Ernesto Valverde - V1

aaron101

Saurez will struggle to play the inside forward at this point in his career given his age and fitness level, in a away that system would work better long term with dembele and delou.

You're talking as if he's 33 or 35 yrs old. The guy just turned 30 last January ffs.

jamrock

Villa & Henry were a similar age, but saurez doesn't seen to be as fit as they were to be able to manage all of that, much like Messi wheh he played RF last season.

I'm all for the tactical switch, but unless we rotate well, I think he will he burnt out come the business end of the season.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Villa was fit? He barely tracked back. Suarez is a beast compared to Villa and above Henry as well. Not to mention understanding Suarez has with Messi.

Total-Football

I like what he is trying to do here. If we play dembele on the left and continue with the same old set up, that would mean we changed nothing but downgrading the left winger position. However, with this new courageous plan we are shaking and baking some new stuff. I don't know how it will end, but at least there is some element of surprise to it. I hope we continue like this instead of the "safe" route our uninspired post-pep managers took.

xXKonan

Valverde is the most experienced Manager we have hired in a long time. Lucho,Pep,Tito,Tata didn't have the experience Valverde had by the time they got the Barca job. But despite his experience Valverde is still learning himself new ideas on implementing his own ideas while learning from some of Peps ideas from his time here.

He's well known for his favorite formation the 4-2-3-1 and a lot of Calatan journalists etc, talked about how he never used the 4-3-3 much or if not at all and it was mostly a 4-2-3-1 he used. But the Espanyol match showed something nostalgic with the 4-3-3. Messi as a False 9, Suarez in the Villa/Henry role as a LF and Deulo on the right wing and having Alba work in an Alves like Fullback role with Semedo looking more in an Abidal like role.

It certainly reminds you a bit of Pep's setup, and it wouldn't be surprising if Valverde kept it and continued to keep the system working and more flexible when needed. Makes me wish we had a Quality CM or two to go with this system Valverde is working on.

Gaudi

We obviously played to fast with Lucho, he detected that. This is so static and slow it's hard to watch. Messi can hide many things but not every game entire season.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Agreed. Looking at how far apart Iniesta and Rakitic were standing it didn't look at all like 4-3-3. Passes between our two creative (supposed) midfielders were rare and forget about any kind of chemistry.

I could be wrong here but didn't Lucho tried the diamond formation when he took over?

dakt

All fine, but Suarez on that left is a waste. You could as well put brick on the pitch and would end up with same effect.

Home of Barca Fans