Ernesto Valverde - V1

henias

did a journalist or anyone ever ask him why he plays 4-4-2 and not barca's 4-3-3?

someone also needs to ask him if he plans on changing to 4-3-3 this season

It's the style he's familiar with at Bilbao of course. He tries to incorparate a defensive with possession style football, which honestly, I think it doesnt work for Barcelona. Even when Dembele came back frm injury, he was so reluctant to play him because he's too afraid to switch to the 433, because of the temporary success 442 gave against smaller teams and a Madrid side who's doing badly at the start. But then he became obsessesed with it and even trust Andre Gomes more to deliver in big games which obviously is the biggest mystery till today.

He would be forced to make a massive change next season, whether to use Arthur or Rakitic, play Dembele etc. because it's do or die for him. If he continues the same way, and do badly in the CL then he's gone for sure.

FC433

I think this will be his last season. I can't see him winning the CL and I think the clubs hierarchy is desperate to add at least one more cl before our golden generation hangs up their boots.

Our Golden G ended a while back. We had a different team under LE with the famous trio MSN. We have been building a new team for a few years now and I am very optimistic about it.

FC433

I am hoping that we are getting rid of at least 7 players before our tour (24/7). We cannot afford to give opportunities/ minutes to anyone who does not have a future with us.

Barcilliant

Our Golden G ended a while back. We had a different team under LE with the famous trio MSN. We have been building a new team for a few years now and I am very optimistic about it.

We actually have a pretty good squad. I don't know if Valverde has the balls to manage a big club like Barca.

Barcilliant

The match against Roma was a fuck up of epic proportions. We'll see if he's learnt anything. Like I said it's Cl or bust for Valverde. With Madrid success in the cl and our lack of it fans have lost patience.

MTL_Barca

did a journalist or anyone ever ask him why he plays 4-4-2 and not barca's 4-3-3?

someone also needs to ask him if he plans on changing to 4-3-3 this season

He wanted/had to play Messi in the middle, so what should he do with Suarez then? If he wants to keep Suarez in the middle too he has to either play 4-4-2 or just play without someone on the right side like Lucho did.

So i think we won't see a real 4-3-3 as long as Suarez + Messi are starters here since i don't see one of them playing on the wing constantly.

henias

He wanted/had to play Messi in the middle, so what should he do with Suarez then? If he wants to keep Suarez in the middle too he has to either play 4-4-2 or just play without someone on the right side like Lucho did.

So i think we won't see a real 4-3-3 as long as Suarez + Messi are starters here since i don't see one of them playing on the wing constantly.

Suarez is a LW on paper but he will be a LF and Alba will cover him. Just like how Dani Alves used to cover for Messi when he moves centrally.

The only time Barcelona played with Messi as a false 9 was against Juventus in the group stage. And u cant have Messi and Suarez crowding in the middle as well, someone has to make way and for Messi to score he needs to play false 9 or RW. No way around it.

Like I said 442 has it's limitations as well. Dembele is not a wide midfielder and neither can Rakitic play out wide. Busquets doesnt work well in a double pivot. In 433, everyone is in their best positions except Suarez, while 442 many players have to sacrifice their positions as well. The team doesnt revolves around Suarez and Messi and every position is as important.

Tekkers

i'd rather dembele thrive at another club than rot away on the bench with this coward. that shit he pulled off against roma when a CLUB LEGEND in his final year in iniesta was pleading for him to make a tactical change (aka bring on fucking dembele) at half time, and he outright refused to do so until the game was over is unforgivable.

and that goes for other young attacking talent like mbappe, et al. keep them the hell away from barca as long as this guy is in charge. he's a man who fully deserves your willian and rabiot's of the world. shit manager

Calidad

It's the style he's familiar with at Bilbao of course. He tries to incorparate a defensive with possession style football, which honestly, I think it doesnt work for Barcelona. Even when Dembele came back frm injury, he was so reluctant to play him because he's too afraid to switch to the 433, because of the temporary success 442 gave against smaller teams and a Madrid side who's doing badly at the start. But then he became obsessesed with it and even trust Andre Gomes more to deliver in big games which obviously is the biggest mystery till today.

He would be forced to make a massive change next season, whether to use Arthur or Rakitic, play Dembele etc. because it's do or die for him. If he continues the same way, and do badly in the CL then he's gone for sure.

I agree exactly. The only player the 4-4-2 really benefits is Suarez, and likewise he’s the only player who doesn’t have a natural position in the 4-3-3. But isn’t a good enough player now to sacrifice a system to benefit him.

Coutinho (I don’t care how many times I see it written or said) is NOT a wide player. You’ll get the best out of him playing centrally where he can link with the entire attack and midfield. Also, playing him in a 4-4-2 basically means him and Dembele hardly ever link which is a complete waste.

Suarez can play a LWF. It may not be ideal for him anymore, but it works for the rest of the team.

soul24rage

I agree exactly. The only player the 4-4-2 really benefits is Suarez, and likewise he’s the only player who doesn’t have a natural position in the 4-3-3. But isn’t a good enough player now to sacrifice a system to benefit him.

Coutinho (I don’t care how many times I see it written or said) is NOT a wide player. You’ll get the best out of him playing centrally where he can link with the entire attack and midfield. Also, playing him in a 4-4-2 basically means him and Dembele hardly ever link which is a complete waste.

Suarez can play a LWF. It may not be ideal for him anymore, but it works for the rest of the team.

Maybe if we buy a player like Kante, we can play something a 4-3-3 like this

Kante---Busi---Coutinho
Messi---Suarez--Dembele

Vilarrubi

Could even argue his formation was more attacking at Bilbao.. He always had the two CDM's but Aduriz up front with Williams RF and Susaeta LF with Raul Garcia behind the striker, generally a 4-2-3-1 with different players.

Crazy how we ended up with more or less a flat 4-4-2 at times, fine for La Liga like you said but awful for big games. Doesn't play to our strengths.

enaeipourria

Curious member
We will probably play 4231 this year. at least I want that :)) With these players, the most balanced and most logical arrangement is the 4231. Busquets and Arthur (hopefully) in DCM. Dembele and Messi and Coutinho in front of them. But this is just the easiest part. The details and descriptions of the duties of these players is decisive. And that's where the doubts begin to happen about EV.

Devils

GOATverde back at it.

Ernesto gonna throw some serious shade on the competition this year, they wont want to have any of this smoke.

jairzinho

We will probably play 4231 this year. at least I want that :)) With these players, the most balanced and most logical arrangement is the 4231. Busquets and Arthur (hopefully) in DCM. Dembele and Messi and Coutinho in front of them. But this is just the easiest part. The details and descriptions of the duties of these players is decisive. And that's where the doubts begin to happen about EV.

That 4-2-3-1 on paper is actually a 4-4-2 on the field when you think about how the players line up.
Dembele and Coutinho as the wide players with Busquets and Arthur/Rakitic in the middle. Whatever formation we use, it seems Messi will always play in that zone just off the main striker.

Home of Barca Fans