Ernesto Valverde - V1

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
How many times it happen that a youngster get his season debut in CL? Ok it happened with Samper but sure as hell it doesn't happen often.
Again, I want alena to get his chance, but tomorrow game is an important game, and coach so far clearly doesn't agree with your assessment of Alena being better than Rakitic,Gomes etx.
It isn't a game for experiments.

It isn't common, nor is Aleña a common talent. He's almost clearly the BEST talent to have come through the club since Thiago and has proven himself to be 1st division ready more than any of the 'hyped' prospects out of La Masia before him. He's proving it week in week out in the Segunda, in every first team appearance, and with his clear favor of 2 separate first team coaches. He plays first team level football and outperforms many first team players both in training and on the pitch whenever he gets chances, he even won us a CDR game with a wicked goal last year.

This isn't a blind faith type risk nor much of an experiment. I'd say a bigger experiment was playing Andre fucking Gomes at RW against Atletico in a wack formation that almost certainly lost us those points. Practically every game by EV so far has been an experiment and a MUCH less certain situation than playing Aleña would be. If anything, playing Aleña is favoring and adhering to the proven system that made us kings of Europe rather than the one that keeps us stuck in the dirt today.

JamDav1982

It wouldnt be a risk to play him other than he is playing too many games and it may be better for now to continue as leader in B team and come in for cup games and if qualified in CL.

Would it not be something like 4 games in 10 days if he played?

serghei

How many times it happen that a youngster get his season debut in CL? Ok it happened with Samper but sure as hell it doesn't happen often.
Again, I want alena to get his chance, but tomorrow game is an important game, and coach so far clearly doesn't agree with your assessment of Alena being better than Rakitic,Gomes etx.
It isn't a game for experiments.

Jam has a point Seghei, what is said today about Alena was exactly said (and more) about Samper, and before him Bartra and Montoya, Montoya was actually called to Spain first team when he was playing with B team (but didn't play)
Your whole argument is based on your assessment of Alena, but it doesn't seem like people in the club agree with it, Alena wasn't called to any first team. It isn't like Valverde would love to lose
There was even talks last year that the club was mad at Lucho because he called him many times was first team because they thought he is pushing him early and he isn't ready.
So if we talk about Alena as a talented youngster, and not "a better player than our first team midfield" which seem to be the current club assessment, then Valverde is realistic and not a coward.
i would put that label in 2nd half of the season if he start to have a clear formation,ideas and don't see Alena in the squad. Specially considering Puyol won't be too patient (he is his agent)

I never rated Montoya, Bartra and Samper. I do rate Alena. So, for me, he is clearly a superior player to this and a superior talent as well. Not giving him time and starting Rakitic over and over again is a massive mistake.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
This midfield is so slow and so uninspiring leading to the dull football we're playing.

It's going to bite us in the ass in the CL KO stages for sure if we don't make any changes.

Yet Ernesto keep insisting on playing Rakitic and not Denis or Roberto in the midfield, or even considering calling up Alenya for what is supposed to be easier home games.

This is very frustrating to watch. This club's been reactive instead of proactive for years now, but it seems like our managers recently are just the same.

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
You cannot tell me playing Alenya for 10 minutes is worth less than Gomes getting time out there.

This is a guy who has no future at the club and will get sold or loaned out either in January or next summer.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Where's Alena, where's Denis? Why bring in Rakitic and Gomes especially when they already started, undeservedly so, against Atletico 3 days ago!?

Last edited:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I am getting annoyed with his decisions too. Nevermind B players. Denis didn't get a minute either.

He is interested in getting results and surviving like Lucho was. No vision or planning like under Van Gaal, Rijkaard or Pep. Those were the guys who built things and I am missing that.

Mesmar

improving young players my ass. We are expecting from a guy who does not substitute denis suarez instead of that useless turtle to gime minutes to the likes of aleña. I am so disappointed from what I've seen of him.

xXKonan

DMctlWeX4AAz8Ql.jpg

FC433

Reminds me of Mourinho, Conte and Simeone. I do not like that. Our opponent was very poor and yet we played a very slow game. So boring. Suarez cannot keep up playing on the wings. Why Paco is not getting chances?

D. Suarez? Semedo?

Again Valverde prefers experienced players just like the coaches I mentioned.

I was very happy when he was appointed, but now I am not sure. Yes we are getting good results, but that is never enough.

JamDav1982

Reminds me of Mourinho, Conte and Simeone. I do not like that. Our opponent was very poor and yet we played a very slow game. So boring. Suarez cannot keep up playing on the wings. Why Paco is not getting chances?

D. Suarez? Semedo?

Again Valverde prefers experienced players just like the coaches I mentioned.

I was very happy when he was appointed, but now I am not sure. Yes we are getting good results, but that is never enough.

Battered them the whole game and in that first half Busi and Paulinho were in control and moving ball very quickly.

Team played well and in Barca style for me.

FC433

Battered them the whole game and in that first half Busi and Paulinho were in control and moving ball very quickly.

Team played well and in Barca style for me.

Maybe it is me then. I did not enjoy the game one bit. I did not like his decisions. I am not convinced, but I understand that we had a very poor summer.

I would like to hear what the rest of this forum think.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
There were very few clear cut chances until Messi woke the game up with his FK and came alive individually. The team just doesn't look strong at all, especially in midfield. Definitely get a feeling that we'll be exposed come spring, and it might be ugly too. What is this team gonna do when we can't rely on an own goal to break the deadlock or Messi to put in a beast performance?

The creativity in this side is shockingly barren. We only had Messi who didn't even do anything till the 2nd half, and Deulofeu who was lumping in inaccurate cross after cross.

EV needs to cut these bullshit experiments out ASAP, drop the midfielders that can't perform (Rakitic and Gomes), and stick to the fluid system we've used for years with Messi at the focal point. Messi was ridiculously isolated up top until Pique's red (which led to Masche subbing for Deulofeu) after which he started playing out wide since we had no other player to provide width. He should play closer to the midfield and on the perimeter of buildup because nothing will be created unless he's in the deeper zones to initiate it with his cutting 1-2 through lines of midfielders.

Home of Barca Fans