Ernesto Valverde - V1

UEFA_Barça_Chris

o Fenômeno
can anyone tell me why we are playing a copa del rey final in april before a potential CL semi?? is it fking tebas again?? the final was always played after the beg of may and we could have possibly used that weekend to rest players before the CL first leg.

Wow the final is on national drug test day

khaled_a_d

Sevilla ain't nothing special in La Liga this season. Atletico and Betis scored 5 against them. And they will be playing vs Bayern on tuesday. Don't you think you're making the game a little harder than it is? I'm sure Mina would handle it well if he'd play.

Sevilla lost vs Atletico, lost vs Betis, lost vs Valencia. Received 12 goals at home in these games vs teams of even lower quality than us.

Yeah, they can lose bad but they also can have great games, Mina is fairly young and ddidn't play enough minutes, I don't think it will be smart decision to play him in such a game that if he fucks up we could be punished badly. Specially when it seems coach doesn't have full faith in him anyway

henias

Just not the right coach for the long term. Grinding out results but too narrow minded and lacking vision. Couldnt imagine what's it like to have so many new talents next season. Bartomeu is doing a great job giving him great resources but he is very repulsed by young players or players who dont suit his style. Simply can't see a great future in his hands.

BarçaBarça

Just not the right coach for the long term. Grinding out results but too narrow minded and lacking vision. Couldnt imagine what's it like to have so many new talents next season. Bartomeu is doing a great job giving him great resources but he is very repulsed by young players or players who dont suit his style. Simply can't see a great future in his hands.

Like playing Dembele, Coutinho, Messi and Paco in the same game? Or is it about Alena not getting a lot of playing time?
He hasn't had great resources up until now. He has had a starplayer ripped out of the team and no replacement for 6 months.
After that he had a vice-captain ripped out of the team (would have played instead of Busi recently), and he looks to get the captain ripped away from his team as well.
Players doesn't just 'click' like when you field them in FIFA, and Valverde has had almost no time together with the complete squad, and therefore it is far too early to jump to conclusions about for example his work with youth. Given his comments he said that the big squad was a problem, because he would rather fill up with B-players when needed, so that doesn't sound too bad for youth in the future, tbh.

If we get Griezmann in the summer the squad is beginning to look complete, but so far there is nothing else to say than he has done fantastic.
Would you rather be 3rd in the league playing attacking total-football, which would spark hope for dominance of the games and title-challenges in the next seasons? I say give him more time to prove, that he can play inspiring with the players he has and will get.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Just yesterday Valverde has said that he would like to finish La Liga without a loss so don't expect many players to be rested until the end.

henias

Like playing Dembele, Coutinho, Messi and Paco in the same game? Or is it about Alena not getting a lot of playing time?
He hasn't had great resources up until now. He has had a starplayer ripped out of the team and no replacement for 6 months.
After that he had a vice-captain ripped out of the team (would have played instead of Busi recently), and he looks to get the captain ripped away from his team as well.
Players doesn't just 'click' like when you field them in FIFA, and Valverde has had almost no time together with the complete squad, and therefore it is far too early to jump to conclusions about for example his work with youth. Given his comments he said that the big squad was a problem, because he would rather fill up with B-players when needed, so that doesn't sound too bad for youth in the future, tbh.

If we get Griezmann in the summer the squad is beginning to look complete, but so far there is nothing else to say than he has done fantastic.
Would you rather be 3rd in the league playing attacking total-football, which would spark hope for dominance of the games and title-challenges in the next seasons? I say give him more time to prove, that he can play inspiring with the players he has and will get.

Nah. Stop giving excuses he hasnt got great resources. That transformation period where we had to get past is long gone. Mina, Coutinho, Dembele, Semedo are all very great talents but they were just making way for Paulinho, Gomes, Vidal. EV had plenty of time this season to field some of them together but he just refused to try them even against the weakest teams.

I guarantee it would be the same next season. He admitted he prefers a small squad but who doesn't? Problem is he is at a big club with big ambition and he has to make use of every resource given to him. Bartomeu is really doing a very good job tbh, and luckily he is managing the player transfers as of now. We got Coutinho, Mina earlier than ever imagined and even got Dembele at the start of the seaon after Neymar's departure. I cant imagine what would it be like to get Griezmann, EV is going to have a hard time dropping Suarez and some player will have to give way or either that Griezmann would be benched for most parts.

I never said I would be playing total-attacking football, there's no such thing as total-attacking football. When we are leading comfortably then you gotta put in fresh players with energy. But the decision to put in Iniesta for Dembele was as pointless as it can get, Iniesta with a bunch of workhorses for what? How they click together? And Paco upfront is useless and so what if Iniesta passes to him, he loses the ball. I would rather put a bunch of workhorse and Dembele and Messi upfront so they can counter effectively. Even Pique can have a rest with his bad knee.

I have backed Valverde for fielding Dembele against Chelsea and I think that's the boldest move seen by him this season and it showed in the field. Dembele was fresh and energetic and produced a goal effectively.

But the tough Chelsea match is already over, and it's now the recovery period to let Dembele grind with the team with more minutes and he would definitely come in useful. If u want him to defend, fine, let him adapt more. Some of his biazzare decisions just comes in bits and pieces every match, but if think about it, he just usually sticks to the few players like Iniesta, Paulinho, Busquets. Even Paulinho claimed he's a little tired. And we need Iniesta and Busquets fit. Yesterday was perfect to just field in Alena, because players were somewhat tired and Alena would be putting all his energy in the last 20 mins or so.

Im sorry, I really just don't think he is the coach to lead such a big team. And we'll be getting players like De Jong, Arthur? Forget about it, they dont suit his defensive style and would see their minutes even lesser when Madrid come strong next sesson. If he is already so scared with a massive 11 points league cushion, I cant imagine next season if Madrid tails behind us in he league.

If he is afraid to have one loss, then I suggest this would eventually kill us in the CL. It would be a repeat of Lucho's season striving to have a perfect run of games, but it's pointless.

blackrum

Just yesterday Valverde has said that he would like to finish La Liga without a loss so don't expect many players to be rested until the end.

He would hardly say the opppsite, though.

Bartomeu is doing a great job giving him great resources

Why was nobody of that opinion after the transfer deadline closed last summer? #BartomeuDimision etc.

Last edited:

Havesaks

We almost secured the double and have a decent shot for the treble - and you are trash talking the guy? We are in such a good position because of a ridiculous fantastic manager performance through the whole year. This man should be praised instead being trashtalked by a spoiled brat like you.

Every barca fan was frightened in the start of the season because of Neymars catastrophic departure, Dembele injury, no midfield reinforcement and big concerns about Semedo/Roberto... do you even realise the importance of a 220million player like Neymar in our team?

Yeah, he has been more pragmatic than Lucho, tata, tito and pep, but thats exactly what this team needed and he does everything to secure all the titles he can get, he plays it safe. If at least the league is won than he earned himself the right to be headcoach next year as well. This guy has the potential to hang around for the next 4-5 year maybe more. I get the feeling he will integrate our younger talents and play more Barca-like when the time is right.

Concerning Dembele, he is such a wonderful talent, but like EV said, he has a lot of defensive and tactical flaws and is yet to unexperienced to play regularly.

Windhook

We are in a good position to seal La Liga around 33/34 week, then Valverde might experiment with the likes of Mina, Alena, Gomes, etc. Honestly I don't see it happening much, we are still unbeaten in La Liga.

henias

We almost secured the double and have a decent shot for the treble - and you are trash talking the guy? We are in such a good position because of a ridiculous fantastic manager performance through the whole year. This man should be praised instead being trashtalked by a spoiled brat like you.

Every barca fan was frightened in the start of the season because of Neymars catastrophic departure, Dembele injury, no midfield reinforcement and big concerns about Semedo/Roberto... do you even realise the importance of a 220million player like Neymar in our team?

Yeah, he has been more pragmatic than Lucho, tata, tito and pep, but thats exactly what this team needed and he does everything to secure all the titles he can get, he plays it safe. If at least the league is won than he earned himself the right to be headcoach next year as well. This guy has the potential to hang around for the next 4-5 year maybe more. I get the feeling he will integrate our younger talents and play more Barca-like when the time is right.

Concerning Dembele, he is such a wonderful talent, but like EV said, he has a lot of defensive and tactical flaws and is yet to unexperienced to play regularly.

Spoiled brat? What are you talking about? I know people are happy that we are unbeaten and all, but I just think this type of conservativeness will hurt us in the long run. I don't ask for a treble or double, but given the circumstances, I feel we are in a very favourable position to give our all in the CL since we are 11 points clear. It's a huge advantage and it would be silly not to exploit that. If we dont have that 11 points clear, then I'm fine w it and dont ask for it then we should play safe if we have to.

Neymar is talented but he disrupts the fluidity of our play alot and losing him definitely has its advantage and people think losing Neymar is the end of the world. It's not. We also got Dembele and a RB replacement Semedo after his departure. Dembele also played quite a role in our triumph over Juventus which started to give us a better outlook this season.

Like I said, EV did great at the start but now he needs to open up the squad more, league cushion, potential CL. I know he wants to secure the double, but he needs to be more realisitic here because it's impossible to throw away the league right now. Madrid had a terrible start and Atletico stumbled along the way, I mean how often do we get this poor form from the La Liga giants? The risk of losing it is almost negligible.

Let me ask you, if Madrid tails us behind the league next season or even lead the table, would you think EV would think about integrating the young talents? He would treat every game like do or die, be it strongest or weakest teams, sorry, I simply dont see it happening. Plus these young talents doesnt fit his defensive profile. You think he would even risk it? He doesnt even dare to take risk now.

Subbing Dembele for Iniesta is as pointless as it gets and he literally just dumped all the workhorses inside, Vidal, Gomes, Paulinho, Rakitic, Iniesta, 5 men midfield? tell me what on earth is this? How can Iniesta be able to connect with them in any way? I'd rather just leave Dembele and Messi as two attacking players upfront with these workhorses. He doesnt even know what he's doing.

If he subbed Gomes in for the last 5-10 mins, he might as well just let Alena play and it would have made no difference.

Last edited:
DYpuE-SXkAAkWvP.jpg

Coutinho the "midfielder" playing further up the field than the striker Paco. Such is life.

No wonder we had no control yesterday, Rakitic was the only one actually sticking to his position and playing in midfield.

BarçaBarça

Nah. Stop giving excuses he hasnt got great resources. That transformation period where we had to get past is long gone. Mina, Coutinho, Dembele, Semedo are all very great talents but they were just making way for Paulinho, Gomes, Vidal. EV had plenty of time this season to field some of them together but he just refused to try them even against the weakest teams.

The thing is, that the transformation period has been constant since he joined us, as I pointed out in my first post: How many months has he had with a complete squad to imprint a playing-style and get the optimal out of the squad? 1, maybe 2, months, and even in that time Semedo has been injured, which could mean a total re-shuffle of the midfield, with Roberto playing consistently there.

As for the good old debate about Valverde hating Dembele and Coutinho and loving Gomes and Paulinho, I have said “wait and see” before the last run of games, and up until now he has proven that he is not scared of playing both. Dembele has played in the important games, just as he did before the injury. Coutinho is also integrated close to right-away in the starting-11, what more do you ask?

If you are asking for Mina to play more than Vermaelen, I’m sure you can see that it is such a minor criticism of Valverde, that it is just ‘I prefer this player slightly better and hope to see him more in the future’, rather than a serious attack on the way Valverde manages and sets up the team. Same with Alena.

I guarantee it would be the same next season. He admitted he prefers a small squad but who doesn't? Problem is he is at a big club with big ambition and he has to make use of every resource given to him. Bartomeu is really doing a very good job tbh, and luckily he is managing the player transfers as of now. We got Coutinho, Mina earlier than ever imagined and even got Dembele at the start of the seaon after Neymar's departure. I cant imagine what would it be like to get Griezmann, EV is going to have a hard time dropping Suarez and some player will have to give way or either that Griezmann would be benched for most parts.
Yes, the squad looks better if Griezmann joins, but cut Valverde some slack: We lost Neymar + lost Mascherano + our captain is flirting with leaving – that is not minor incidents which can be overlooked 2 weeks after – it is the kind of stuff which takes a season to rebound from, but Valverde has done it right away and hit the ground running – therefore he should be praised.

I never said I would be playing total-attacking football, there's no such thing as total-attacking football. When we are leading comfortably then you gotta put in fresh players with energy. But the decision to put in Iniesta for Dembele was as pointless as it can get, Iniesta with a bunch of workhorses for what? How they click together? And Paco upfront is useless and so what if Iniesta passes to him, he loses the ball. I would rather put a bunch of workhorse and Dembele and Messi upfront so they can counter effectively. Even Pique can have a rest with his bad knee.
So, if Valverde doesn’t micro-manage the team the way you like, he should be criticized in general or what? He won the game, the Suarez-sub Paco scored a goal, Dembele played the majority of the match and is better eased in right now, Coutinho played the majority of the match and is better eased in right now + we had +10 chances to score in the first half, so on another day it could easily have been a thrashing. You are very hard to please if every minor detail matters in a great way, when evaluating a coach.

I have backed Valverde for fielding Dembele against Chelsea and I think that's the boldest move seen by him this season and it showed in the field. Dembele was fresh and energetic and produced a goal effectively.
But the tough Chelsea match is already over, and it's now the recovery period to let Dembele grind with the team with more minutes and he would definitely come in useful. If u want him to defend, fine, let him adapt more. Some of his biazzare decisions just comes in bits and pieces every match, but if think about it, he just usually sticks to the few players like Iniesta, Paulinho, Busquets. Even Paulinho claimed he's a little tired. And we need Iniesta and Busquets fit. Yesterday was perfect to just field in Alena, because players were somewhat tired and Alena would be putting all his energy in the last 20 mins or so.
Paulinho played fine, don’t you agree? Alena getting minutes would be great, imo, and I suspect he would if we were 4-0 up, but we weren’t. He could also get minutes when the league is sealed way before leaguematches are over.

Im sorry, I really just don't think he is the coach to lead such a big team. And we'll be getting players like De Jong, Arthur? Forget about it, they dont suit his defensive style and would see their minutes even lesser when Madrid come strong next sesson. If he is already so scared with a massive 11 points league cushion, I cant imagine next season if Madrid tails behind us in he league.
If he is afraid to have one loss, then I suggest this would eventually kill us in the CL. It would be a repeat of Lucho's season striving to have a perfect run of games, but it's pointless.
But you are jumping to conclusion based on nothing at all: When he fields the strongest 11 in the league in a CL-match-period you can criticize him, not now based on media-comments.
And all we have seen this season is the exact opposite of your conclusion: He wins the league convincingly, knows what Messi can provide and capitalizes of it in a smart way – you can interpret that as Messi saving him, or him knowing what his assets can do and how to utilize them, all this during a complete shitstorm of Neymar leaving, everyone hating on our summer signings, injury crises. He doesn’t even do it by drawing against the big teams and winning against the rest: He beats every big team on his way, while claiming the title in the end – if that is not a big-team coach, what is?

Home of Barca Fans