Ernesto Valverde - V1

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Not starting Roberto was his biggest mistake. He is not only better than Rakitic and Gomes, he was also more fresh.

It's a solid result at Calderon and I fear it will sweep the problems under carpet.

xXKonan

DMIG3TbW0AYZsz1.jpg

Passmap but these don't always tell the whole story though.

serghei

If our pressing has improved why do teams like Eibar, Girona or Getafe manage more shots towards our goal than we do on theirs?

Seems like an obligatory thing to say about Barca whenever a new manager comes in: "Wow, they are pressing again." Was immediately claimed unter Tata, Lucho and now Valverde.

Too early to judgle conclusively, but so far we're serving up some uninspiring football.

True. What he has brought is more effort in the smaller games so far, and more concentration. If we lose that, we are in real danger of ending trophyless because we're not beating the big teams playing like we do now.

dakt

Yeah, yeah. Talk to me when you're my age :p

I would, but rare are the people that get to live so long. Now off to bed and leave the board to us, the youngsters. We have strategies to consider and players to slander.

Alik

Starting and playing Gomes for 90 minutes was a Lucho-esque decision, and I don't mean that as a compliment.

xXKonan

It seemed random as well.

Gomes who didn't play a lot this season, he was either on the bench making sub appearances or not or totally out of the final match day squad and all of a sudden he started today as a Right Wide mid in a 4-4-2. He didn't play well in the first half but gotten better once he was moved back in the middle and offered more energy than Rakitic and at least tried in some ways to make things happen.

But again out of nowhere he started. I think Like I said in a earlier post Valverde was was probably trying to use him as a taller/physical option out wide against Atletico but it didn't work out at all. His role for Portugal is the same except I believe he played out as a Wide Left Midfielder in a 4-4-2. I wonder if Valverde was studying Gomes role in the national team and hoped to replicate it here.

Barcilliant

Jury is still out on Valverde. Some things are positive, some things bizarre and some just meh...

I still don't know if he is the right manager for us. This guy has rotated more than Lucho.

Neymessi

He is lucho 2.0

People will throw facts at me about how good we have been this season but stats are meaningless without context and close inspection.

He has done really not much tactically and his lineups are bizarre to say the least. I wouldn't call someone wrong if he said his lineups are worse than lucho.

We are winning because we are relatively fresh at the start of the season and messi. The big teams we have won against was due to a lot of luck (juventus was missing a huge chunk of their starters). Our overall play sucks ass and individual performances from messi, umtiti and mats are bailing us out every match.

It is better to see the reality that we aren't really all that and not be shocked if we fall apart in the second half of the season than think we are WC and fall on our face.

JamDav1982

He is lucho 2.0

People will throw facts at me about how good we have been this season but stats are meaningless without context and close inspection.

He has done really not much tactically and his lineups are bizarre to say the least. I wouldn't call someone wrong if he said his lineups are worse than lucho.

We are winning because we are relatively fresh at the start of the season and messi. The big teams we have won against was due to a lot of luck (juventus was missing a huge chunk of their starters). Our overall play sucks ass and individual performances from messi, umtiti and mats are bailing us out every match.

It is better to see the reality that we aren't really all that and not be shocked if we fall apart in the second half of the season than think we are WC and fall on our face.

Dont think he is anything like Lucho and he is finding ways to get results with a fairly limited squad at moment.

It is not all because of Messi. Could very well have beat Atletico yesterday and Messi was average, beat Getafe away with Messi being fairly average, same with Girona away and Sporting.

I like the way Valverde has team playing far more than in Luchos last season.

Home of Barca Fans