Ernesto Valverde - V1

JamDav1982

You are focussing on results. Most of the times we haven't been that convinving while winning and the overall play is just meh but okay if you disagree on that.

But his lineups are definitely a joke. No 2 ways about it. You argue that his lineups are winnng games which means you are just looking at the final results like most here.

They are mostly bogus and I am not blaming him for not having a good enough squad but he isn't picking the right players for the matches out of what he has. Hardly any minutes for semedo and denis and keeping on playing raki who just sucks ass and iniesta who can't play too much and also force roberto to play RB.

So what if we have been winning with his terrible lineups? We lost a lot due to luchos lineups but there were also plenty of matches we won with his terrible lineups. Thing is we were lucky to win with those lineups and we are still lucky to win now. They are no way a right choice and if you look at the 3 seasons under lucho you will see that our overall play didn't always suck. Didn't mean lucho knew shit.

Nope I have cleary said that in vast majority of games Barca have been the better team.

His line ups are not a joke. Overall he is getting it right most weeks. I have never been a fan of Raki but certain players that he plys we sont agree with doesnt make those who line ups a joke.

Neymessi

So first game Barca come up against a decent team they will lose?

Pretty much only treble makes you wrong?

No.

We lose by playing well, fine, but I fear we will be exposed big time when we play the big guns so thats what I don't look forward too.

JamDav1982

No.

We lose by playing well, fine, but I fear we will be exposed big time when we play the big guns so thats what I don't look forward too.

Of course Barca could get beat by any of the big teams. There is not much between any of them really at moment.

Barca have scored the most in La Liga, conceded the least, won the most, had the most possession with a squad that clearly not as strong as they would have wanted.

To say Barca are playing shit isnt true. Maybe you prefer to see another style but that is a different argument but so far Valverde is getting results and achieving all those things with a poorer squad than had in years for most part.

M

MessiCam

Of course Barca could get beat by any of the big teams. There is not much between any of them really at moment.

Barca have scored the most in La Liga, conceded the least, won the most, had the most possession with a squad that clearly not as strong as they would have wanted.

To say Barca are playing shit isnt true. Maybe you prefer to see another style but that is a different argument but so far Valverde is getting results and achieving all those things with a poorer squad than had in years for most part.
Yeah we know the results are there. But we’ve conceded more chances than we’ve created against Juventus, Getafe, Eibar, Girona, Sporting, Malaga and had a complete 2nd half capitulation against a Bilbao team which has been quite poor.

And it’s not about the style. Barça still pass the ball sufficiently and try to work spaces... It’s the defensive tactics which concern me and this has a knock on effect on the way the ball is utilised. Rakitic was in such a defensive mode last night that Messi had to urge him to into an attacking posItion to accept a pass.

Neymessi

Which is all superficial and misleading.

For starters though I want a better managed squad with better lineups. If we still keep grinding wins then thats a different scenario but right now maybe we could play much better just by 3 or 4 changes in his lineup policy.

JamDav1982

Yeah we know the results are there. But we’ve conceded more chances than we’ve created against Juventus, Getafe, Eibar, Girona, Sporting, Malaga and had a complete 2nd half capitulation against a Bilbao team which has been quite poor.

And it’s not about the style. Barça still pass the ball sufficiently and try to work spaces... It’s the defensive tactics which concern me and this has a knock on effect on the way the ball is utilised. Rakitic was in such a defensive mode last night that Messi had to urge him to into an attacking posItion to accept a pass.

There wasnt a complete second half capitulation and I dont expect to create more chances in every game and those include pot shots from distince which are fairly common V Barca.

When the team has the most possession, creates the second most chances and scores most goals in league it is not a defensive approach.

JamDav1982

Which is all superficial and misleading.

For starters though I want a better managed squad with better lineups. If we still keep grinding wins then thats a different scenario but right now maybe we could play much better just by 3 or 4 changes in his lineup policy.

Not it isnt it is facts that show how the team is approaching games in comparison to other teams in league.

What line up policy you not happy about? I agree about Rakitic as think he offers little.

Kohe321

The problem is that I feel our good results are a combination of Messi, some incredible individual defensive performances and a good dose of luck. I'm not getting the feeling we're playing well enough to warrant these positive stats. It's a feeling of being on borrowed time, floating on a pillow of different factors that can't possibly last, and when it crashes it could crash hard.

Hope I'm wrong.

Neymessi

Not it isnt it is facts that show how the team is approaching games in comparison to other teams in league.

What line up policy you not happy about? I agree about Rakitic as think he offers little.

Stats are misleading a lot of times. Defensive stats about a defender can be misleading as fuck and same with Gks and too a lesser extent for midfielders and attackers.

Its not just me but a good majority of users here who think we aren't all that as the stats may show.

1) No rakitic
2) Denis starts, preferably on the wing
3) No roberto at RB but in midfield
4) Start Semedo
5) Start iniesta lesser and rotate him

These are the basic things and he gets all of them wrong almost all the times.

JamDav1982

Stats are misleading a lot of times. Defensive stats about a defender can be misleading as fuck and same with Gks and too a lesser extent for midfielders and attackers.

Its not just me but a good majority of users here who think we aren't all that as the stats may show.

1) No rakitic
2) Denis starts, preferably on the wing
3) No roberto at RB but in midfield
4) Start Semedo
5) Start iniesta lesser and rotate him

These are the basic things and he gets all of them wrong almost all the times.

They are not all basic and he is picking teams that are defending well, dominating the ball and putting Messi in position to succeed.

From where people predicted would be with this squad he has done a food job so far.

Folk moan about Semedo not playing more but Roberto has been far better than him going forward and played there on merit really.

LeeRomeno

The problem is that I feel our good results are a combination of Messi, some incredible individual defensive performances and a good dose of luck. I'm not getting the feeling we're playing well enough to warrant these positive stats. It's a feeling of being on borrowed time, floating on a pillow of different factors that can't possibly last, and when it crashes it could crash hard.

Hope I'm wrong.

Dont get it, if there are some exceptional individual performances, how can it be a bad thing? Seriously I think it is pretty neat our defense has upped their game and Messi is still as good as he is ever since he broke into first team. We have been lucky and we have been unlucky, so have all other teams in the world. Just this summer, Real Madrid was praised in this forum to be the greatest squad ever, although their last season was exactly as you described. Some incredible individual performances, Ronaldo/Ramos showing up when needed and dose of good luck. I have hard time believing there were RM fans whining how they should have had less luck and more skill or whatever bs is on agenda here.
Feels like part of this forum are the guys who on free time stand on corner with "The End Is Near" sign.

JamDav1982

Dont get it, if there are some exceptional individual performances, how can it be a bad thing? Seriously I think it is pretty neat our defense has upped their game and Messi is still as good as he is ever since he broke into first team. We have been lucky and we have been unlucky, so have all other teams in the world. Just this summer, Real Madrid was praised in this forum to be the greatest squad ever, although their last season was exactly as you described. Some incredible individual performances, Ronaldo/Ramos showing up when needed and dose of good luck. I have hard time believing there were RM fans whining how they should have had less luck and more skill or whatever bs is on agenda here.
Feels like part of this forum are the guys who on free time stand on corner with "The End Is Near" sign.

Exactly folk moan when team mates cant help Messi influence games but the system and other players are so far getting Messi in poisition to influence the games.

Kohe321

Hehe, it's not my intention to spread doom and gloom.

It's not all bad, and you're right in that disregarding good individual performances would be silly. I'm just not seeing our team playing that well, and that the results we've been getting is more down to individual performances and luck than it needs to be for success in the long run, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans