto and that's just it. Right now we actually have one and it made us more balanced. he tried almost everyone there and tries to make the best out of it depending on the situation, doesn't always get it right but usually it plays a role in our game, that was non-existent in last year

Messi983

I don't think Gomes was really that bad playing as RM in Atletico game and from a tactical standpoint I think he accomplished what EV expected him to do - give us width and help keeping possesion (something which let's say Deulofeu wouldn't do against an agressive opponent because he would just try to dribble past everyone and give away possesion). He played as a wide midfielder not winger so of course people expecting him having an offensive effect were not pleased but I don't think this was his role. Maybe tactical weapon is wrong word but I believe he did offer us a tactical flexibility and starting him in that position ahead of Deulofeu was the right decision.

Home of Barca Fans