Ernesto Valverde - V1

M

MessiCam

We really didn't have any right side in past year, it was Roberto and that's just it. Right now we actually have one and it made us more balanced. he tried almost everyone there and tries to make the best out of it depending on the situation, doesn't always get it right but usually it plays a role in our game, that was non-existent in last year

I don't think Gomes was really that bad playing as RM in Atletico game and from a tactical standpoint I think he accomplished what EV expected him to do - give us width and help keeping possesion (something which let's say Deulofeu wouldn't do against an agressive opponent because he would just try to dribble past everyone and give away possesion). He played as a wide midfielder not winger so of course people expecting him having an offensive effect were not pleased but I don't think this was his role. Maybe tactical weapon is wrong word but I believe he did offer us a tactical flexibility and starting him in that position ahead of Deulofeu was the right decision.

The reason I call it a hindrance is because nothing even remotely concrete has been decided down that flank whether it be RW, RM or RB. Valverde has been winging it, pun intended, on that side and calling it a tactical weapon is a big stretch. That said, there definitely is more balance with Messi vacating what had become a pseudo-wing position.

JamDav1982

Valverde has chosen players on the 'right' for different opposition and has made changes in game that have worked also.

Semedo has been decent and strong defensively while Roberto has been better going forward and had impact in some important moments.

He doesnt seem to trust Deulofeu all that much but likes his pace in some games while he has chose Gomes rather than a RW or RM in games he has wanted a bit more physicality and probably height in the team.

All being fit right now I would bet he would have Roberto RB and Dembele RW.

Barca Boyz

I think we've talking some step forward, though we can't deny the fact that we have a lot to do if we really want to win trophy this season

M

MessiCam

Just want to leave this here based on a discussion in the Denis Suarez thread

In our setup Busquets, despite not having the necessary skill, cannot act as a deep lying playmaker due to our build up from the back. The diamond, as said before, produces better football than the flat 4-4-2 due to Busquets having a central midfield around him with Messi at the tip of the diamond. Still not a fan of it though because all the width comes from the wing backs and Messi is too deep to be really effective.

JamDav1982

Just want to leave this here based on a discussion in the Denis Suarez thread

In our setup Busquets, despite not having the necessary skill, cannot act as a deep lying playmaker due to our build up from the back. The diamond, as said before, produces better football than the flat 4-4-2 due to Busquets having a central midfield around him with Messi at the tip of the diamond. Still not a fan of it though because all the width comes from the wing backs and Messi is too deep to be really effective.

What relevance does that have to any Denis Suarez discussion?

xXKonan

Why did he leave?
Despite a strong start it all fell apart and he had issues with the Board over there due to failed promises and their were also rumors the players weren't all that convinced with his system.

Like I said they had a real strong start over there but it completely fell apart and never recovered.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Despite a strong start it all fell apart and he had issues with the Board over there due to failed promises and their were also rumors the players weren't all that convinced with his system.

Like I said they had a real strong start over there but it completely fell apart and never recovered.

Cheers. They still have a solid place in the league so I was wondering.

xXKonan

Cheers. They still have a solid place in the league so I was wondering.
From what the fans say they were playing some good football at the start of the season but after I believe after the 3-0 nil loss to PSG it went downhill from there, the system got worse and it became confusing.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
He only cares about the next match and keeping his chair. That much is proven already.

What can we do though? Keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best is only option.

JamDav1982

He only cares about the next match and keeping his chair. That much is proven already.

What can we do though? Keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best is only option.

Rubbish.

He has fairly limited options has rotated most players and even Iniesta has been watching his minutes.

Home of Barca Fans