Ernesto Valverde - V1

khaled_a_d

Thirdly, in this game we had those very same out for form players play at a high level. Piqué, Rakitic and Alcácer which left only Suárez being poor. That’s 91% of the team playing to the level expected of them. Sevilla had their tails between their legs, they couldn’t find their way out of their own half for large parts of those first 30 minutes let alone string passes together. We get a deserved goal and guess what happens? Immediate tactical change which lets them back in the game. They get an equaliser and guess what... We make another tactical change which results in us bombarding them again and we score. Guess what happens next? We sit back and allow them time on the ball again. It’s small club mentality at a high level and not something Barça should ever aspire to regardless of which 11 is in the field.

Those first minutes is also evidence that good football can be played regardless of not having an elite 11... So I can make a good argument that it’s the mentality of the coach which leads to these drop offs.

Edit: This is what Valverde has to say after the game...

Can you spot the condradiction? I agree that he doesn’t have to apologise for winning...

1-Those first minutes shows that you need quality in order to play good football, when the whole team -almost- was good we we able to play good.
2-Coaches would build their game based on the form of the team overall, This is probably first truly good game from both Pique & Rakitic
3-You are blaming us in conceding a goal due to change in tactics? we were attacking, giving huge space and that led to 2 vs 2 situation that Semedo barely saved and they got a corner and boom,scored equalizer. attacking and beautiful football always lead to this space in defense and in general, we can't afford it with Pique form (and when Alba goes mediocrity mode)
4-What contradiction, when we needed a goal we dominated and played high pressure, but when we didn't needed we has done the right thing when you consider the stat of the team, defend your lead and don't give space to opponent.
5-You are also ignoring the age of the team, those 30 minutes will be tough to sustain in 90 minutes with 7 players aged 28 or older.

M

MessiCam

1-Those first minutes shows that you need quality in order to play good football, when the whole team -almost- was good we we able to play good.
2-Coaches would build their game based on the form of the team overall, This is probably first truly good game from both Pique & Rakitic
3-You are blaming us in conceding a goal due to change in tactics? we were attacking, giving huge space and that led to 2 vs 2 situation that Semedo barely saved and they got a corner and boom,scored equalizer. attacking and beautiful football always lead to this space in defense and in general, we can't afford it with Pique form (and when Alba goes mediocrity mode)
4-What contradiction, when we needed a goal we dominated and played high pressure, but when we didn't needed we has done the right thing when you consider the stat of the team, defend your lead and don't give space to opponent.
5-You are also ignoring the age of the team, those 30 minutes will be tough to sustain in 90 minutes with 7 players aged 28 or older.

I don’t know what to say anymore but all those things you’ve just listed is the managers fault.

And of course you go forward when you have possession of the ball. Their counter was as a result of good play and poor pressing from Barça. The contradiction is that he says they want to dominate by pressing high and winning the ball back... That didn’t happen and hasn’t happened since the early part of the season. Number one reason for the goal was allowing them to much possession in the first place.

As for the age thing. Another excuse... If their fitness levels aren’t up to standard it’s the coaches fault too. Robben is 33 and still patrols the pitch like a mad man.

serghei

Don't like the selections, don't like the game plan, don't like his words after the games. If he doesn't win La Liga or CL, he should be sacked at the end of the season. If he's playing for the results, he should be judged solely on them. Hard to argue with that logic, since he so far sacrifices part of our style and youth development to get those results.

La Liga and a good run in CL even without the title and he can continue. Anything less and he can go back to Bilbao for all I care.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

Their counter was as a result of good play and poor pressing from Barça.

Watch the last two minutes before the gooal, 8 Barca players was in Seville's half, non of their players was in ours, when Alba lost it we pressed at the very moment we lost the ball and pressed well too, but they have been able to get the ball out of their half and exposed the space in the back and became 2 against 2 situations.
And fitness of team is on coach? yeah age has nothing to do with it, a coach should make 7 players run more than they have done in past two years two months into the season.

khaled_a_d

Don't like the selections, don't like the game plan, don't like his words after the games. If he doesn't win La Liga or CL, he should be sacked at the end of the season. If he's playing for the results, he should be judged solely on them. Hard to argue with that logic, since he so far sacrifices part of our style and youth development to get those results.

La Liga and a good run in CL even without the title and he can continue. Anything less and he can go back to Bilbao for all I care.

I have a news for you, but even if he was playing the most beautiful brand of football he will get the axe if he doesn't win Liga or CL in his first year. talk about our style as much as you want, but our fans will held this team to highest standards when it come to trophies

gasgas

I don't like the conservative style.

This is the kind of guy who will be protecting a 1 goal lead against Madrid in el classico

BBZ8800

One more thing which Ernesto has added are longrange shots.
For years, no one except Messi and Raki here and there tried longrange shots.

Yesterday we have seen awesome attempts from Rakitic, Iniesta and Pique (hit a crossbar).

Some will say that Ernesto is stupid, but I see him as a return to a classic football.
He realized that we don't have Xavi and Iniesta anymore and he is moving away from some of Pep's ideas (shot only from inside of a box).

He added some muscles all over the field.
He strengthened the defense.
We have already added an arial threat after corners in Paulinho.
Now we have a new option no2 in some longshots.
I wouldn'tbe surprised with some crosses also.

People can say that we play ugly compared to Barca's in the last 10 years.
But EV has brought something new, some new formations, some new tactical options and a plan B etc.

Either EV is dumb or he realized the limitations of our squad and he is getting 120% out of them, plus he is trying some new ideas, solutions and a plan B.

The worst squad in the last 10-12 years with some truly average players.
And the best results in the last 10-12 years.

Interesting.

Last edited:

BBZ8800

Subs off Alcacer so we can watch Suarez keep defecating all over the field.

I just don't get it myself. Is he really afraid of Subbing off Suarez because he's a big name? or is he trying and hope keeping Suarez on would regain his confidence? man who the hell knows at this point.

He is trying to get Suarez back to life because when Suarez is good, he is insane.
It was visible a few times during the match how Ernesto is clapping and cheering Suarez after his mistakes.

Suarez is on paper, when on form, our 2nd best player.
Valverde is doing everything he can to get his form back or at least to get him at least close to his form.

He is trying to get Suarez back to life because when Suarez is good, he is insane.
It was visible a few times during the match how Ernesto is clapping and cheering Suarez after his mistakes.

Suarez is on paper, when on form, our 2nd best player.
Valverde is doing everything he can to get his form back or at least to get him at least close to his form.

Unfortunately it's not Suarez's form that has him playing poorly, he has just massively declined. Ever since the treble season he has been steadily declining, his finishing however was enough to prop him up as great player. Now that he's starting to lose that as well it's all but over for him. Even a demoralized, unfit Paco starting after being benched for a month finished his chances when he got them at made Luis look like a B team player. Right now Suarez is a direct detriment to our play and it's only a matter of time before his form starts costing us points. Literally anyone in our squad would be better than him right now.

The guy is about to turn 31 in January and has been steadily declining for the past two years. This formation isn't doing Messi and favours either, Messi has been at his best this season when he operates at as a false 9 in a 4-3-3 system. It's not like we were leaking goals in that system either, but we were scoring a lot more though. Valverde has switched to this broken 4-4-2 just to shoehorn Suarez into his natural position, but so far he hasn't improved one bit.

Rumor is he's going to get that cyst in his knee operated on during the international break. I'm willing to give him one more month after that to asses whether or not it was truly the injury holding back. If he continues in this form however even Valverde will be forced to bench him.

In January once we get Dembele back I believe this should be our front 3:

Dembele-Messi(false 9)-Roberto

Is our squad the worst it has been in years? Probably, but despite that Suarez does not deserve to be starting anymore.

blaugrana1987

I think Valverde is doing a great job. Not his fault team didnt score 3 goals in 1st half. Dont forget no Roberto, Dembele, Iniesta at 33 playing 60min coming back from injury etc.

Cant fault him, results are here and tbh we are playing better then with Lucho who had Neymar in team

Horatio

You're welcome
I think Valverde is playing according to what means he has at his disposable. I think the return of Dembele might change a thing or two.

serghei

I have a news for you, but even if he was playing the most beautiful brand of football he will get the axe if he doesn't win Liga or CL in his first year. talk about our style as much as you want, but our fans will held this team to highest standards when it come to trophies

Not so sure about that. If he makes us play well, rebuilds the team, integrates young players more he could stay, even if he wins nothing this year, although judging by how Madrid shoot themselves in the foot once every two weeks, it takes a monumental fuck up to still miss the La Liga title. We've had managers who stayed even after a failed season, but he has to show those things. And he's not. We're not playing well, we're not rebuilding the team, and he's not trusting the young quality players we have. So he seems to toss all of that aside so he can bring us immediate results. And if he fails at that too, the he should be fired, simple as that.

Last edited:
M

MessiCam

I think Valverde is playing according to what means he has at his disposable. I think the return of Dembele might change a thing or two.

Lol. Last night he played a CF as RM. Dembélé will play there. 150 M down the tube.

Home of Barca Fans