Ernesto Valverde - V1

BarcaOG

Banned
ill admit that at the beginning of the season i was thoroughly unconvinced but he has gradually won me over and i cant but be satisfied with the great work he has done with (up to coutinho's signing and dembele's recovery, and a horribly off-form suarez) a fairly limited squad.

Horatio

You're welcome
ill admit that at the beginning of the season i was thoroughly unconvinced but he has gradually won me over and i cant but be satisfied with the great work he has done with (up to coutinho's signing and dembele's recovery, and a horribly off-form suarez) a fairly limited squad.

Don't think he had much to do with Coutinho's signing.

BarcaOG

Banned

right--my point is not that he helped sign coutinho, but that before we signed him valverde was working with a fairly thin squad that was messi-dependent since suarez was off form, dembele was injured, and we had only denis/delou/paco to help leo out.

xXKonan

While this squad is considered one of the more weaker ones in recent seasons, it's still the best squad he's ever had. He was hamstrung to either low budgets or having to promote from within/buying Basque only players at Bilbao.

Despite never having the chance to spend big bucks on players, His greatest strengths ended up helping us big time not just on a tactical side but also knowing how to get more out of his players and figuring out who deserves to stay and who goes.

He's probably well aware of Coutinho, even if he didn't have much of a say but to him it's more options and a good chance of finally transitioning from heavily relying on Iniesta to more of a Xavi role like under Lucho's first season.

BarçaBarça

I am wondering: Will he have a say in the possibility of buying Griezmann?

As many have pointed out, it could force his hand a little in terms a starting-11 that might be more offensive than he would like, or at least make the man-management of the squad harder, because more superstars would need to be benched once in a while.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I am wondering: Will he have a say in the possibility of buying Griezmann?

As many have pointed out, it could force his hand a little in terms a starting-11 that might be more offensive than he would like, or at least make the man-management of the squad harder, because more superstars would need to be benched once in a while.

No idea, but it was reported he wanted Griezmann last summer, but it wasn't possible to sign him. Obviously it could all be MD and Sport trying to make it seem like it's his wish rather than the board's.

Degane

I embarrassed my points of past managers (Tata Martino anyone?) but in any case, the team looks more solid but less flashy under Valverde. The 2nd half will be more important imo. I will reserve judgement for truly tough games such next game against ATM, Valencia, and Champions League knockouts.

Horatio

You're welcome
I embarrassed my points of past managers (Tata Martino anyone?) but in any case, the team looks more solid but less flashy under Valverde. The 2nd half will be more important imo. I will reserve judgement for truly tough games such next game against ATM, Valencia, and Champions League knockouts.

Degane didn't get the memo.

One thing I'll say is that if we want to win the CL, we'll have to do better in tough away games than we did against Juve, at least on the offensive end. 0-0 isn't the greatest result. That away goal is crucial. We rarely concede so even one away goal is enough.

Last edited:

henias

Degane didn't get the memo.

The game against Chelsea will definitely be a good test, even though they arent doing too well at the moment. It will be a massive confidence boost if we win. Some of us doesnt want to get overly complacent like Madrid, which is understandable enough. Nothing wrong with that.

Horatio

You're welcome
The game against Chelsea will definitely be a good test, even though they arent doing too well at the moment. It will be a massive confidence boost if we win. Some of us doesnt want to get overly complacent like Madrid, which is understandable enough. Nothing wrong with that.

A good test of what? What is to be tested?

I hope the players (both new and old), Messi especially, are ultra motivated to avenge the 2012 bullshit. I think they will be.

I'm much more optimistic about the Chelsea tie than I am about the CL as a whole.

Last edited:

henias

A good test of what? What is to be tested?

Chelsea has always caused us serious problems, based on our head to head meetings with them. Perhaps you have short-term memory? I know this Chelsea side is not as strong as they used to be, but we still cannot underestimate them? So spare me the high horse.

Horatio

You're welcome
Chelsea has always caused us serious problems, based on our head to head meetings with them. Perhaps you have short-term memory? I know this Chelsea side is not as strong as they used to be, but we still cannot underestimate them? So spare me the high horse.

So if Chelsea always caused us serious problems, what are you going to conclude when they cause us serious problems this time again?
Who says anything about underestimating them?

And what high horse? Asked you a simple question. Don't know why you consider everything a personal attack.

henias

So if Chelsea always caused us serious problems, what are you going to conclude when they cause us serious problems this time again?
Who says anything about underestimating them?

And what high horse? Asked you a simple question. Don't know why you consider everything a personal attack.

That's because u think everything will be a comfortable win, not a personal attack but just stating ur one dimensional type thinking. I nvr said they will cause us serious problem, I only said they have caused us problem in previous occasions so they should nvr be underestimated, that's all. While I'm definitely much confident with Barca getting through this time round, I still wouldn't treat it as an easy game.

You are the one getting all defensive and uptight.

Home of Barca Fans