Ernesto Valverde - V1

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Too bad we're neither. Perhaps it'll change this season, I don't know. It's up to Valverde to shape this team the way he want.

El Flaco

[tw]1032236001391988737[/tw]

Quotes from Valverde's interview with Barca Magazine

On being eliminated from the Champions League by AS Roma:

- My analysis of the 2nd leg was that everything that surrounded that tie wasn't good. They were much stronger and we couldn't turn it around.

On La Masia:

- Barça always has to look at its academy. A lot of people say we should simply take youth players, put them in the first team and everything will work out. But it’s not always that simple. Because there are implicit demands and a lot of competition for places in the first team. However, it’s something that should be encouraged because players from the academy have things that outsiders don’t have. It all depends on them more than anyone else, although it might also depend on whether or not the coach gives them another chance. I hope young players can come through from the youth system and go out and steal the show, score loads of goals and stop our opponents from scoring, because that’s what guarantees that the club and the team have an identity. There are good players in Barça B, with a lot of ambition, and I’m very excited about what I see.

On seeking consistency:

- I’d like to keep the same team spirit that we had last season. It’s not always easy to do that throughout a whole season, especially in a team like ours that always plays to attack. Opponents generally haven’t stopped us playing in matches and that’s essential if you want to maintain your consistency and end up as champions. I think we have to keep that. We had a horrible day against Roma and we have to be careful in those one-off situations. In competitions like the Champions League or the World Cup, it can all come down to a single mistake on a single day. You have to be especially focused.

On High Demands:

- There was a year when Barça won everything and another when the team won 5 out of 6 possible trophies, so the club always wants to win the lot. But you can’t always win the lot, it’s very difficult. The best way to do that is by being the best from the first day to the last, but that only guarantees you the league. A Champions League or a World Cup can be lost in a bad ten minutes.

On Coutinho

- He has a slightly more offensive profile than Iniesta, and a better goalscoring record. Like Andres and all the good guys, he can do anything.

On Dembele.

- He has extraordinary skills. We hope he will help us a lot, but our very attractive way of playing also requires important defensive concentration and a decisive mentality. He needs to finish the plays, and therefore must get involved in them more.

On Lenglet

- He is a ready-made player who knows La Liga from his time in Sevilla. He can help us a lot.

On Arthur

- He is a player in whom we have high hopes. He has the Barcelona style and must now adapt to our rhythm.

On Real Madrid losing Cristiano Ronaldo

- Ronaldo leaving would seem to have ended the competition between Leo Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo because people rarely mention one without mentioning the other. A lot of people are interested, me too, to see how it will affect Real Madrid’s football and what they might do in the transfer market, and also knowing that Ronaldo is at another club and what that might mean for La Liga and the Champions League too.

On World Cup

- Victories have knock-on effects and when one team wins people question the others. There were teams like France that were strong in the area, with solid defences and good attacks, and other teams that may have scored high in possession but failed to progress, such as Spain. It’s something to think about.

On VAR

- The feeling is that Video Assistant Referees and technology are here to help us, especially for justice in the penalty area. But we don’t know what knock-on effects it might have. I wouldn’t want VAR to interrupt the flow of games. The great thing about football is that it’s so fast, there are so few interruptions. The referees certainly need help but this shouldn’t be to the detriment of the speed of the game. I know everyone is hanging on what happens in the area, but in the World Cup Final, France scored from a free kick that wasn’t and that decided the game. So what’s more important? I don’t know, because I am also waiting to see how it all works out.

messi2140

6racies Xavi
I see the bullshit artist is back again with some great quotes. ''Attacking play'', ''Attractive way of playing'' , ''Barcelona style''.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
What a joke of an interview. This guy is honestly a Mou level idiot with his comments.

I have never seen him make a comment about Dembele that wasn't backhanded and loaded, yet he won't ever utter a word about Suarez and his form. Also as messi2140 pointed out he keeps harping on about "attractive style" and that crap yet this guy plays as cowardly and conservative as it gets.

Seriously look back on a lot of our fixtures in 17/18 and it's difficult to find instances where Valverde DOESN'T make a defensive sub to hold the lead/result. Even when we were fucking losing to Roma this guy's one idea is to defend the lead by subbing in Gomes. Makes even Mourinho look brave in comparison. Also looks like he's trying to brace the fanbase for more CL failure with all the "luck" comments.

DonAK

A CL and WC might be lost in 10 minutes, but we've been losing it over 180 minutes or 90 minutes the last 2-3 seasons.....

FCBfan22

[tw]1032236001391988737[/tw]

On being eliminated from the Champions League by AS Roma:

- My analysis of the 2nd leg was that everything that surrounded that tie wasn't good. They were much stronger and we couldn't turn it around.

Bollocks.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
What he's going to say? Players lost their balls? Roma was more on players than Valverde. They pulled the same thing against PSG and Juve away year before that.

soul24rage

What he's going to say? Players lost their balls? Roma was more on players than Valverde. They pulled the same thing against PSG and Juve away year before that.

I disagree that it was more on the players on the Roma game. Valverde didn't change his tactics on that game at all until the very end. It was clear from the beginning of the match that we were clearly struggling. The players were really poor that night, but Valverde never looked like he was going to do anything.

[youtube]KMtj0es0704&t=281s[/youtube]

DonAK

The players sucked and you can perhaps fault them for not trying to solve the issue themselves, but Valverde certainly lost the plot in Roma too. Players comments after the game suggested they told him the tactics were a problem at HT, but he didn't change anything.

And then his subs were bad too. Dembele came in 8 mins before the game ended. Paulinho never entered the game and he was apparently signed for such games and then Gomes lol.

henias

He doesnt really give a shit about developing players or try something new, simple as that. He tries to justify himself in interviews, and his reasons are always the same, always just too focused on defense, the same old guards and can't seem to inspire the team offensively. After a while, all this things he says just seems more and more like bullshit to me because the team looks to be getting slower and worse as the seasons progress. No improvement, no spark, no new ideas.

I get people always try to defend him just because of the "domestic double", "Neymar saga". But let's be honest here, it's extremely hard to imagine him winning big things and building a team that looks optimistic for the future, for years to come. He's tactically very limited as well. Doesnt seem to be aware of our issues that has plagued us during Lucho's era and doesnt strike a balance between attack and defence, or emphasised on importance of right and left flanks, dynamism and flexibility.

I also understand people try to emphasise so much on defence, some things that EV brought, but at the end of the day, you cant focus on defense only. Maybe a slightly more conversative approach, yes, but from what I've seen tactically and from the squad selections, it's way too reserved and timid, so much so it's actually crippling our ability to grow expotentially as a confident potent team.

He would definitely suit better as a temporary coach imo, but as a long term coach it's a big no for me. People are hopeful, i get that, but I'd be honest here. This coach is not going to change much in his reserved mentality, squad development, or transform into a team building, innovative and inspring manager. Part of the blame would have to go to the board for blindly going for a "Barca DNA" coach, but ultimately, EV took this job and chose to go for a second season, so it's still his responsibility and he deserve every bit of explicit honest criticism this season.

I may seem "naggy", but I have to watch Barcelona play every week and especially with the contant dull football it can definitely get slightly frustrating.

He will need to change and step up big time this season, it's the only expectation I have for him. If he doesn't and fail to impress this season, then it's only fair he should step down next season. Till then, I'll just have to wait and see. :)

Last edited:

DonAK

His contract runs out after this season anyway and I don't think Bartomeu is too keen on giving him a contract extension unless our performances in the CL and just in general improves.

And I don't see Valverde continuing for more than a season anyway. I don't know, but I sometimes get the feeling he doesn't really enjoy this as much as he enjoyed managing Athletic Bilbao from his public demeanor. Could be due to the pressure though.

I don't want another rookie manager if we get a new one after this season regardless of the outcome.

Need someone with a good CV of winning major trophies, someone that's good tactically and is a strong character which these players probably need. Too many of them are too comfortable right now.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans