User Tag List

Page 104 of 110 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106 ... LastLast
Results 1,546 to 1,560 of 1639

Thread: Ernesto Valverde

  1. #1546
    Senior Member
    khaled_a_d's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Cairo
    Posts
    7,357
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MessiCam View Post
    I think it's been more of a hindrance than anything else because nobody has nailed down the spot. Against Atleti, Valverde had little choice but to go attacking in search of a goal. I don't know why he thought playing Gomes on the right side of midfield was a good idea. His performance improved dramatically after the substitions.
    We really didn't have any right side in past year, it was Roberto and that's just it. Right now we actually have one and it made us more balanced. he tried almost everyone there and tries to make the best out of it depending on the situation, doesn't always get it right but usually it plays a role in our game, that was non-existent in last year

  2. #1547
    Senior Member
    Messi983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    3,980
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MessiCam View Post
    I think it's been more of a hindrance than anything else because nobody has nailed down the spot. Against Atleti, Valverde had little choice but to go attacking in search of a goal. I don't know why he thought playing Gomes on the right side of midfield was a good idea. His performance improved dramatically after the substitions.
    I don't think Gomes was really that bad playing as RM in Atletico game and from a tactical standpoint I think he accomplished what EV expected him to do - give us width and help keeping possesion (something which let's say Deulofeu wouldn't do against an agressive opponent because he would just try to dribble past everyone and give away possesion). He played as a wide midfielder not winger so of course people expecting him having an offensive effect were not pleased but I don't think this was his role. Maybe tactical weapon is wrong word but I believe he did offer us a tactical flexibility and starting him in that position ahead of Deulofeu was the right decision.

  3. #1548
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    585
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by khaled_a_d View Post
    We really didn't have any right side in past year, it was Roberto and that's just it. Right now we actually have one and it made us more balanced. he tried almost everyone there and tries to make the best out of it depending on the situation, doesn't always get it right but usually it plays a role in our game, that was non-existent in last year
    Quote Originally Posted by Messi983 View Post
    I don't think Gomes was really that bad playing as RM in Atletico game and from a tactical standpoint I think he accomplished what EV expected him to do - give us width and help keeping possesion (something which let's say Deulofeu wouldn't do against an agressive opponent because he would just try to dribble past everyone and give away possesion). He played as a wide midfielder not winger so of course people expecting him having an offensive effect were not pleased but I don't think this was his role. Maybe tactical weapon is wrong word but I believe he did offer us a tactical flexibility and starting him in that position ahead of Deulofeu was the right decision.
    The reason I call it a hindrance is because nothing even remotely concrete has been decided down that flank whether it be RW, RM or RB. Valverde has been winging it, pun intended, on that side and calling it a tactical weapon is a big stretch. That said, there definitely is more balance with Messi vacating what had become a pseudo-wing position.

  4. #1549
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    14,857
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Valverde has chosen players on the 'right' for different opposition and has made changes in game that have worked also.

    Semedo has been decent and strong defensively while Roberto has been better going forward and had impact in some important moments.

    He doesnt seem to trust Deulofeu all that much but likes his pace in some games while he has chose Gomes rather than a RW or RM in games he has wanted a bit more physicality and probably height in the team.

    All being fit right now I would bet he would have Roberto RB and Dembele RW.

  5. #1550
    New signing

    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think we've talking some step forward, though we can't deny the fact that we have a lot to do if we really want to win trophy this season

  6. #1551
    Barcaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold... and I don't know the names of the players.
    Posts
    25,902
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  7. #1552
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    585
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just want to leave this here based on a discussion in the Denis Suarez thread

    In our setup Busquets, despite not having the necessary skill, cannot act as a deep lying playmaker due to our build up from the back. The diamond, as said before, produces better football than the flat 4-4-2 due to Busquets having a central midfield around him with Messi at the tip of the diamond. Still not a fan of it though because all the width comes from the wing backs and Messi is too deep to be really effective.

  8. #1553
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    14,857
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MessiCam View Post
    Just want to leave this here based on a discussion in the Denis Suarez thread

    In our setup Busquets, despite not having the necessary skill, cannot act as a deep lying playmaker due to our build up from the back. The diamond, as said before, produces better football than the flat 4-4-2 due to Busquets having a central midfield around him with Messi at the tip of the diamond. Still not a fan of it though because all the width comes from the wing backs and Messi is too deep to be really effective.
    What relevance does that have to any Denis Suarez discussion?

  9. #1554
    Senior Member
    Xaviniesta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,133
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oscar Garcia just left St. Ettiene

  10. #1555
    Senior Member
    khaled_a_d's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Cairo
    Posts
    7,357
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good for him, he might get a job in Everton

  11. #1556
    Barcaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold... and I don't know the names of the players.
    Posts
    25,902
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaviniesta View Post
    Oscar Garcia just left St. Ettiene
    Why did he leave?

  12. #1557
    Senior Member
    xXKonan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Bartlesville, Oklahoma
    Posts
    9,448
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barcaman View Post
    Why did he leave?
    Despite a strong start it all fell apart and he had issues with the Board over there due to failed promises and their were also rumors the players weren't all that convinced with his system.

    Like I said they had a real strong start over there but it completely fell apart and never recovered.

  13. #1558
    Barcaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold... and I don't know the names of the players.
    Posts
    25,902
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xXKonan View Post
    Despite a strong start it all fell apart and he had issues with the Board over there due to failed promises and their were also rumors the players weren't all that convinced with his system.

    Like I said they had a real strong start over there but it completely fell apart and never recovered.
    Cheers. They still have a solid place in the league so I was wondering.

  14. #1559
    Senior Member
    xXKonan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Bartlesville, Oklahoma
    Posts
    9,448
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barcaman View Post
    Cheers. They still have a solid place in the league so I was wondering.
    From what the fans say they were playing some good football at the start of the season but after I believe after the 3-0 nil loss to PSG it went downhill from there, the system got worse and it became confusing.

  15. #1560
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    585
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Valverde needs to piss off already...