Ernesto Valverde - V1

shadows

Well with WC looming, Players half-assing was expected.. Plus the problems we showed in this game were quite similar to what we've exhibited in earlier games..But we had Messi to cover for us then.. That said EV also showed the same set of problems he has..Keeping Suarez on despite him sucking for god knows how long, Midfield being slow and over run all the time and his no subs till we were 5-1 down..

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
That's precisely the problem. Not JUST the manager himself.

The players need someone with authority and personality that will give them a kick up their ass and get rid of those that won't work hard for it. Valverde might just not be that guy.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Post was made at the 5-1. But we need change.

I agree. And I am pissed too at him making those selections. I said it in chat: I think he is a bit too nice and afraid not to rock the boat but sometimes these players do need a whip. Also, when it was evident we were being too anemic, you need to make changes. But, as always, he is too slow to react and probably too worried not to piss off senior players and by this point most of them are seniors.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
I agree. And I am pissed too at him making those selections. I said it in chat: I think he is a bit too nice and afraid not to rock the boat but sometimes these players do need a whip. Also, when it was evident we were being too anemic, you need to make changes. But, as always, he is too slow to react and probably too worried not to piss off senior players and by this point most of them are seniors.

In that sense he is kind of like Tata.

MTL_Barca

Bayern got destroyed 1-4 at home yesterday, games like this can happen if there is nothing on the line. Players didn't seem to care too much about that whole invincible thing judging by the performance, the only one really trying was Cou.

Would've been cool to finish unbeaten, but in the end it's not really important and i have to agree that Valverde surely doesn't deserve it.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Also needs to be said that maybe we didnt deserve the unbeaten "title". There were managers before him who played better football and havent gotten there but then again these things are not always on merit anyway.

Maybe for the best. Will light more fire under him and players and make them look inwards a bit more than they'd do after staying unbeaten.

bodi16

He won't be sacked after winning a double. Get over it and grin and bear next season.

Chances of that happening were anyway close to zero even if we would have lost 5-1 to Levante today. Maybe something like 8-1 would have been a complete embarassment that would have made himself resign.

El Gato

Villarato!
The players need someone with authority and personality that will give them a kick up their ass and get rid of those that won't work hard for it. Valverde might just not be that guy.

Doesn't mean EV should be the first to get the boot based on that alone. It's true it's far easier to replace the manager, but it is no coincidence it's the loyalists who are letting him down most. Messi is Messi and I don't think he leans one way or another. But those that aren't leaders or mentors by example like Busquets, Alba, Pique, Suarez.. those are the toxic people who are the root of the problematic results. One that surprises me most is Busi who is just a waste of space in a non-possession approach. Quite sad on pure attitude standpoint.

Just sacking Valverde won't change anything at all, because these dudes think they're the experienced backbone who are irreplaceable.

Devils

Players putting in effort is a reflection of the manager.

Valverde is a manager that takes things for granted.

4-1 victory against Roma in the first leg...bottle it by getting utterly dominated by Roma for 94 minutes.
Manage the undefeated streak in the Clasico and against Villareal...concede 5 goals Levante.

EV is just rubbish.

DonAK

Doesn't mean EV should be the first to get the boot based on that alone. It's true it's far easier to replace the manager, but it is no coincidence it's the loyalists who are letting him down most. Messi is Messi and I don't think he leans one way or another. But those that aren't leaders or mentors by example like Busquets, Alba, Pique, Suarez.. those are the toxic people who are the root of the problematic results. One that surprises me most is Busi who is just a waste of space in a non-possession approach. Quite sad on pure attitude standpoint.

Just sacking Valverde won't change anything at all, because these dudes think they're the experienced backbone who are irreplaceable.

Obviously, but nothing is going to change unless you get a manager like that. Valverde simply isn't that.

Too bad Puyol wanted to become a football agent instead of a manager or else he would have definitely kicked the entitlement out of some of these guys.

Jägermeister

True to an extent, but our players are grown men and not children. If you are a professional footballer at least your goal should be to win the match you are going into. Yes, a person like e.g. Klopp can certainly push a few more percent of energy out of players, but what we have seen today or against Roma was basically refusal to work.
I just wish that we had a manager that dares to bench even our “star“ players after performances like that, so if you mean something like that, then yes, I agree.

bodi16

I just wish that we had a manager that dares to bench even our “star“ players after performances like that, so if you mean something like that, then yes, I agree.

Lucho did that in the first season with us at Anoeta (deservedly so) and almost got sacked.

DonAK

True to an extent, but our players are grown men and not children. If you are a professional footballer at least your goal should be to win the match you are going into. Yes, a person like e.g. Klopp can certainly push a few more percent of energy out of players, but what we have seen today or against Roma was basically refusal to work.

Yes, but sometimes people just lack self-awareness and you have to push them out for them to realize where they're at fault. That's what Lucho did with Pique and he turned great again after it.

We need someone like that. Some of these players are very, very lucky we don't have a controlling maniac like Pep or someone like Klopp around, people that take no BS, because they would have kicked them out of the club already.

Home of Barca Fans