Ernesto Valverde - V1

Trickykid

shows quality of the manager i guess, when did that happen last time?

The story is that neither Atletico nor Real bothered going for the title. If they really had wanted it, they had taken it from us without breaking a sweat. Easy peasy.

Get with the program, man.

clemente

The story is that neither Atletico nor Real bothered going for the title. If they really had wanted it, they had taken it from us without breaking a sweat. Easy peasy.

Even for this forum this could be ~top 3 stupidest comments I've seen here.

Windhook

C'mon, now... Real Madrid concentrated on CL entirely after we trashed them 0-3 at BernaLEO. I said it around Christmas last year that Real Madrid always reach top form in April-May (thanks to heavy squad rotation), while Barca declines right about the same period. Rotation is key factor and Valverde should learn that from Ancelotti and his protege Zidane. Not to mention the lack of quality in almost every area in our squad last season and remember the despair when we lost to Real Madrid in the Supercopa games.

Zidane82

shows quality of the manager i guess, when did that happen last time?

It actually highlighted the poor starts to the season and the general misgivings of our two main rivals .

Valverde got lucky tbh .

Well they both had unbelievably bad starts to the season and were too far behind to realistically overtake us ...

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
The league wasn't won by December over Atletico, that was just RM imploding in the fall that killed their chances early. IIRC we weren't safely past Atletico till like around February-March.

RM were not great last season with very clear vulnerabilities, and that is why it's so frustrating how we fold in the CL compared to them anyway. Even when they were outplayed clearly by Bayern, they still managed to get through and win it all.

serghei

The league wasn't won by December over Atletico, that was just RM imploding in the fall that killed their chances early. IIRC we weren't safely past Atletico till like around February-March.

RM were not great last season with very clear vulnerabilities, and that is why it's so frustrating how we fold in the CL compared to them anyway. Even when they were outplayed clearly by Bayern, they still managed to get through and win it all.

If Bayern would've received the 2 clear penalties they had on Bernabeu Madrid would've been out. Such is the case of CL. A couple of ref mistakes tilt the tie in one direction. You add that, then add Bayern gifting Madrid some goals, one of them after a hilarious keeper blunder, and you get some massive elements of luck that can be decisive in a competition like CL.

There are mostly 3 types of CL seasons in my experience.

1) A great team performing and firing on all cylinders that more or less smashes the opposition.
2) Neither team is head and shoulders about the rest, so who has the better players, gets more lucky with the refs and is more clinical wins.
3) Underdog win in which a team has a moment where they turn the tables and win against all odds.

Madrid have been the best in CL because they are the most likely team to win in scenario 2) and less likely to suffer from scenario 3) happening.

Scenario 2 is by way of probabilities the most likely to happen, and scenario 1) the least likely. Which is why Madrid have the most win the CL without having really great sides. With one exception, their 2016 team which was really great and their peak under Zidane. Most of the teams Madrid won the CL with weren't even top 2 in Spain that season.

Last edited:

soul24rage

Such is the case of CL. A couple of ref mistakes tilt the tie in one direction.

you know it amazes me why UEFA still hasn't tried to implement VAR this season as VAR, although not perfect, can help referees in many situations especially in a competition like the CL where one ref mistake can impact hugely in a knockout game.

Home of Barca Fans