Ernesto Valverde - V1

Kerrybai

Winning an domestic double and have an undefeated league season will be a great accomplishment and should be enough to applaud Valverde, or at least that would be the case at most clubs, however there are 3 clubs in European football for which the norm does not apply.

At Madrid, Barcelona and Baryenr Munich domestic success is no longer enough. The CL is now the priority for fans and without it a season is considered unccessful, I would say the same also now applies to PSG.

I am very happy with retaining La liga but in the end we crashed out in the last of of Europe while winning 4-1 to an Italian side who may not even finish top 4 in Serie A. That im afraid can only be seen as a failure and in the end we will end with a similar amount of league points as last season. Have we made any progress from last season? For me the answer is no.

All managers at the 4 clubs mentioned above will be judge primarily on CL performances.

serghei

Winning an domestic double and have an undefeated league season will be a great accomplishment and should be enough to applaud Valverde, or at least that would be the case at most clubs, however there are 3 clubs in European football for which the norm does not apply.

At Madrid, Barcelona and Baryenr Munich domestic success is no longer enough. The CL is now the priority for fans and without it a season is considered unccessful, I would say the same also now applies to PSG.

I am very happy with retaining La liga but in the end we crashed out in the last of of Europe while winning 4-1 to an Italian side who may not even finish top 4 in Serie A. That im afraid can only be seen as a failure and in the end we will end with a similar amount of league points as last season. Have we made any progress from last season? For me the answer is no.

All managers at the 4 clubs mentioned above will be judge primarily on CL performances.

Don't agree. Bayern and PSG, sure, they play in very one sided leagues were they are the only really big club, so of course the league is not enough for them because these days they win it by default. But La Liga and Premier League are strong leagues. Winning it is very hard. But I agree that losing 3 times in a row in the QF of the CL against inferior teams is not right. This year vs Roma was an embarrassment to say the least.

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
The problem is not losing in the QF. The problem is not competing with this squad and after how much money we've invested. The problem is constantly getting humiliated. That is not a club of Barcelona's stature worthy.

George_Costanza

First of all, nothing was wrong on big scheme of things. What majority of this forum (82% according to poll, 95% according to poll before Roma game) was doing was accepting the results and gameplay to be okay considering the circumstances and defending that view against a few lunatics who have kept raging and wishing for us to lose for entire year. Which is awful premise to being with. I don't even get this logic, you should be experiencing the happiest time of the season, after 9 months of hoping for bad results 1 bad game actually happened (okey Sevilla game was pretty horrible as well except for 5 minutes). Are you happy now? Or is there still a threat we may win a trophy or 2 this season? That must be horrible right.
You do not need to apologize for coach who up until Roma game had 1 loss for entire year. Thats just plain stupid on any level.
Football is competitive sport where results matter for vast majority of followers, that's the most important thing, always has been.
If you think otherwise, YOU ARE THE MINORITY, so get used to be treated as one and stop thinking of names for those who disagree. You are part of small angry extreme fans, who seem to be never happy with anything.
And no, you were not right all along. Roma game was totally different from anything we saw for entire year. Valverde fcked up on massive level there, in contrast with rest of season. I am pretty sure that none of the people actually thought we would drop out, even the biggest Valverde critics after first game.

meh, you still don't get it! What makes a person a real fan or just simply a bandwagoner? People are going to jump on a team that wins things, if results are what made you a fan of Barcelona then sorry, you are just a bandwagoner. If all people think like you then no one will support small and midtable teams. You have to connect to the club for more reasons not just one aspect like results or fan of cetrain players...etc. What gives me a great pride is the genuine style of playing football that's so unique to Barca and promoting homegrown talents from La Masia among other reasons. Obviously, Valverde doesn't care about our that unique style and values.

serghei

The problem is not losing in the QF. The problem is not competing with this squad and after how much money we've invested. The problem is constantly getting humiliated. That is not a club of Barcelona's stature worthy.

It's the same thing DonAK, not competing by failing to make the final 4 in the last 3 seasons. This season all the excuses vanished. Had sweet draws, but Roma ouplayed us. Pure and simple. No ref, no bad draws, just us being poor, lazy and having a chickenshit manager.

But you can't actually say that if you don't win the CL it can't be a very good season. Not true.

BarcaOG

Banned

There is truth in what you say, but it's not simply that EV did not win the treble. It's that we were eliminated in the QF by AS Roma and playing cowardly football at that. We agree on this. Had we progressed to the semis and then lost, say, 3-2 on aggregate to Liverpool or Bayern, well, that would have been more or less acceptable.

In short: at FCB we must do better than the QF and we must do so playing well.

serghei

There is truth in what you say, but it's not simply that EV did not win the treble. It's that we were eliminated in the QF by AS Roma and playing cowardly football at that. We agree on this. Had we progressed to the semis and then lost, say, 3-2 on aggregate to Liverpool or Bayern, well, that would have been more or less acceptable.

In short: at FCB we must do better than the QF and we must do so playing well.

I agree very much with this. Also, you can sack a manager for being very very bad in key areas no matter if he has a good season or not overall.

BarcaOG

Banned
I agree very much with this. Also, you can sack a manager for being very very bad in key areas no matter if he has a good season or not overall.

Indeed. He has been terrible at 1) youth integration--which also matters for a club like ours--and 2) rotations, which have, yet again, drastically reduced our chances of playing good football in March-April. There is a real sense in which he is gradually eroding the team's competitiveness by overplaying our 30+ year olds. Surely the club's directors know that such a tactic is unsustainable? Two more years of overexertion and Messi might be all but finished. It is irresponsible.

FinBarcelonafan

Now he is rotating the whole squad? Jesus ****. Why he didn't do this before Romme game? They looked dead tired. ****

What the hell is his logic? Rest the players before important CL games instead of these tougher games. Now we will lose 3 points.

gr98

Is he taking the fucking piss? The time to do this was vs Leganes at HOME, he chooses to rotate basically the entire team at Celta AWAY where we haven't won since the 2014/15 season. :banghead:

Home of Barca Fans