Ernesto Valverde - V1

JamDav1982

There were very few clear cut chances until Messi woke the game up with his FK and came alive individually. The team just doesn't look strong at all, especially in midfield. Definitely get a feeling that we'll be exposed come spring, and it might be ugly too. What is this team gonna do when we can't rely on an own goal to break the deadlock or Messi to put in a beast performance?

The creativity in this side is shockingly barren. We only had Messi who didn't even do anything till the 2nd half, and Deulofeu who was lumping in inaccurate cross after cross.

EV needs to cut these bullshit experiments out ASAP, drop the midfielders that can't perform (Rakitic and Gomes), and stick to the fluid system we've used for years with Messi at the focal point. Messi was ridiculously isolated up top until Pique's red (which led to Masche subbing for Deulofeu) after which he started playing out wide since we had no other player to provide width. He should play closer to the midfield and on the perimeter of buildup because nothing will be created unless he's in the deeper zones to initiate it with his cutting 1-2 through lines of midfielders.

Created 14 chances in the first half and six of them on target.

Busi and Paulinho in the middle were dominating the game and moving ball quickly.

Not sure how it will translate against better teams but there was plenty of creativity in that team today for this game.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think we played bad. Olympiakos sat deep and we still created plenty of chances.

Issue is with Valverde's selections that betray his lack of judgement and vision. Denis needed to play today and he should have called up Alena at least and give him 20-30 mins. instead of parading Rakitic and Gomes.

xXKonan

I wish he chooses his lineups and bench options subs etc on players who deserve to play.

Out of the starters the ones who are not in form at all or are inconsistent.

Rakitic
Alba
Pique
Suarez

With Pique and especially Rakitic they deserve to be benched long term. Pique's head is clearly not where it should be and Rakitic we all know his issues. Digne and Mascherano deserve to be playing more. With Rakitic I would rather have Roberto,Paulinho,Denis,Alena etc play his minutes instead.

Tactics aren't my main issue with Valverde, like I said above I wish he would put his foot down and realize just because the likes of Rakitic and Pique are big names, it doesn't mean that should be the sole reason they should be starting.

LeeRomeno

We have really never used B players in CL group stages unless we have qualified. Don't expect anything bar our best lineup in return leg as well. We may see rotations in Copa and last group stage game. Or maybe if we secure spot already vs Sporting at home.

khaled_a_d

Other than 1st 15 minutes of 2nd half we were really dominant, opponent isn't tough obviously but we created enough chance but weren't clinical with it.
Gerard is proving to be good addition, if/when he is able to be better with his passing & finishing then he will open and stretch things up more for us
Really like our group of fullbacks atm, Alba/Digna and Semedo/Roberto are very good bunch who provide us with different things. Digne need more playing IMHO

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Other than 1st 15 minutes of 2nd half we were really dominant, opponent isn't tough obviously but we created enough chance but weren't clinical with it.
Gerard is proving to be good addition, if/when he is able to be better with his passing & finishing then he will open and stretch things up more for us
Really like our group of fullbacks atm, Alba/Digna and Semedo/Roberto are very good bunch who provide us with different things. Digne need more playing IMHO

Re. fullbacks we are covered. Palencia and Cucu waiting too.

Barcilliant

Valverde reminds me of Benitez. Tactically sound but uninspiring. We are getting the results but their seems to be no long term strategy, especially when it comes to developing young players.

As many have mentioned Semedo and Denis omissions have been baffling. Also why no Roberto in midfield? I cannot see us winning a Cl for sure.

I have a feeling that if we get a string of bad results we will not recover. Also we are going to get blown away vs better, stronger teams.

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
Valverde reminds me of Benitez. Tactically sound but uninspiring. We are getting the results but their seems to be no long term strategy, especially when it comes to developing young players.

As many have mentioned Semedo and Denis omissions have been baffling. Also why no Roberto in midfield? I cannot see us winning a Cl for sure.

I have a feeling that if we get a string of bad results we will not recover. Also we are going to get blown away vs better, stronger teams.

It's a long season, Semedo and Denis will get a lot of minutes.

Roberto is impatient, he gets the ball and he runs forward, RB position is more suited for him.

We already played two strong teams and weren't blown away.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Varverde's first 100 days as Barca manager in numbers

1508440660960.jpg

Think they are wrong on Arda Vermaelen. They played some minutes.

dostoevskij

Varverde's first 100 days as Barca manager in numbers

1508440660960.jpg

Think they are wrong on Arda Vermaelen. They played some minutes.

on Arda definitely not, he hasnt played a single minute for us, except for the first liga game he did not even make the bench at all!

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
They forgot to mention that our 2nd best goalscorer are own goals.
It's a very good start for Valverde but as guys already said elsewhere Tata and Tito, Lucho too in 2015 had that start but we fell apart eventually. I can't predict anything at this point. Will Dembele be that big thing we need? Will Suarez wake up? Will we get some useful signing in January?

If we do survive next difficult months and maintain the lead in La Liga I do have a feeling we'll pull it off and return the trophy in Barcelona. CL is anyone's guess. Always was.

serghei

I'm losing faith in him for not giving Alena a chance. If not now, when the midfield is exposed, when then? Just give the kid a string of 2-3 games agains weaker sides at home FFS.

He is a fucking coward if he doesn't do it when it's a small risk big reward case. The situation is basically lined up to give Alena the debut in La Liga.

Last edited:

Windhook

I don't follow closely Barca B in recent weeks, but judging from the lineups Carles Alena is integral part and you know the B squad isn't playing in third tier anymore. It was much easier to move Alena from B to A squad last season. I have trust in Valverde, he is playing safe for the moment. Not a coward, more of a pragmatic. He is aware our squad is missing some pieces, that were unfortunately not signed this summer.

serghei

I don't follow closely Barca B in recent weeks, but judging from the lineups Carles Alena is integral part and you know the B squad isn't playing in third tier anymore. It was much easier to move Alena from B to A squad last season. I have trust in Valverde, he is playing safe for the moment. Not a coward, more of a pragmatic. He is aware our squad is missing some pieces, that were unfortunately not signed this summer.

If he doesn't win the league or the CL and promotes no young player in the squad form Barca B he should get fired next summer. We need a manager who can do both at the same time, win titles and bring new blood in the team.

Signing young players is fine, but not promoting great talent from within while failing all objectives would be a fatal error for Valverde.

Home of Barca Fans