Ernesto Valverde - V1

serghei

I'm not seeing the presssing, not seeing the off the ball movement, not seeing the speed or the commitment. Valverde has quite a lot to improve upon. He should use the results we're getting to make sure that the game follows suit, because you can't win like that for long. You can very easily get into a bad patch and lose/draw 3-4 games in a row.

aaron101

Managers all over Europe already have the blueprint on how to neutralize Messi as false 9 even when Pep was here. That's the reason why we kinda change our style a little bit. Now that the false 9 system is back, teams already know what to do and it will be easier now than before.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Remember the knives out for Rijkaard, Lucho? Even Pep was questioned in his first month.

Man needs time. It's a demanding job and he isn't working in ideal circumstances off and on the pitch.

Kohe321

I completely agree we need to give him time. We're just seeing the outline of his system, it takes a good while to implement it proper and for the players to integrate it to the point of flow. I just hope that once they do, it proves to be good. The jury is still out on that.

But his very late substitutions tonight were worrying. Our midfield was slow and lacked creativity, with one player (Rakitic) showing what must have been a career worst performance with a Barca shirt, yet he lets him play the entire match. Meanwhile we have players eager to play and to prove themselves on the bench. If nothing else, the energy boost it would've given should be reason enough to do a double substitution (Denis and Paulinho) at around 60 minutes.

Last edited:
Our away games really are starting to remind me of Tito's season now.

Don't think many people would do better with the hand he's been dealt. No midfield signing and no Dembele.
He could play Roberto as midfielder and maybe he will still.

Very much doubt he's happy with our displays either.

This is true.

khaled_a_d

Our away games really are starting to remind me of Tito's season now.

If we didn't miss half of the team against Bayern our season under Tito was gonna be remembered as very good one (we would still be eliminated by Bayern,but not completely humiliated)
I kind of agree with that it look like Tito season, and I would take it gladly as long as it don't turn into Tata's

Barcilliant

Said it in the Messi thread, but the writing on the wall is VERY clear with this false 9 system. I see 2012 problems hitting us bad very soon against big teams and in the key CL stages. We are overly dependent on Messi with an arguably even worse supporting cast than we did in 2012 and if he's lazy/doesn't drop deep then the team gets fucked and we can't manage good attacks whatsoever.

Sporting were better than us today and we didn't deserve to win. Own goals are our 2nd top scorer more than a month into the season and have literally decided fixtures for us. If Valverde doesn't fix this issue and stop playing Messi as such an advanced false 9 (only playing near the goal) it will bite us in the ass and we will fail. It's sad but IMO we should expect it if things keep going this way.
4-2-3-1

Suarez upfront with Messi behind him.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Tbf, he was one of the people who kept saying we needed more signings publicly and what did they get him? Nothing.

He need to drop Rakitic though and he need to drop Suarez if he doesn't pick up form. I don't care if he's Messi's best friend or on a huge contract or will get sad. He's a professional football player who's not playing like one for some time now. His goals overshadowed his overall poor play last year, but now he's getting exposed big time.

We desperately some pace and movement up front with Messi and Suarez ends up sulking and complaining to the ref most of the time and isn't the fastest player around either.

Birdy

4-2-3-1 or 4-4-1-1 (depending from which pov you see it) is starting to develop at last..
This is the system that can rescue this year, and not the - nowadays ineffective- 4-3-3 with no players to support it..

The best position for Messi is neither false 9 nor right wing, but by far behind a striker with freedom of movement and limited defensive duties.
First step for the team is to consolidate this new formation, and second for Valverde to find the right players to play this formation. Daunting task given the roster he has.

Busquets needs a better partner (a new player possibly. For now i see only an energetic player like Roberto or Paulinho the better fit). The wingers should be neither the 33yr old Iniesta nor Roberto. Dembele (when healed) and either Denis/Delofleu for now, but also a new player there..
Suarez also a question mark. Probably a younger striker upfront needed as well in the not so distant future..

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
4-2-3-1 or 4-4-1-1 (depending from which pov you see it) is starting to develop at last..
This is the system that can rescue this year, and not the - nowadays ineffective- 4-3-3 with no players to support it..

The best position for Messi is neither false 9 nor right wing, but by far behind a striker with freedom of movement and limited defensive duties.
First step for the team is to consolidate this new formation, and second for Valverde to find the right players to play this formation. Daunting task given the roster he has.

Busquets needs a better partner (a new player possibly. For now i see only an energetic player like Roberto or Paulinho the better fit). The wingers should be neither the 33yr old Iniesta nor Roberto. Dembele (when healed) and either Denis/Delofleu for now, but also a new player there..
Suarez also a question mark. Probably a younger striker upfront needed as well in the not so distant future..

I get the feeling too. Think Denis Suarez (if he continues to grow and be good enough of course) would be that LM and Dembele the RF (who is more of a forward than the RM). Would still have that 3 mid fielders and 3 forwards like 4-3-3 but would bring Leo more into center without having to go the false 9 route.

May be that was one of the reasons why we were so fixated on bringing Coutinho (You know hoping that the board actually had some kind of a planning rather than doing their routine of going for just one player like they had been doing with different Paris players.

If that indeed is what's happening, should make sure the dumb Rakitic does not play any more and make sure Iniesta only plays as a substitute who comes in when the opponent mid fielders are not fresh enough to make his life harder in mid field!

If we didn't miss half of the team against Bayern our season under Tito was gonna be remembered as very good one (we would still be eliminated by Bayern,but not completely humiliated)
I kind of agree with that it look like Tito season, and I would take it gladly as long as it don't turn into Tata's

I will keep posting this until people stop trying to spread the myth that we were great that season before Messi got injured or Tito fell ill and that those two factors would somehow have mattered against Bayern:

[youtube]ODeXsebKneA[/youtube]

Full team, healthy coach. Exact same problems. Things wouldn't have looked much better against Bayern even if Tito didn't have cancer and Messi weren't injured.

If you actually watch the games rather than just look at the results, I'd say it was about as bad as the Tata season (it was obviously better results-wise). Performances were actually worse against big teams, although they were better (or at least more consistent) in La Liga (a much weaker La Liga than in Tata's season, mind you).

For the record, I am by no means writing EV off at this point in the season, I'll even praise him for our home form which is much better than what I expected with the current squad. I'm simply pointing out what I see. Good and bad.

Last edited:

Neymessi

We are winning till now because we have been lucky imo. The midfield is the same old mess and his rotations don't make much sense just like luchos. I don't see anything too diffferent in him YET. This is my early diagnosis.

MagIX

Remember the knives out for Rijkaard, Lucho? Even Pep was questioned in his first month.

Man needs time. It's a demanding job and he isn't working in ideal circumstances off and on the pitch.

I hope you are right.
Pep had youngs and hungry players like Xavi, Iniesta, Yaya, Alves, Messi, even Eto'o..... it is not only a question of time and adaption, is also a question of which players do you have.

Our corrent situation is the consequence of our management with no visions and no plans.

RevoTeller

I hope you are right.
Pep had youngs and hungry players like Xavi, Iniesta, Yaya, Alves, Messi, even Eto'o..... it is not only a question of time and adaption, is also a question of which players do you have.

Our corrent situation is the consequence of our management with no visions and no plans.

Really,

Alves Piqué Puyol Abidal
Iniesta Yaya Xavi
Messi Eto'o Henry

Almost all in their prime.

Jesus, current team would get embarassed 10-0 against that one.

Home of Barca Fans